• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Simple Item Durability System v1.1 [GUI]

- This system will allow your items to have durability.
- It is useful for RPGs, to add "realistic" to the gameplay.
- The durability will be reduced on chance per damage received (unique to each item).
- Supports only Heroes.
- It is in GUI !

NOTE: This system does not work with items that is Charged on its own. Do not use this system with that kind of item because this system uses Item Charge as its durability, it cannot be together.

External Instruction
- Open World Editor -> File -> Preferences... -> General Tab -> Tick the Automatically create unknown variables while pasting trigger data.
- Copy the folder Simple Item Durability System and paste it in your Trigger Editor.

Internal Instructions
- ID_ItemType sets which item you want
- ID_Durability sets the durability counter for that item
- ID_DurabilityChance sets the percentage for the durability counter to be reduced

To register items into the system, all you need to do is this;
  • Set ID_ItemType = YourDesiredItem
  • Set ID_Durability = YourDesiredDurability
  • Set ID_DurabilityChance = YourDesiredChance
  • Trigger - Run ID Save <gen> (ignoring conditions)
- Follow those 4 actions and you have your item registered into the system.

• ID Setup
    • Events
      • Map initialization
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Custom script: set udg_ID_Hashtable = InitHashtable()
      • -------- ---------- --------
      • -------- ID_ItemType sets which item you want --------
      • -------- ID_Durability sets the durability counter for that item --------
      • -------- If it is set to 10, it would require 10 points to be reduced before the item is destroyed --------
      • -------- ID_DurabilityChance sets the percentage for the durability counter to be reduced --------
      • -------- If it is set to 10, there would be 10% chance for the Durability of that item to be reduced by 1 point per damage received --------
      • -------- Chance ranging from 0% to 100% --------
      • -------- DATA CONFIGURABLES --------
      • Set ID_ItemType = Claws of Attack +12
      • Set ID_Durability = 5
      • Set ID_DurabilityChance = 5
      • Set ID_ItemType = Hood of Cunning
      • Set ID_Durability = 10
      • Set ID_DurabilityChance = 5
      • Set ID_ItemType = Mantle of Intelligence +3
      • Set ID_Durability = 7
      • Set ID_DurabilityChance = 10
      • Set ID_ItemType = Boots of Speed
      • Set ID_Durability = 8
      • Set ID_DurabilityChance = 7
      • Set ID_ItemType = Talisman of Evasion
      • Set ID_Durability = 2
      • Set ID_DurabilityChance = 15
      • Set ID_ItemType = Ring of Protection +2
      • Set ID_Durability = 2
      • Set ID_DurabilityChance = 15
      • -------- NEXT ITEM EXAMPLE --------
      • -------- Set ID_ItemType = YourItemType --------
      • -------- Set ID_Durability = YourDurabilityCounter --------
      • -------- Set ID_DurabilityChance = YourDurabilityPercentageToBeReduced --------
      • -------- Trigger - Run ID Save <gen> (ignoring conditions) --------
      • -------- END OF DATA CONFIGURABLES --------
      • -------- ID_BreakItemMessage sets the floating text message after the name of the item --------
      • -------- Remember to put a space before you write the message --------
      • -------- MISC CONFIGURABLES --------
      • Set ID_BreakItemMessage = has broken.
      • Set PlayerColor[1] = |CFFFF0303
      • Set PlayerColor[2] = |CFF0042FF
      • Set PlayerColor[3] = |CFF1CB619
      • Set PlayerColor[4] = |CFF540081
      • Set PlayerColor[5] = |CFFFFFF01
      • Set PlayerColor[6] = |CFFFE8A0E
      • Set PlayerColor[7] = |CFF20C000
      • Set PlayerColor[8] = |CFFE55BB0
      • Set PlayerColor[9] = |CFF959697
      • Set PlayerColor[10] = |CFF7EBFF1
      • Set PlayerColor[11] = |CFF106246
      • Set PlayerColor[12] = |CFF4E2A04
      • -------- END OF MISC CONFIGURABLES --------
  • ID Save
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Custom script: set udg_ID_Key = udg_ID_ItemType
      • Hashtable - Save ID_Durability as 0 of ID_Key in ID_Hashtable
