• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pandemic [Urban Infection Survival]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Header.png

.......Hey guys how's it going, my months of planning for Pandemic has finally paid off. Just a few days ago i finally got myself a beta key, and although you can edit maps without the key i found it necessary. The past few days i have been powering down on the game, focusing primarily on smoothing out the gameplay aspect of the game while completely altering the path the game was originally going to head down. Below is a video demonstrating my progress after a few days, presenting: movement, stores, UI, sprinting, and more.

Please watch the video here, in 1080p HD and fullscreen

Gameplay Information:

.......Pandemic is a 5v5 versus game. At the beginning of the match a team is selected to play as the survivors and a team is selected to play as the infected. The objective of the game for the survivors is to survive as long as possible using teamwork, tactics and each other to achieve the highest score possible. The main objective for the infected is to score as many points as they can by causing damage, havoc, and eventually killing all the survivors. After the survivors have been killed the sides are switched. Previous survivors are now infected and vice versa. At the end of the game the scores are added up and the team with the highest score wins the game.​

Currently looking for a Terrainer and Data Editor to work on the project closely with me, PM me and post in this thread for more information.

Please disregard the old pandemic thread, the game is taking a different path in terms of gameplay and units. The same core concept is the same so refer there if you please.

Level 3
Loved the Vid.... I am working on my own map Zombie map so was really cool to see ur progress. I now need to yell at people for being lazy :p and get back to my modeling u should msg me on skype, msn, or aim sometime
Skype Toukichiro_
Aim Touking
Msn [email protected]

Level 26
Wow dude, that looks like it could be really awesome. Custom models would make that game super badass, so you could, like ya said, walk backwards. Maybe make it so the weapons you buy appear in the marine's hands. Hell, id love to make custom sc2 models myself. But what programs make .m3 format models?

Good luck on your project btw. Movement looks buttersmooth, sprint and health bars are fantastic looking. I cant wait to see the amo counter.

Level 3
Lightwave makes .m3..... But I doubt it the correct format for sc2... Because for example CSS uses .mdl so does wc3 but the models don't work :D...

Level 9
Wow dude, that looks like it could be really awesome. Custom models would make that game super badass, so you could, like ya said, walk backwards. Maybe make it so the weapons you buy appear in the marine's hands. Hell, id love to make custom sc2 models myself. But what programs make .m3 format models?

Good luck on your project btw. Movement looks buttersmooth, sprint and health bars are fantastic looking. I cant wait to see the ammo counter.

Thanks for the comments man. Currently there is no program that can export to the correct .m3 format that SC2 uses. There is an importer for 3ds max but blizzard is expected to release exporting art tools in the near future which will allow me to start working on custom models. Once i get the shooting system figured out it's all downhill from there. To my dismay they took out both the damage target and damage area trigger functions, which kind of screwed me.

Level 9
Nice looking project. All the best to you. About the damage target and damage area, blizzard change it to:
  • Environment - Create Effect at Point from player 1
  • Environment - Create Effect at Point from (Triggering unit)
  • Environment - Create Effect on Target from player 1
  • Environment - Create Effect on Target from (Triggering unit)
Damage will be base on the effect you created. Upgrades will also affect it which make it cool [: Although we can't really customize our damage now. The best bet is to base it on the character's weapon.

Level 9
Nice looking project. All the best to you. About the damage target and damage area, blizzard change it to:
  • Environment - Create Effect at Point from player 1
  • Environment - Create Effect at Point from (Triggering unit)
  • Environment - Create Effect on Target from player 1
  • Environment - Create Effect on Target from (Triggering unit)
Damage will be base on the effect you created. Upgrades will also affect it which make it cool [: Although we can't really customize our damage now. The best bet is to base it on the character's weapon.

Yeah im trying to figure out a way to project a line from the player in the direction of crosshair, creating a path that a projectile can follow. I'm stumped though.

Level 9
Maybe removing the crosshair and making the game 3 playing areas. Bottom, middle and high.

Bottom = When crouching(If implemented)
Middle = When standing up
High = When jumping

Someone made your wanted projectile system, its from the SC2Mapster site

Edit. Wrong link, sorry. Here's the one I was talking about

Attachments

• 3PShooter_Advanced.SC2Map
    133.2 KB · Views: 184
Level 9
Maybe removing the crosshair and making the game 3 playing areas. Bottom, middle and high.

Bottom = When crouching(If implemented)
Middle = When standing up
High = When jumping

Someone made your wanted projectile system, its from the SC2Mapster site

Edit. Wrong link, sorry. Here's the one I was talking about

Thanks for the link! and i dont quite understand what you meen by three playing areas, care to elaborate?

