• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SC2 DotA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
There will be no dota for starcraft2 but the first week that the game will be released millions of dota-like maps will be released and if Icefrog will try to make an AOS2 map don't count on his success cause dota started it fame on luck (its a 4/5 map though)

Level 12
Not to get in to a fight about dota. as almost all dota talks become...

I personally have no problem with dota. I personally have no problem that some people only decided to try dota. I don't see any reason to be such a hater of a game or the people playing it.

I am not saying dota the best game ever, and i am not saying it isn't. I am just saying that to me it sounds like you don't like the idea of a dota game because then the people who enjoy that sorta thing, wont try your map that they may enjoy. Or You mean that people will find the first map made and might enjoy it so they wont try yours. Just because some people don't try other games and assume dota is the only decent one out there, i don't blame dota i blame the people.

I Personally feel that if a game is good enough in the the public's eye, that it will grow to the point that many people who don't try other custom games will consider giving it a shot.

Anyway, Thats just my opinion i am not trying to change yours just telling you what i think.

Level 21
woohoo for defense of the aliens...

On a more serious note: there's a chance dota will fail on sc2. The starcraft fanbase might not at all be interested in dota, and the warcraft fanbase is said to "keep playing warcraft 3". Many dota players might simply stick to warcraft.

And there's always the asian servers. either way, aos won't be that popular there, I assume.

Level 6
To begin with, it's not even sure if Icefrog makes a dota for SCII.

Source; Icefrog's blog.

Icefrog said:
Q: Any plans on creating DotA for SC2 once it is out?

A: I certainly plan on playing SC2; I am a huge fan of the original Starcraft. It is hard for me to say whether I will do modding for Starcraft 2 at this point. It depends a lot on what capabilities the editor will have, so it is too early to give an answer right now. In either case though, I enjoy what I'm doing and have no plans to stop development on Warcraft 3 anytime soon.

And tbh, who cares if it does (Take over SCII)?

Level 6
That somebody will probably fail like all the thousands of them there is for WcIII ... God I hate those maps..

Level 6
We can also hope that the editor for SCII becomes a bit too difficult for all the retarded copycats. They promise more possibilities, that has to make it somewhat more difficult to use (For a retard).

Level 22
That's why I'm a melee player in the first place and whether there will be dota or not I don't care. Even tho I've been making maps since war2 and starcraft, I couldn't miss to make smth custom throughout the years, I've never been as 'deep' mapmaker as many here.

Level 2
I could care less if there is a DotA map for SC2, I'd rather have blizzard make a useful interface for finding custom maps. They can do WAY better than what they have right now. If we had a good map searching/filtering system, then there wouldn't even be a problem.

Level 11
Well, Guinso(original maker of DotA) is making League of Legends and i think that this game will finish off DotA mod for wc3. And i think that DotA comes from SC1 does it ? And SC2 editor will have hero system i think. I think i saw it somewhere. Will be very advanced editor.

Last edited:
Level 6
Bboy-tiger-; You are so lost atm, it doesn't matter if any map comes that's better than dota. It's like saying CS; Source was going to take over 1.6.

The players play DotA because they are good at it and think it's fun and balanced. They don't care if some other map is slightly better.

Level 11
Bboy-tiger-; You are so lost atm, it doesn't matter if any map comes that's better than dota. It's like saying CS; Source was going to take over 1.6.

The players play DotA because they are good at it and think it's fun and balanced. They don't care if some other map is slightly better.

No, League of Legends is a game not a map, and more than half ppl playing dota will turn to LoL game. I also stopped playin dota and when LoL comes out will check it out.

"It's like saying CS; Source was going to take over 1.6."
It's like saying a new game based on original idea will take over a map(mod) created for older game(wc3/sc1). It will, mostly. >>At least I think that way.<<

But that is OFF topic mostly, i think DotA wont apear in SC2 as original idea, AoS maps will, and that wont be DotA on 1st place.

Level 15
I think that aeon of strife is a gameplay with humongious replay feature and with the heroes bursting to born, it will make it even highly replayable. I do think that Ice Frog will take his time to make DotA even more awesome than in warcraft. For me, I am also a map maker no different from any other. I will make my own version of my own map and implement it in Starcraft 2 and I really do like starcraft 2's graphic. However I am afraid that resources will be limited, therefore heroes from warcraft can no longer be imported directly, however gameplay can still be implemented. Not sure about item system though..

