• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

RBB - Round-based Battle System V1.04

Reactions: VeljkoM
Features:
-Supports a unlimited amount of creeps, each Creep with up to 5 different attacks assigned to.
-5 Player-Compatible.
-Unlimited amount of Battle Areas.
-No Limits at creating your own spells.
-Own Battle Music possible.

VERSION 1.00
Added: Battle Indicator Arrow, idea by TheBlooddancer.
Added: A fire spell for the player and the ability "Enrage" for the creeps.
Added: Improved the attack ability of the player very much.

VERSION 1.01
Added: 2 new commands and now you cannot move a unit while a fight.

VERSION 1.02
Added: Now you cannot cast spells outside of battle, before they bugged if outside of battle.
Fixed: Arrow is now correctly removed.

VERSION 1.03
Added: Description of how to import the RBB System.
Added: New Command: Message.

VERSION 1.04
Added: 2 Functions: Revive, Revive All.
Added: New Command: -cam changes the cam to the second cam while in battle, and vice versa.

REMOVED: Manuals, if you want the manuals, pm me.

If you got any suggestions for additional features (like damage text, more battle messages and such) just tell them! I need feedback!

~redscores~

This is the kind of game I wanted to imitate with my system:
Lufia

Inspired by: Lufia, Mystical Quest, and all turn-based RPG's.

Keywords:
System, Round, Based, Battle, redscores, Final, Fantasy, 8
Contents

Round-based Battle System (Map)

Reviews
22:04, 3rd Feb 2009 Hanky: Advice: 5 points are the highest rating and 1 point is the lowest rating. Documentation: 4 Visual Effects: - Triggering: 5 Idea: 5 Nice system, maybe you could add to the example the ability "flee". But...

M

22:04, 3rd Feb 2009
Hanky:
Evaluation

Rating Points
Advice: 5 points are the highest rating and 1 point is the lowest rating.

Documentation: 4
Visual Effects: -
Triggering: 5
Idea: 5
Rating Comment

Nice system, maybe you could add to the example the ability "flee". But there could be some more documentation like what do every trigger in your system.
Advice: If you didn't understood my rating or if you maybe have questions because you don't know how to fix bugs or leaks etc.. You can always send a private message to me. I will answer as soon I got time.

Level 21
This Map took a long time (3 days, every day 5 hours of work).

I hope you enjoy this map, its made for round-based battle fans...

If you want to make a "like-real" final fantasy 8 map or 7 or a game which uses a familiar battle system to FF8, this map is the right stuff for you.

I will write soon a complete manual, so if you understand the system right now... it is wonderful! for the people which don't will have to wait for the manual.

Level 21
No, it is not a bug.

And the attack is just an example, you can do whatever you want as attack, but I will write a manual for that.

The Unit is able to move because with spells you will be able to move the unit, for example a jump attack is not unrealistic.

I will write a complete Text file about my system.

THE MANUAL IS NOW ATTACHED TO THE MAINPOST!

How to make your own Creep Attacks attached to the Mainpost.

Last edited:
Level 18
In my opinion, this system still lacks. It gives a minor impression of the possibilities due to lack of examples. 1 attack ability and units doing nothing but playing 1 animation doesn't show a lot of the possibilities able here. I suggest that if you show a bit more, like 1 or 2 very simple abilities and making the units at least move to their targets when they attack in melee. If you fix this, I think it can be well used. Until then I'd give it a 2.5/5.

Level 26
the system seems to work well but here are some things that I noticed:

the trolls in the test battle don´t play their stand animation when they don´t attack but they are just frozen. I think it would be better if they would also move like your own unit.

It would be nice if you would also add a side-view camera like the one in ff :)

Level 21
The Problem is somehow that they need commands to move correctly, but the attack system of the creeps does not use any orders, just triggers, so I see no possibility for that yet, and the second camera would cause bugs if someone makes a battle arena in the near of the map end.

Added: 1 new spell for the player: fire, and 1 new spell for the creeps: enrage.

If you want more example spells you can tell me what you exactly want to see.

Level 18
Good. You listened to advise and fixed several bugs. The only real bug I could detect is that that melee unit still attacks ranged. You can easily fix like this:

• Set TempPoint = (Position of YourUnit)
  • Unit - Order YourUnit to Attack Once TargetedUnit
  • Wait 2.00 seconds
  • Unit - Order YourUnit to Move To TempPoint
  • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_TempPoint)

Level 21
Not really, all units in this system got no attack, they use abilitys, but i can make a near real attack if you like, so the unit moves towards the target and plays attack animation and turns around and runs back.

And normally its YOUR job to add spells which suit your game, i just make examples so you can see what the capabilitys are.

Level 21
It is absolutely no fix, in your map you would have to do a attack spell by yourself and such, I just show the possibilities of this system.... there is no right or wrong... in case of the attacks (spells)...

Why dont you understand that?

All these attacks used are added, you need to do your own...

The Main focus of this system relays not on the attacks, more on the mechanics... and the flexibility

You can add creeps with up to 5 different attacks which you need to do by yourself, there is no fixed attack ability, it is just a spell as all others...

Level 18
Yes, but my point is: People want to see the possibilities with their own eyes. If they see that melee unit thing I'm talking about, they'll think there will be a problem in your system. I think you would understand what kind of stamp this map would get by the general audience if that would happen.

Level 26
I really like that new melee attack :)

Oh and I have a question: You have to force the creeps to attack and to play the spell anim for example, right???
If you do so: Wouldn´t it be possible to let the creeps ,ake a dummy spell after their real spell that forces them to play their stand animation until the next time they attack??

Level 21
I dont force the creeps, I use a ability for the normal attack, which I added.

And I already try to set the unit animation, but that causes the problem with the freeze, it stucks somehow, and I tested it, it always does if you play the stand animation, and I found no way to fix that.

And I think it is not such a big problem... it looks bad... but I have no concrete idea how to fix it.

Level 18
With all the improvement you made since you uploaded this, like the walking to the target, added sample abilities, active unit marker, etc. I think you've got yourself a good system. The only bug in it is that the active unit marker stays on the unit after battle. Also the abilities are still usable when outside of battle. If you can hide these when not in battle it should be a flawless system.

Level 21
The Problem is, I cannot detect the abilities of the player units, I could if I would add them through a new function... thats the problem, if someone has a idea how to do that... tell me! ^^

And I think if you use this system in a map, it would be not too bad if you can read the abilities outside of the battles... dunno, just a thought.

Level 26
the system really improved now. The only thing I still don´t like are the bug with the creeps :/ but that´s just a small thing.

I still have a suggestion: it would be nice if you could add a dead event for players´ units. What I mean is: if a unit/hero of a player dies it will play the dead anim and will lie on the ground. This could be useful for a revive spell.
Oh and I still would like to see another camera that you can choose :)

I will give it a 4/5 right now just because I want you to work a bit more on this system =P

Level 18
Just use a command like -camera 1 or -camera 2. Or you can change the camera when performing an action. Like you rotate 90 degrees around the caster when he performs a spell action. The last one is probably more for show then to give an impression of the system and it's more work then the first, so I should just use the 'Player - A player types -camera as a substring' option to switch camera position.

Level 16
Ok, i am seriously thinking about making that pokemon game now ^^
The system is really nice! It is like:
Whoooaaa!!:eek:
The Pointer is handy, the view is nice,,
Only maybe make an ability that can be cast on one unit, so you can see that works too??
Very nice!! 5/5