• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Melee Map Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remixer

Map Reviewer
Level 31
I do not need help with anything instead I would like to discuss about how much people value terrain and its outlook in melee maps.

I have seen quite a few melee maps and I must say it seems not every of them values terrain. Also I make melee maps myself and it sometimes makes me wonder if I pay too much attention to the terrain.

What do you guys think?

Level 10
since the data is already balance for melee, its actually ALL about the terrain.
i think terrain is very important for the balance of a map (game).

Im not completely up to date about the strengths and weakness' of the melee races, but diffrent kinds of terrain favors certain builds. For example, a map with alot of chokes will favor ranged heroes and units. Im assuming certain races are more favored to fast expanding, others can defend a expansion easier etc etc.

Alot of it comes down to the META game, what strategies are favored for certain types of terrain for each race.

Making asymmetrical will make the map harder to balance likely more fun to play and replay. Symmetrical maps will ofcourse be more balanced but might get dull faster.

Level 32
My rating scale for melee maps

Gameplay -/30 (60%)
Factors include:
- Balance (item drops, resources, shops, creep camps, starting positions, etc)
- Creativity / Originality

Visuals -/20 (40%)
Factors include:
- Terrain tiles
- Doodad Placement
- Other aesthetics
I think Remixer isn't asking if a map's layout is important. I think he means the visuals / ambiance of a map when he uses the word terrain.

I know a few friends online that competitively play ranked melee, and they say they all say they don't care about the visuals. They want a map that is balanced between races and starting positions. Now what's better, a map with above below average visuals and great balance or great terrain with below average balance. Well, that depends on the player. However, from my observations most people don't care about terrain in general.

I'm not all for balance though. I'm not against imbalanced and asymmetrical maps. If a map is unique but imbalanced because of it, I won't rate the map low because of it. Same goes for a map has great terrain even if its imbalanced.

I really do appreciate maps with great visuals. It makes the map more memorable and enjoyable for me. It'd be interesting to see what others think about melee terrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.