      • Hashtable - Save ID_DurabilityChance as 1 of ID_Key in ID_Hashtable
  • ID Acquires Item
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Acquires an item
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set TempUnit = (Triggering unit)
      • Custom script: set udg_ID_Key = GetHandleId(udg_TempUnit)
      • Set ID_HasItem = True
      • Hashtable - Save ID_HasItem as 2 of ID_Key in ID_Hashtable
      • Set TempItem = (Item being manipulated)
      • Set ID_ItemType = (Item-type of TempItem)
      • Custom script: set udg_ID_Key = GetHandleId(udg_TempItem)
      • Set ID_HasRegister = (Load 3 of ID_Key from ID_Hashtable)
      • Custom script: set udg_ID_Key = udg_ID_ItemType
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • ID_HasRegister Equal to False
        • Then - Actions
          • Set ID_Durability = (Load 0 of ID_Key from ID_Hashtable)
          • Set ID_DurabilityChance = (Load 1 of ID_Key from ID_Hashtable)
          • Set ID_HasRegister = True
          • Item - Set charges remaining in TempItem to ID_Durability
          • Hashtable - Save ID_Durability as 0 of ID_Key in ID_Hashtable
          • Hashtable - Save ID_DurabilityChance as 1 of ID_Key in ID_Hashtable
          • Hashtable - Save ID_HasRegister as 3 of ID_Key in ID_Hashtable
        • Else - Actions
  • ID Loses Item
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Loses an item
    • Conditions
      • (Number of items carried by (Triggering unit)) Equal to 1
    • Actions
      • Set ID_HasItem = False
      • Hashtable - Save ID_HasItem as 2 of ID_Key in ID_Hashtable
      • Hashtable - Clear all child hashtables of child ID_Key in ID_Hashtable
  • ID Takes Damage
    • Events
      • Game - DamageEvent becomes Equal to 1.00
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set ID_HasItem = (Load 2 of ID_Key from ID_Hashtable)
        • If - Conditions
          • ID_HasItem Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
          • For each (Integer LoopingInteger) from 1 to 6, do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Set TempItem = (Item carried by TempUnit in slot LoopingInteger)
              • Set ID_DurabilityChance = (Load 1 of ID_Key from ID_Hashtable)
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Random integer number between 1 and 100) Less than or equal to ID_DurabilityChance
                • Then - Actions
                  • Set TempInteger = (Charges remaining in TempItem)
                  • Item - Set charges remaining in TempItem to (TempInteger - 1)
                    • If - Conditions
                      • (TempInteger - 1) Equal to 0
                    • Then - Actions
                      • Set TempPlayerGroup = (Player group((Owner of TempUnit)))
                      • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads (|cffffcc00 + ((Name of TempItem) + (|r + (PlayerColor[(Player number of (Owner of TempUnit))] + (ID_BreakItemMessage + |r))))) above TempUnit with Z offset 0.00, using font size 10.00, color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%), and 0.00% transparency
                      • Set TempFloatingText = (Last created floating text)
                      • Floating Text - Hide TempFloatingText for (All players)
                      • Floating Text - Show TempFloatingText for TempPlayerGroup
                      • Floating Text - Set the velocity of TempFloatingText to 32.00 towards (Random angle) degrees
                      • Floating Text - Change TempFloatingText: Disable permanence
                      • Floating Text - Change the lifespan of TempFloatingText to 5.00 seconds
                      • Floating Text - Change the fading age of TempFloatingText to 2.50 seconds
                      • Item - Set life of TempItem to 0.41
                      • Item - Remove TempItem
                      • Hashtable - Clear all child hashtables of child ID_Key in ID_Hashtable
                      • Custom script: call DestroyForce(udg_TempPlayerGroup)
                    • Else - Actions
                • Else - Actions
        • Else - Actions
Some RPGs
Bribe - DamageEngine / Unit Indexer