..... lol nice map. I like the rusty felling about it.
The only thing i can realy comment on is make the character to face the cursor so i gives it a more proffesional feel.

Plus it means it doesnt shoot backwards while running forwards. Also the jump looks unrealistic. Make the jump fast then set hight rate lower then set when going down to speed up so it goes like this.
,,,,,--
....-,,,,-
-..........-

unlike

..---
.-...-
-.....-

which looks very unrealistic and generic. Also keep check of the level so when some1 jumps of a cliff they keep going untill they hit the ground you can do this buy checking the cliff level and check if how far he moves farther if it is lower if so Take the higher cliff level and minus it by the lower cliff level and times the remaining number by 128 e.g

Cliff level 5
----------
----------
----------\
----------- cliff level 1.
Meaning if you jump off the cliff it adds 512 flying height so you jump smoothly of the edge of the cliff. Also if your speed going down is realy fast you can divide it by 20 and take it off the units hp meaning it takes damage falling off :D.

For your cursor make it a dialog at the center of the screen make it a X or somthing and if you fire for too long it gets bigger and destorts where you shoot so it doesnt shoot straight off the mark where you aim so you can spam hs. Also for hs do some expirementing with fly heights until you find the fly height of the bullet around the head so if it is around 5 off its still hits as a hs.

for the aiming projectile make a bullet around the ground ( flying height maybe 20-30 uhm if you can make special effects fly not on ground even better if you cant use a unit ) Okay set the flying height to that then using a knockback trigger like your jump only knockfoward and check infron if the cliff infront is high if not use the jump trigger i gave you for the bullet, if it is high kill the unit because this will mean it is easier for you to trigger a trigger without making a run trigger trigger. if you want em to hit destructable (not shore if you can track doodads) check if one is infront and check cliff height and fly height of the unit if the fly height is above the doodad ( youll have to find this out yourself )kill or let it fly past. For explosions well meh me bored XD

Level 9
..... lol nice map. I like the rusty felling about it.
The only thing i can realy comment on is make the character to face the cursor so i gives it a more proffesional feel.

Plus it means it doesnt shoot backwards while running forwards. Also the jump looks unrealistic. Make the jump fast then set hight rate lower then set when going down to speed up so it goes like this.
,,,,,--
....-,,,,-
-..........-

unlike

..---
.-...-
-.....-

which looks very unrealistic and generic. Also keep check of the level so when some1 jumps of a cliff they keep going untill they hit the ground you can do this buy checking the cliff level and check if how far he moves farther if it is lower if so Take the higher cliff level and minus it by the lower cliff level and times the remaining number by 128 e.g

Cliff level 5
----------
----------
----------\
----------- cliff level 1.
Meaning if you jump off the cliff it adds 512 flying height so you jump smoothly of the edge of the cliff. Also if your speed going down is realy fast you can divide it by 20 and take it off the units hp meaning it takes damage falling off :D.

For your cursor make it a dialog at the center of the screen make it a X or somthing and if you fire for too long it gets bigger and destorts where you shoot so it doesnt shoot straight off the mark where you aim so you can spam hs. Also for hs do some expirementing with fly heights until you find the fly height of the bullet around the head so if it is around 5 off its still hits as a hs.

for the aiming projectile make a bullet around the ground ( flying height maybe 20-30 uhm if you can make special effects fly not on ground even better if you cant use a unit ) Okay set the flying height to that then using a knockback trigger like your jump only knockfoward and check infron if the cliff infront is high if not use the jump trigger i gave you for the bullet, if it is high kill the unit because this will mean it is easier for you to trigger a trigger without making a run trigger trigger. if you want em to hit destructable (not shore if you can track doodads) check if one is infront and check cliff height and fly height of the unit if the fly height is above the doodad ( youll have to find this out yourself )kill or let it fly past. For explosions well meh me bored XD

Um why would i ever make the character face the crosshair? If you've played any maps like this they are completely shitty. Good third person shooters allow camera movement to see whats behind you, whats going on, without affecting your character. To move the character inline with the camera all you have to do is hit a key or click the left mouse button. Aligning the character with crosshair would be a huge mistake and ruin the game.

The jump is also very realistic. I have a longer hang time at the top and a faster one coming down, so i don't see where you're getting this info. Thanks for trying to help though. I don't quite understand your projectile system, but by the sound of it you're suggesting that i set the height of it equal to my height and send it forward, no, this wont work because you have to be able to aim. The crosshair idea isn't bad and i'll probably implement that, thank you.

Level 9
nice1, will definatly check this out when its done!
the only thing i can comment on (as modeling is my job and i dont know shit about triggering) is that its not using any stamina if u r jumping.. might wanna implement that..

