• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dead Marshes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Hello Hive :)
I'm here to ask any of the terrain masters here if anyone have a kind of dead marsh, swamp lke terrain because I need some ideas and I dont have some fitting tiles or anything to make it look good. I'm including this to my map. You can check in map dev. thread.

Level 19
This should be in the requests section I think.
but if you're using the Vanilla editor Felwood is a great tileset to base a dead swamp off of.

I just need some ideas and I want to learn how to do it myself. :)

Basically you want an even mixture of dead/herbaceous plants like river rushes or reeds. You also want pools of water. Lots of them. Like, everywhere. Couple that with a gloomy fog setting and your marsh's pretty much done. The rest is details. Take a look at the surrounding environment of oGre_'s Refuge in Ruins to get some clues to tile usage and plant life (or lack thereof).

Thank you for your suggestions :)

Level 10
That depends a lot on how good (or rather experienced) you are.

For the start I'd suggest to go with a big area of shallow water where you raise some small pieces of land out of it (raise tool, make water with rolling shores, if you don't know how this works look for the 'rolling shores' tut on hive). Set the water color to something murky (darkgreen/brown). In the UTM there are some swapy looking trees (willow trees, i think). Then connect the islands with wooden ways over the swamp (water). Adding some bubbles coming from the water might also look nice (here it is possible that you need to make some edits in magos for example).

I hope this is what you wanted to know...

Level 19
Here is what I've done so far.
241119-albums8058-picture96408.png

Edit: Could you give me the willow thingy that you said. The UTM was too big I can't dl it. :( I've change the fog into green fog.

Level 10
well, idk but I can't see the image. Have you uploaded it to your hive gallery? Maybe you messed up the BBCode?

Level 10
ok, so thats nearly what I ment. One question: What kind of map will this be? In my opinion the type of map decides alot about how to approach the terraining.

On a side note: The normal Wc3 fog looks pretty bad. You should try to use a custom fog model, and only in some places, not over the whole area.

EDIT: Another idea would be: Set the water to green, and use mushrooms instead of trees? would be a simple change but with a nice effect. This would need you to use
the custom WaterPlane.mdx model, as you can't have two different water colors in one and the same map (as far as I know). Another color theme could be orange, with
Lordaeron Fall tiles (brown), and fall trees + Orange mushrooms?

Level 14
I think I would suggest removing the waves on the rolling shores to make it seem more stagnant. I have an area that is in my campaign called the Dredmarsh. I think it might have some of the things you are looking for. There is a link to my albums in my sig and you can find the one called The Dredmarsh to see what I have so far. If you find some models you like I can see if I can find them and send you a link.

Level 19
One question: What kind of map will this be? In my opinion the type of map decides alot about how to approach the terraining.

It's a strategy/altered melee like map.

Dungeon ground fog weather effect looks bad. Use the cloudfx doodad from the UTM, or something like that.

Also, shrub abuse. Try looking for some different shrub models and mixing it up a bit.

Didn't like the fog too but I can't find any cloud/fog sfx. The shrubs looks satisfying to me.

I think I would suggest removing the waves on the rolling shores to make it seem more stagnant.

How would I do that?

Level 19
Apparently, you don't listen much to advice.

Actually I do listen to other people's advices. What I mean is the shrub is just fine. I' just need to find more suiting models and I'm searching for replacement of the bushes/shrubs in editor because it doesn't look good.

Level 14
You can remove the waves on rolling shores by going to Scenario > Map Options and unticking Show water waves on rolling shores.

Keep in mind, however, that this will remove them from the entire map, so it may not be what you want. I just realized from your minimap that this looks like a small section of a larger map rather than an entire map of a marsh

Level 14
I'm not sure if there is a way to disable to waves through triggers or just for a certain area. I guess you could always remove them and add them in manually wherever you want to have them. But that would be pretty time consuming.

Level 10
^That, or use the WaterPlane.mdx for your swamp. Yes, it's a bit more work, but then you can make it have a different colour than the water in the rest of your map, if you want.

Level 19
I'll see what I can do. Right I'm not on my pc.

Edt: Here is the newer one. I couldn't use the cloudsfx in UTM because it can't be loaded in my map. Maybe something is missing in the textures.

241119-albums8058-picture96507.png

241119-albums8058-picture96508.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.