v1.0
- Initial release

v1.0f
- Changed to Indexing for proper damage handing

v1.1
- Removed useless script

Keywords:
simple, item, durability, system, defskull, rpg, damage, endurance.
Contents

Just another Warcraft III map (Map)

Reviews
07:42, 17th Aug 2012 Magtheridon96: Approved. You should add a disclaimer. Users should not give durability to items with charges. (Nevermind) Actually, you can make the charges optional with a configurable boolean. - Custom script...

M

07:42, 17th Aug 2012
Magtheridon96:

Approved.

You should add a disclaimer.
Users should not give durability to items with charges.
(Nevermind)
Actually, you can make the charges optional with a configurable boolean.

-
  • Custom script: set bj_wantDestroyGroup = true
  • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units in (Playable map area) matching (((Matching unit) is A Hero) Equal to True)) and do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Unit Group - Add (Picked unit) to ID_Group
      • Trigger - Add to ID Takes Damage <gen> the event (Unit - (Picked unit) Takes damage)
Since you're using Bribe's DamageEngine, this is totally not needed :p
Just get rid of that code, and everything'll run fine.

Okay, this is a really nice system, and the configuration is excellent.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that it uses it's own form of damage detection :/
The problem is, units are going to enter the map very often in a real game and die.
And what happens to the event registered for those units on the damage trigger? Nothing, they leak, and make everything slower.
Damage detection systems solve this by recycling the trigger every time a certain number of units is deindexed. (15 is the most commonly used value, but Nestharus uses 80.)

Really, the best solution is to use Bribe's DamageEngine here, because if you're going to make so many Stand-alone systems, than you're going to end up with a slow map since every system would have it's own damage detection code, it's onIndex/onDeindex code, etc...

You can treat Bribe's Damage Engine as a standard library.
No one would mind if you would use it or not, because they're likely already using it in their maps, and importing it is something you'd have to do only once.
Bribe's UnitIndexer is also very standard as well.

Using Bribe's DamageEngine would also increase the usability of this system.

The majority of people move forward.
They move from using no damage detection system, to using a damage detection system.
They do not move from using a damage detection system, to using no damage detection system.

So, your resource is actually becoming less usable as time progresses.

The /sane/ people who use damage detection systems would not use this because it uses it's own form of damage detection, and if they /do/ use it, they're going to have to modify the triggers quite a lot.

The people who don't use damage detection systems will use this.
But, they will likely use other systems too, possibly systems that use a standard Damage detection library. At that point, if they are /sane/ enough, they would start taking advantage of damage detectors, and they will end up having to modify your system to use whichever standard library you're using.

Requirements are not a bad thing.
They are a good thing.
They only need to be installed once per map, and the benefits are immense.

I really need people to stop having this ideology that requirements are something terrible that we should all try to avoid as much as possible, it just kills modularity, speed, and because of the increased code length, readability, so it's not a Win-Win, it's a Win-lose-lose-lose :/

Thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy piece of text.
Actually, I don't even know how long it is because this Moderator Review is pretty small, lol.

Level 25
This should probably interface with another damage detection engine rather than making one again.

Mainly this one in order to reduce the redundant code and improve effectiveness.

You shouldn't use item charges for the detection, as for example:
I have a sword that casts sleep up to 10 times, but doesn't dissapear after using all 10. If i were to use your system my charges would drop even without me casting the item ability.
Use a saved integer inside a hashtable instead.

Level 33
This should probably interface with another damage detection engine rather than making one again.

Mainly this one in order to reduce the redundant code and improve effectiveness.
I'm trying to create a system that is stand-alone, I don't want any other system to be one of requirements to use in my system.
Still effective enough I see, you won't get registered twice or more because I put a Condition of Unit Group, so there won't be Event leak (register Unit Takes Damage Event twice or more).
Once again, I'd like my system to support on its own, I don't want to add extra condition to user if they want to use my system, they gotta install that Damage Detection System.
And that system is related with another system, Unit Indexer.
So there's now 3 systems needs to be implemented if they wanna use this system which is not my aim from the start.
Also, it is working as intended, so I'm not so worry about efficiency as long my system does not has bugs, it's good enough, but there will always be a room for improvements, except that this one I won't "improve" because I want a stand-alone system.

You shouldn't use item charges for the detection, as for example:
I have a sword that casts sleep up to 10 times, but doesn't dissapear after using all 10. If i were to use your system my charges would drop even without me casting the item ability.
Use a saved integer inside a hashtable instead.
I hope you read the "INTRODUCTIONS" hidden tag, right ?
There's a note message there, you should read it.

Also, there's a reason why I used Item Charges.

It is because I want to show how many durability left for that item.
Face it, if you wanna use my system, you should not register items with Charged.
If you wanna have an item that is Charged, you should not use my system.

I can use Integer as the Item Durability BUT, there's no durability counter shown on the item over at the Inventory, which will make the user confused how many durability does each item left.

I could use Multiboards to show current durability, but hey, if you have 3 Heroes in that map, would you expect me to create 3 Multiboards for each Hero per player ?

That's the only reason why I used Item Charges as its durability, to acknowledge Players how much durability does each item has.

Next Features:
- Will add "Repair" option to the item.

Level 25
It should then be a configurable:

if SHOW_DURABILITY is set to true use charges of the item to show durability, else use a integer saved via hashtable and don't show the number.

It should support both cases and the modification isn't hard to make.

Edit:
It is because I want to show how many durability left for that item.
Face it, if you wanna use my system, you should not register items with Charged.
If you wanna have an item that is Charged, you should not use my system

It's not about what you want, it's what the users find useful.
Crippling the possibility of the system for users who want to have charged items is against the very idea of a public resource. You make the resource for the public not yourself, ergo it should support charged items as they are quite common (both potions and otherwise).

