• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pewdiepie knows Starcraft!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

It's easy to know about Starcraft. It seems like it's pretty popular. Not like Wc3 was though.
It isn't anymore. The "n million players on battle.net" is misleading, it actualli is every game Blizzard has under bnet 2.0; D3, SC2, WoW, HS, HoS. And when WoW and HS taking like, 80% of that player base, you'll see how unpopular Starcraft 2 is.

Just look how low it's dropped in twitch's list: http://www.twitch.tv/directory

Level 18
It isn't anymore. The "n million players on battle.net" is misleading, it actualli is every game Blizzard has under bnet 2.0; D3, SC2, WoW, HS, HoS. And when WoW and HS taking like, 80% of that player base, you'll see how unpopular Starcraft 2 is.

Just look how low it's dropped in twitch's list: http://www.twitch.tv/directory

Yeah, that's only when major tournaments aren't going on.

You should stay up until 2AM PST and watch the KR streams, or stuff like ESL, Dreamhack, etc, SC2 will be top 3.

If you're talking about the viewership of individual streams out of tournaments, then there's a very obvious reason. Accessibility. Games like Minecraft, League, Hearthstone and DOTA are essentially free and so well known. The free part is a big reason why it's popular, not to mention the addictive nature of the game. SC2 isn't addictive for most players, it's fun and it's competitive, but I have no reason to play SC2 except for the bond I've had since 98 with it, the gameplay and the story. Not even to mention that SC2 has no microtransaction system or anything to keep players playing besides ladder. Arcade is awful, Custom Games don't exist, and the campaign is good in gameplay, but lacking in writing compared to the original.

SC2 is popular for esports in terms of major tournaments as DotA and League are, but as a single player experience, it's not. Another reason is toxicity, which is a natural consequence of kids being given access to games, this was seen earlier in the previous decade with Call of Duty 3 and the rise of the Xbox 360. Games like League, CoD, etc create a brooding ground for hostility instead of calm thinking, so playing a strategy game is going to turn off most players. People want to watch the experience of a streamer, the caster, and the positivity, not think about the negative nature of the community. Why would I pay $40+ for a game that will just enrage me, and have no other reason to play it except for me putting hours into it for bragging rights because I have a diamond border?

There's no gain out of SC2 unless you are going pro, so no one cares. League is based off teams, so you involve friends, and there are skins, wards and champions to buy, or grind for.

SC2 is popular because of the original game, not because of SC2 itself.

Level 29
Arcade is awful, Custom Games don't exist
Felt the need to heavily concur, there. If the mod-maps didnt exist wouldve been done with SC2 the moment ive realized every 2 out of 3 opponents on the ladder are portrait-farmbots that always pick the highly predictable cheese route and im never gonna get promoted anyways.
Also i dont like the way my favourite Terran faction has been re-made. Remember the glorious min-7 rushes ? you cant do such a thing in SC2.
Protoss remains the most popular faction since an BW player coming to SC2 can instantly recognize their gameplay and the tactics associated with it, where the other two got basically re-booted Protoss got enhanced upon its 'BW-core', as it should be. Oh and 'imb4 protoss-deathball a-moving' according to some, does contribute to their popularity.
That being said things like portraits and decals to farm for that would keep players on the game do actually exist, and they were enhanced upon with HotS as new unit skins and silly dances got added to unlock alongside an faction leveling system.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Do be aware that it is per region.

Also they do show you SC2 only metrics if you bother waiting at the main menu long enough. It is not like they even try and hide it. The main issues is most of those players are on melee so not even looking or touching Arcade.

Felt the need to heavily concur, there. If the mod-maps didnt exist wouldve been done with SC2 the moment ive realized every 2 out of 3 opponents on the ladder are portrait-farmbots that always pick the highly predictable cheese route and im never gonna get promoted anyways.
Also i dont like the way my favourite Terran faction has been re-made. Remember the glorious min-7 rushes ? you cant do such a thing in SC2.
I am sorry but "learn to play" springs to mind. Cheese routes will fail >>90% of the time against people who know what they are doing, thus why it is called cheese and not legitimate playing.

