• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

DudeSpirit's music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello, been a while since I've updated my intro here on my thread, was a time to do so.

First question usually is, what program do i use? Well i used FL Studio 3 for a long time, until i found it reasonable to update, so now the software i'm using is Reason 4.0, Logic Studio 9 and Sibelius 5. I also have a MIDI-piano, I've played piano for like 8 years. I also play a little guitar, drums and sax. Actually, since jazz has grown up on me, so has sax, so been playing alot of saxophone lately. I like to mix electronic and acoustic instruments to create the perfect blend :)

I've now worked as a full-time studio technician for the last 1.5 years, making a living out of it, and i love it! I've picked up quite alot along the way. King's College (London), gave me alot, met alot of musical people.

I ask kindly that my works don't get linked anywhere without my permission. Thanks! (Creative Commons)

Latest News:
19/8/2011 - A total revamp to the thread, creating it all over again, new tracks, old tracks, good tracks, shit tracks - added. Also, people asked for me to make the pieces downloadable, so there you have it now, feel free to download!

Tracks 2008-2011 (non-chrono)

Detach - This is an emotional piano-driven track with some strings to it. Made it with with heart, there's a story to it, but enough about that! :p

Last edited:
Level 6
Thanks for the first comment!!
I usually don't start composing something specific, i just get a feeling or a mood, and i start playing melodies around my piano, everything that's happening around me, affects my composing and the outcome of the songs.
May sound a bit cliche but that's how it is really.

Level 23
They still sound alittle 'Midi-ish' if you know what I mean. It's nothing wrong with it tho, if you like chiptunes. But the orchestra ones would probably sound better if not:)

I like them in general though, keep up the work.
The first song, is it inspired by a certain game, or just the Sega Genesis chiptune in general?

Anyways, they are quite nice to listen on even though this is your first attempts

Level 6
Thanks for the comment, the first is just mainly influenced by SEGA, nothing specific really.
Yeah, i understand they sound a bit 'amateurish' in a way, MIDI-ish in other words then.

I'll upload a new song this evening or tomorrow.

{EDIT 1}
Added a new track, Dreams Without Sunlight.

{EDIT 2}
Added a new track, Morning Assassin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 2
Request? Maybe.

I really like The Tribe of Meskwaki song, and i was hoping i could request a 1-2 minutes song? If so..

It's for a naga/invasion type map, if you want more details just PM me, the map is around 35% completion (terrain, ideas)

Maybe you could create a naga type invasion track for me?

PM me back if you do :p Thanks!

Level 6
Well it's all about the room, mic, and the distance between the mic and the instrument.

There's some tutorials out there in the web on making your recordings sound as clean as possible.
For the mic i used Audio Technica's 4047, and i did some room placement.

Thanks for the comment, it actually might fit quite well in The Sims :)

Last edited:
Level 6
Cheers, yeah, I'll be taking a few day break soon, i want to get something else done, since this is quite time-consuming. :p

Level 6
New track, Hybrid Highway added!
Taking a break again, i wanted to finish this one though.

{EDIT, original date 25-Nov-2009}
New track added, Hanging on to 8bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
Don't give too much credit to that song :p Its just a remix, and not much was done there. I agree that it sounds nice though.

Can you point the bubble sound out? In what part of the song does it play, i'm not exactly sure what you mean.

Just got too listening to Hanging on to 8bit to pick out the "bubble" sound:
1:05 the bass part kinda sounds a bit like a bubbling sound - I don't think this is what I originally heard though

2:58 - the bass part here also sounds a bit like a bubbling sound (probably just from using a hard attacking sound with staccato notes)

3:45 - once again bass part

Listening to this again yeah - that just is probably because of staccato notes on a sound with high attack

Level 6
Just a little update, I'm currently working on the piece for the Music Contest.. Progressing slowly but i think i can make it before 3rd of march which is the end of the contest.

Level 19
I like your music!
Nice use of various chords and volumes. Perfect balance, really perfect.
Unfortunatelly I have to go now (Only listened to Discoveries now) but will listen the other songs soon!

Keep up the good work!

Level 10
Nice thing, this "Run To The Merri Hills". Should have had good chances in the contest, I suppose. A very good mood and nearly perfect mixing, much better than mine. :wink:
I really have to learn how to get the sound of my music better...

The only thing I had to complain about is that I'm missing a characteristic melody here. The overall mood is very good, but I find it difficult to remember anything from it as soon as it stops, so I think it's useful as underscoring music or a middle part of a bigger work, but works not so well as long as it is completely alone. Oh and it's really quite "avatarish" (do you also own the soundtrack?)... :smile:

Level 6
Thanks for the comment. :)

I think i would agree that it's missing some 'characteristic melody', what do you think about the other pieces I've put there?

As for Avatar, I've been a great fan of James Horner since Titanic, the guy who composed for Avatar.
So yes, i do own the soundtrack. :p

Level 10
I'll comment at least some of your pieces during the next days, I think, since you seem to appreciate my comments. :smile:

I'm a movie score lover, too. Not especially James Horner but he has done some nice things... I own Titanic, Avatar and Braveheart by him. If you have any other recommendations for me or just want to talk about score music, just PM me (this thread is not to talk about other peoples' music than yours, is it?). :wink:

Level 10
I don't know if you wanted to say this in general, but if the melody is not important, please explain to me how the scores of Star Wars (any episode), Schindler's List, Harry Potter, Pirates Of The Caribbean, etc., etc.... work.
Of course the melodies are important for a film score. They are one of the most characteristic thing of a movie score, if they are done well. They are capable to make connections to characters and or even other movies; if there is a musical thing the watchers will keep in mind on the way back from the cinema, it's in very most cases a melody, I suppose. Melodies are one of the most important things in music and in film scores especially, because they are the things everybody has a connection to.
They don't have to be heard always though, so there are often pieces, sometimes whole soundtracks without much melodical passages, e.g. War Of The Worlds (brilliant score in my opinion, but without a theme or anything like that, just 100% atmosphere). But do you remember it? It's quite difficult to memorize music that does not have a good melody, isn't it?