I could use Multiboards to show current durability, but hey, if you have 3 Heroes in that map, would you expect me to create 3 Multiboards for each Hero per player ?

Don't, multiboards are used for different things and they are quite messy, keep it light.

Edit:

As said by magtheridon, those 2 systems you mentioned you "don't want" are really useful and should be present in most maps by now.
Also, it is working as intended, so I'm not so worry about efficiency as long my system does not has bugs, it's good enough, but there will always be a room for improvements, except that this one I won't "improve" because I want a stand-alone system.

You won't get far making systems if you think like this. We have a lot of really effective scripts/systems around that make our work easier and reinventing the wheel is frowned upon anyway, especially when you invent a "square" wheel.

Level 33
t should then be a configurable:

if SHOW_DURABILITY is set to true use charges of the item to show durability, else use a integer saved via hashtable and don't show the number.

It should support both cases and the modification isn't hard to make.
What if the user wants both ?
To have item durability AND have potions that has charges ?
It's pretty funny to see Potions have durability too, right ?
Therefore, don't register potions or any other item that uses charges to the system, simple as that.
Hey, a system has its limitations too you know, you can't always follow user but you can receive feedback on what to improve and how.
Therefore, I'm sticking to my method.

I will add new feature that will not reduce the item counter even when the item is used.

For example, you have an item ability, that when activate, it will damage all enemy units around the user.

Currently, whenever you use an item that has charges, it will reduce its counter automatically.

In the next version, I would make the item to use ability from it without reducing the counter.

However, for the Unit Indexer + DDS, I'll implement them in the next version.

Level 33
Or you know... filter them out with their classification of "Consumeable".
I should not filter them out if the item is not registered to the system in the first place, right ?
Ah yea, currently my system will loop through all 6 inventories and will reduce the item charge.
But, if I load the value which has a null value from that item (returns 0), therefore the item has 0% chance to be reduce its item charges, right ?
Therefore, it is impossible for the Potions to be reduced its item charges upon taking damage.

Level 33
Magtheridon96: Okay, this is a really nice system, and the configuration is excellent.

The only thing I don't like is the fact that it uses it's own form of damage detection :/
The problem is, units are going to enter the map very often in a real game and die.
And what happens to the event registered for those units on the damage trigger? Nothing, they leak, and make everything slower.
Damage detection systems solve this by recycling the trigger every time a certain number of units is deindexed. (15 is the most commonly used value, but Nestharus uses 80.)

Really, the best solution is to use Bribe's DamageEngine here, because if you're going to make so many Stand-alone systems, than you're going to end up with a slow map since every system would have it's own damage detection code, it's onIndex/onDeindex code, etc...

You can treat Bribe's Damage Engine as a standard library.
No one would mind if you would use it or not, because they're likely already using it in their maps, and importing it is something you'd have to do only once.
Bribe's UnitIndexer is also very standard as well.

Using Bribe's DamageEngine would also increase the usability of this system.

The majority of people move forward.
They move from using no damage detection system, to using a damage detection system.
They do not move from using a damage detection system, to using no damage detection system.

So, your resource is actually becoming less usable as time progresses.

The /sane/ people who use damage detection systems would not use this because it uses it's own form of damage detection, and if they /do/ use it, they're going to have to modify the triggers quite a lot.

The people who don't use damage detection systems will use this.
But, they will likely use other systems too, possibly systems that use a standard Damage detection library. At that point, if they are /sane/ enough, they would start taking advantage of damage detectors, and they will end up having to modify your system to use whichever standard library you're using.

Requirements are not a bad thing.
They are a good thing.
They only need to be installed once per map, and the benefits are immense.

I really need people to stop having this ideology that requirements are something terrible that we should all try to avoid as much as possible, it just kills modularity, speed, and because of the increased code length, readability, so it's not a Win-Win, it's a Win-lose-lose-lose :/

Thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy piece of text.
Actually, I don't even know how long it is because this Moderator Review is pretty small, lol.
You just want me to change to Indexing, is that it for this long comments :/
Sadly hashtable has been forgotten, okay.

EDIT:
Updated to v1.0f

Last edited:
All I wanted you to do was use a standard Damage detection system :/
It's much better to have users use one damage detection system for everything, hence the standard ones, than to have one damage detection system per spell/system.

Using standard ones is the best way to go because then you can assure that users will be using only one or zero damage detection systems in their map.

Level 6
upload_2018-11-19_21-5-47.png

What the hell is this, good thing i just copy a clone map or my map cannot edit anymore, anyone how to fix this, i'm using Warcraft 3 World Editor New Version
Edit:
upload_2018-11-19_21-7-41.png

upload_2018-11-19_21-8-12.png

I just test another blank map, but still error