Stamina? The bottom right bar is for sprinting only, doesn't have to do with stamina, good idea though.

Level 9
oh, i thought it would resemble stamina overall, not just "sprinting" in particular...
and i am talking about the bottom left one, i dont see any bottom right ui ;)

Meant bottom left haha, not sure if i'll change it to stamina, but this is just a test version of the game, it is bound to change

Level 9
Maybe you should add a evade maneuver. Using the control or alt key, you could make the player crouch when immobile upon click and roll when moving

Stamina could be used as a basis for accuracy, affecting weapon spread

A laser pointer could be attached to a custom model in order to aim your weapons instead of a cross-hair as a placement effect for the cross-hair aiming until you can figure out how to create the effect of the projectile moving towards the cross-hair

Also, the three layers work like this
Each layer affects the player's hit-box height without affecting the width. The player's hit-box appears as your inputted X and a custom Y value. Hit-box height usually only affects projectiles due to the fact that melee attacks will always hit while the attacker is standing up

Layer 1 - This layer portrays the player in a crouching position. This layer reduces the player's hit-box height by half, while slowing him or her down from the crouch's effect

Layer 2 - This is the default layer for the player. This layer has a default hit-box height value, making the player vulnerable to any projectile living within layer 1 and 2

Layer 3 - This layer is created when the player jumps. The player's hit-box height is moved up by half into the air. This layer is hard to maneuver due to the limitations of jumping, but can be used to dodge attacks in the first layer and ground specific attacks such as mines

Level 9
Maybe you should add a evade maneuver. Using the control or alt key, you could make the player crouch when immobile upon click and roll when moving

Stamina could be used as a basis for accuracy, affecting weapon spread

A laser pointer could be attached to a custom model in order to aim your weapons instead of a cross-hair as a placement effect for the cross-hair aiming until you can figure out how to create the effect of the projectile moving towards the cross-hair

Also, the three layers work like this

Brilliant ideas. As soon as we can start getting custom models into the game (when blizzard releases the art tools) hopefully i can get an animator to start doing dodging moves such as side rolls, front flips etc. Should be really tight. I'v found a few shooting systems and i'm contacting the authors trying to get a hold of their content. Hopefully the game will make a huge advancment in this next week. Expect a full on shooting system within a week.

Last edited:
okay i found a tracline function tutorial meaning ACCURATE bullet watching. All you need to do is set the effect how much dammage the bullet does and the height of the unit so you can set where the effect is. Also you can help make HS but i dought Head Shots will matter in a TPS

http://forums.sc2mapster.com/develo...gger-how-to-target-with-mouselook-tracelines/

WARNING: does use Galaxy Script but is easy to implament when finidhed :D

Last edited:
Level 9
okay i found a tracline function tutorial meaning ACCURATE bullet watching. All you need to do is set the effect how much dammage the bullet does and the height of the unit so you can set where the effect is. Also you can help make HS but i dought Head Shots will matter in a TPS

http://forums.sc2mapster.com/develo...gger-how-to-target-with-mouselook-tracelines/

WARNING: does use Galaxy Script but is easy to implament when finidhed :D

Awesome thanks for the link ill get working on this right now

Level 10
Hmm, well, considering it is 3rd person, you could just keep it to the x,y of the mouse and use a set Z.

So that would make it that you pick where you shoot at, but it will always be at the same height level.

That would make it a little more, dare I say "Gauntlet" like, and maybe even considered a little more "arcade" like, but it would work.

But do whatever you want!

Your first vid was nice, good luck with it.

Level 9
Hmm, well, considering it is 3rd person, you could just keep it to the x,y of the mouse and use a set Z.

So that would make it that you pick where you shoot at, but it will always be at the same height level.

That would make it a little more, dare I say "Gauntlet" like, and maybe even considered a little more "arcade" like, but it would work.

But do whatever you want!

Your first vid was nice, good luck with it.

I've already stated that this won't work because there is no way to detect intersection, the attacks do not follow mouse movement and you cant shoot into the sky.

Level 9
Been working on traceline and some random trigger stuff to build up my skill in the galaxy editor.

Level 2
Looks good from when I last saw it. Will be a very good game to look forward too when Starcraft 2 is released along with these others.

On a side note; Bane check your PM when you can, unless you already checked it out earilier. Good work so far!

Level 2
Interesting work so far. Something that worked pretty well in one of my maps is to increase your unit's movement speed while jumping, and then reverting to normal movement speed when landing. This makes it useful as a form of escape/evasion, especially if it uses your Sprint bar. I found that increasing movement speed by about 6-10 (depending on unit scale) while in the air gives a good approximation for a running jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.