• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

How to get the .scm and .scx file icons (Open Starcraft maps by clicking them)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
I recently re-installed Starcraft Anthology (Starcraft brood War) on my Laptop. I noticed that on my computer, the .scm and .scx map files do not have that map or world icon (a green world for .scm and blue world for .w3x) like my old one. I'd really like to have that on my computer, so I was wondering how can I make it so that my computer uses those icons for .scm and .scx files? I am using Windows 7; I used to use Windows XP.

I been searching google for the regedit Fix, but I cant seem to find it.

Edit 1: I just want to correct icons, I did it with the "OpenWith" section already (before I made the post), all it did was associate "ALL" files(both SCM & SCX with the same icon), so it wasn't what I wanted.

The RegFix isn't important, just easier, since the file fixes it the correct way.

EDit 2: To help prove my point, I took a screenshot, this issue that was suggested doesn't fix the issue, plus when done it opens a BLANK map, not the one I clicked on.
As you can see all the map icons are the same (SCM & SCX)

maybe I am an idiot and need further help since I didn't configure it correctly.
SCM-SCX%20Issue.jpg

PS - I know this might NOT be in the right forum, I apologize.

Last edited:
Level 16
I made a post on the actual Blizzard Support Ticket, and I got this reply:
Dear JCarrill0,

This is GM Thunrix at your service. I hope you're doing great :)

If the content of the game changed, unfortunately we don’t have information on how to make those maps or icon reappear.

You may want to ask other players that are actively playing StarCraft Anthology on the Classic Games forum here:

http://us.battle.net/en/forum/

Have a good one. Thank you again for contacting us. It was a pleasure :)

I'll appreciate a lot if you mark this petition as resolved from Battle.net > SUPPORT > Support Tickets. If you have another issue you can contact me through ticket or chat, to talk in person.

/Hug
Thunrix
I even made a Support Forum Post HERE

Level 16
I assume you want it to look like this?
42l1k.jpg

Personally, I've gotten used to both .scm and .scx files having the same icon., but I wrote up a quick .reg to make it look like the above. Just update the path to wherever you installed SC (I keep my install in C:\Games\StarCraft):
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scm_auto_file]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scm_auto_file\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Games\\StarCraft\\StarEdit.exe,2"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scx_auto_file]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\scx_auto_file\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Games\\StarCraft\\StarEdit.exe,3"
Edit the two paths if necessary, and then save as a .reg and run it. You'll have to restart explorer to see the changes.

This is also a great time to mention if you have SC installed in Program Files, you should definitely reinstall it to somewhere else, as that location can cause problems.
I got the icons to show up, (with the REG I was given), however I still have an issue.

When I click on a map, it doesn't open the map, it just opens up the Editor to a blank map.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
For StarCraft II they use the following default...
"C:\Program Files (x86)\StarCraft II\Support64\SC2Editor_x64.exe" -loadfile "%1" -product SC2
This was placed in...
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SC2.Map\shell\open\command
StarCraft I will obviously need something similar to this. Which is linked to the file extension like...
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.SC2Map
(default) : SC2.Map

Status
Not open for further replies.