Level 36

And because other people play it. LOTS of other people. A large gamer community is always a great reason to play a game.

dota will never make it in the sc univers. it will be out of place and weird...

AoS was in Starcraft. I'd imagine AoS2 will be in SC2, and whether people here want to admit it or not, it's the SAME THING AS DOTA, but with different heroes and items.

Level 9
I hope that the mod used in WC3: WoW will be used in a AoS - imagine 50 256x256 maps in an aos! Its a shame, because all AoS are not bad, Hosk for example, has recipes, tower captures and custom heroes. What does DOTA have? Recipes. If the project I'm working on with others is successful [Oblivion] then I may consider making a first person shooter AoS here.

Level 13
DotA is a well-made map, to some extent. It has its flaws, but so does every other map. But it's just that - DotA is played so much that by sane logic you'd expect it to be the shining holy grail that defines the world's existence, but it isn't. DotA is just an above average map that is horribly overplayed because a (lucky) hackjob decided to take it over and sponsor some tournaments, then dedicate his life toward monopolizing battle.net rather than perfect the map he took.

Level 2
The sheer lack of knowledge in this topic astounds me. I don't post here but I read this topic and was pretty taken aback by people's lack of knowledge on this topic. So I guess I'll fill some people in.

AoS was in Starcraft. I'd imagine AoS2 will be in SC2, and whether people here want to admit it or not, it's the SAME THING AS DOTA, but with different heroes and items.

No AOS is not even close to the same thing as DOTA. AOS was players against a computer. It was a one-team game. You "won" the map similar to the hero-defense maps that exist on warcraft 3 right now. The only similarities were the spawned units going against each other and killing the other team's main. Anybody who says otherwise has no idea what Aeon of Strife is and obviously didn't play the original.

Next to the morons expecting IceFrog to simply port DOTA to SC2: NOT HAPPENING. Sure any SC2 map IceFrog makes will have SOME sort of cult following because of his popularity due to his work on DOTA: Allstars. However, the guy is already tied up enough in his work on Warcraft, there's simply no way he could mod Warcraft, play Starcraft 2 and then find the time to create and update a Starcraft 2 mod of DOTA's magnitude without changing his priorities greatly. And this comes from someone who knows absolutely nothing about Icefrog's real life.

Lastly, the people in this topic who don't know the SC2 editor's capabilities should definitely read this paragraph. Items, experience and level-up capabilities will all be included in the Editor. The only thing that remains to be seen is whether or not hero attributes will be incorporated into the in-game interface (Strength, Agility, Intelligence in WC3) and if so, whether or not they'd be customizable.

Simply because the fantasy theme of DOTA on Warcraft doesn't necessarily "fit in" to the Starcraft universe does not mean a great AOS map cannot be made. The power of this new editor remains to be seen, but the Data editor will give the freedom to create any spell someone wants from scratch without having to "base it off another spell" so to speak. Furthermore the ability to define syntax and libraries within the editor and increased functionality of the User-Interface portion of the trigger editor will make it much easier to create maps with wide varieties of functionality and spells or abilities.

So AOS =/= DOTA despite it being credited for inspiring Eul to create DOTA, Icefrog won't port DOTA to SC2, and yes the editor/universe for SC2 are powerful enough to create amazingly vast and diverse AOS maps.

Level 7
I'm sure I wouldn't hate Dota if maybe I could play it long enough without the pros getting all pissed at me so I could actually...you know play it? and learn how to play it?

I'm sure I wouldn't hate Dota if maybe it didn't make up 4 out of 5 games. But it does.

So I hate Dota to the extreme. And in fact I don't like AoS's a whole lot as it is, because a lot of them are bad when it comes to people who've already played it.

Tolerance for noobs is getting to the point for all games where, if your a noob your hopes for a noob-friendly game is so low, most don't count on it.

I'm sure there will be many dota-wannbes. Maybe even an official dota. I just hope that those of us who..aren't a fan, can make really creative custom games to beat those wannabe and make it so it doesn't take over.

We can hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.