Well yes a melody is important to music in general, but the melody can't take importance over the own screen action. A good melody can definitely improve a piece, but sometimes a simple chord progression can be the most effective in a situation where the music is simply to enhance something else.

And no I didn't mean that sound tracks don't need melodies period

I really like the new one, the one part with the brass section crescendo was a bit surprising, not bad, just a little difficult to understand at first.

What program are you using for the drums/where did you get those drum sounds? I really like the vibe they have, I just don't have a very good percussion VSI at the moment.

The song kinda reminds me of Spore music in a few places

Level 6
I have actually recently updated my software, now using Reason 4.0 with Logic Studio 9 (On Mac), i also use Sibelius 5 for more classical themes.

I find it easy to create these glitchy drums with Reason 4.0

Level 10
Interesting thing, this "Symmetrical Space". You definitely know how to create and arrange sounds in a way that they sound as well as possible, the mix really sounds brilliant! I'd really like to learn that from you... :grin:
Again, your melody is way in the background, but it's enough there to pull the piece together. I think you wanted this to be ambient music and it does this job brilliantly: It's perfect background music with a gripping atmosphere, although not defined enough to be really enjoyed in the foreground, I think. E.g. the ending is very undefined to me, I just don't realize that it's the ending in the moment it is played, but only in the moment when nothing follows anymore. Do you understand, what I want to say? There is nothing that marks a really inevitable ending for me.
A little technical note in the ending: there are more than 30 seconds of silence in the ending of your file, this is not intended, is it? Forgot to adjust the end of the piece before bumping? :wink:
Anyways, great work! :thumbs_up:

I find it easy to create these glitchy drums with Reason 4.0

Dang thats definitely not an option for me (I already have a DAW that works fine). Well I can really hear the difference, that music sounds incredibly professional - I'm assuming you had this upgrade when you made Run to Merri hills too, as that also has the improved sound.

Level 7
So I randomly stumbled upon your music.

And I listened to the first song (Surfing Jaguars) and the last song (Symmetrical Space) and I gotta say, sweet beats mate.

Totally hear the SC2 influence on that last one, so good.

I'll have to listen to all of your songs up here eventually. I'm just really impressed.

Level 6
Interesting thing, this "Symmetrical Space". You definitely know how to create and arrange sounds in a way that they sound as well as possible, the mix really sounds brilliant! I'd really like to learn that from you... :grin:
Again, your melody is way in the background, but it's enough there to pull the piece together. I think you wanted this to be ambient music and it does this job brilliantly: It's perfect background music with a gripping atmosphere, although not defined enough to be really enjoyed in the foreground, I think. E.g. the ending is very undefined to me, I just don't realize that it's the ending in the moment it is played, but only in the moment when nothing follows anymore. Do you understand, what I want to say? There is nothing that marks a really inevitable ending for me.
A little technical note in the ending: there are more than 30 seconds of silence in the ending of your file, this is not intended, is it? Forgot to adjust the end of the piece before bumping? :wink:
Anyways, great work! :thumbs_up:

Thanks for the little 'review' there. :)
I was aiming for something ambient, i agree with the melody being in the background again. I'll try something different on my next piece.
I rushed this a bit too much i think, you can see it in the ending too, the 30 seconds of silence is not intended either.

Dang thats definitely not an option for me (I already have a DAW that works fine). Well I can really hear the difference, that music sounds incredibly professional - I'm assuming you had this upgrade when you made Run to Merri hills too, as that also has the improved sound.

Thanks for noticing the 'improvement' on the quality.
I had few months of break because i was studying my new software, but now i'm ready to make stuff again.
Merri Hills was my first piece with the new software yes, too bad i couldn't make it to the competition.

So I randomly stumbled upon your music.

And I listened to the first song (Surfing Jaguars) and the last song (Symmetrical Space) and I gotta say, sweet beats mate.

Totally hear the SC2 influence on that last one, so good.

I'll have to listen to all of your songs up here eventually. I'm just really impressed.

The other tracks there in the middle are more classical, but for my next song i'm going back to the retro-feeling of Surfing Jaguars. :)

Level 5
Hey could you possibly make some songs for my map? It would add a realistic effect...

BTW I loved Merri Hills, and the beginning I recognized was a bit related off of WC3...oh and do you mind if I use some of your current songs for my map?(You would receive Full Credit for it)

Level 6
Well unfortunately i can't focus my composing on creating for someone, but i'll keep making some classical tracks too.

You can use the music, but i would like to see/test the map first, and also know more that in which parts/scenes would you use my songs.

E: Added the new song, Retro Never Let Go!

Level 5
Well unfortunately i can't focus my composing on creating for someone, but i'll keep making some classical tracks too.

You can use the music, but i would like to see/test the map first, and also know more that in which parts/scenes would you use my songs.

E: Added the new song, Retro Never Let Go!

Well, I do not really have an idea of when yet but i will notify you when.

Level 6
Oh, sorry for the late answer.
I don't know what's up with them, i obviously still have all the songs, seems that i'll have to re-arrange the links to some other site, upload-mp3.com (or such) have sent me no information about deleting my account.

Status
Not open for further replies.