• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Unsolved] Unit issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
So, I've been having issues with a duplicated Queen unit recently - namely the unit's attack animation won't work properly.
The duplicated Queen is using the Swarm Queen model (Assets\Units\Zerg\ExpeditionQueenLevel1\ExpeditionQueenLevel1.m3).
Instead of the Queen's attack animation the Queen appears to be playing some kind of leg shuffle animation.
My map only has the "Swarm (Mod)" dependency.

Here's a list of things I duplicated for the Queen in case it helps any.

Code:
 [B]Actors:[/B]

[I][SIZE="2"]Acid Spines Attack
Acid Spines Attack Missile
Queen 1
Queen_Death
QueenAttack
Talons LMAttack
Talons LMAttack Missile

Effects:

Acid Spines
Queen - Talons (Create Persistent)
Queen - Talons (Damage)
Roach - Acid Spines (Launch Missile)
Talons LM
Talons Missile Burst
Talons Missile Damage

Models:

Acid Spines Attack Launch
Acid Spines Weapon
Portrait - Queen
Queen
Queen - Attack Launch (Level 1)
Queen Death
Queen Death Acid
Queen Death Fire
Queen Death Ragdoll
Queen Missile Impact
Talons Missile Weapon

Movers:

Acid Spines Weapon
Talons Missile Weapon

Sounds:

AcidSpines_AttackImpact
AcidSpines_AttackLaunch
Queen_AttackImpact
Queen_AttackLaunch
Queen_Death

Units:

Acid Spines Weapon
Talons Missile

Weapons:

Queen - Acid Spines (Air Attack)
Queen - Talons (Ground Attack)
Talons[/SIZE][/I]

What could cause the attack animation to not work properly?

I'm sorry for the recent flood of questions, I've only recently got back to Starcraft II mapmaking and there's a ton of things I still don't know. :l

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
What could cause the attack animation to not work properly?
Incorrect weapon or effect reference in the duplicated unit actor's events fields. It needs to reference the duplicated weapons or effects and not the original (what was duplicated) weapons and effects. The actor events field controls when the actor is created, destroyed and what it does when the unit does certain things. It can range from playing a point upwards attack animation when shooting something higher up than the actor to playing the morph and cannon animations when the Thor casts its cannon ability.

I'm sorry for the recent flood of questions, I've only recently got back to Starcraft II mapmaking and there's a ton of things I still don't know. :l
If it was not for people like you the section might as well be closed! That is how often questions are asked on average lol.

Level 9
So it is an actor related issue after all.

I wonder if it has something to do with me renaming the duplicated unit but leaving the duplicated actor unmodified...

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Actor duplication has always been bad. So bad in fact that they added a warning dialog that references may be incorrect.

You need to manually check all the actor events and make sure they link to the correct data. If a unit is failing to do something like appear to shoot or attack then chances are that some of the actors involved have incorrect events.

Level 9
Gosh, I've been trying to do this for 2 days now and I can't seem to get it right.
I'll give it a go again in a moment. :/

Level 9
After comparing the values of the HotS campaign Broodmother and messing with the actors for ages I managed to get it working.
Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.