Protoss remains the most popular faction since an BW player coming to SC2 can instantly recognize their gameplay and the tactics associated with it, where the other two got basically re-booted Protoss got enhanced upon its 'BW-core', as it should be. Oh and 'imb4 protoss-deathball a-moving' according to some, does contribute to their popularity.
I thought it was all "Zerg = OP" at the moment. Well at least it has gone full circle from Terran being OP to Protoss being OP and now Zerg. Soon it will be Terran again with LotV.

Arcade is awful, Custom Games don't exist
Still beats WC3 by lightyears. God WC3 is so depressing now. I cannot even get a game of SWAT aftermath going with more than 3 players (of which half actively leave a few minutes in). At least in SC2 Arcade I can get some full house sessions.

Level 18
Still beats WC3 by lightyears. God WC3 is so depressing now. I cannot even get a game of SWAT aftermath going with more than 3 players (of which half actively leave a few minutes in). At least in SC2 Arcade I can get some full house sessions.

Well that's because Wc3 is dated, clunky and honestly pretty ugly. Also, the hosting is broken.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Also, the hosting is broken.
Yeah, it's like they wanted us to use bots :/

Nah it's most likely because in sc2, the game is hosted by the server, whereas in wc3 it's hosted by a player.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
WC3 and SC2 traded places. Now SC2 has the ability to show games with actual players in their lobby instead of the zombie list it was released with. WC3 used to do that when players actually hosted their own sessions but now it is a zombie list of host robots. Kind of ironic as the one feature people complained the most about SC2 that WC3 did better is now the opposite.

Level 18
Yeah, it's like they wanted us to use bots :/

Nah it's most likely because in sc2, the game is hosted by the server, whereas in wc3 it's hosted by a player.

Well most people don't like that.

I hate how Blizzard has changed the coin of Battle.net. The whole point of Battle.net was that they didn't want players to rely on a server for connection to eachother. The server was just used as a bridge while everything was hosted by the players (src. D1, D2, Wc2, Wc3, Sc1)

The fact they dont want LAN is re-tar-ded. SC2 isnt that big of a deal to be pirated anyway.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The fact they dont want LAN is re-tar-ded.
Only 1% or less of people use LAN for its intended purpose anyway. Their servers are reliable enough as well that you do not have major outage issues.

Incorrect. Diablo II games were hosted by BattleNet servers. Thus why your necromancer would be kicked for spamming too many summons, walls etc.

WC3 melee was also hosted by BattleNet to stop cheating.

SC2 isnt that big of a deal to be pirated anyway.
Or maybe because it cannot be pirated? I mean every single arcade map can be played COMPLETLY FREE.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Also your LAN assumptions are incorrect. Tournaments aren't as big because of this BNet bs.
There is actually a special server software for tournaments which costs quite a bit for a licence. This is also one of the reasons behind no LAN as they sell it as a feature for tournaments.

Even still 99% of people using LAN in WC3 are abusing it by exposing a VPN (WAN) as a LAN.

Level 13

Actually, I have no problem getting Full House games on Bnet ^^ Provided its a map people are familiar with and that whatever hosting bot I use is connected to Garena.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Provided its a map people are familiar with
I do not want to play the same maps I played 6 years ago... Sure they might not be exactly the same but they are basically the same map that has been slightly modified or re-made. Why do people even bother making new and unique maps if no one plays them ever?

The exception being SWAT Aftermath which is a map I wanted to visit a couple of times for old time sake. I waited in the lobby for 2 hours and no one joined next to map trawlers such as used by map gnome.

Level 5
I don't see how PewDiePie knowing StarCraft is so exciting...
I honestly think he is over rated, its good that he made this far within the gaming industry, it shows that a lot of people are nice. Well, scratch that, there are more toxic players than there are nice players.
Anyways, back on topic...
Yea, he knows StarCraft, cool, so what???

Status
Not open for further replies.