• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

deepstrasz' music

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
In the beginning there was music:

dragon (original): listen
dragon (2nd) [original]: listen
dragon (3rd) [original]: listen

YouTube has removed the second version considering it spam. But the issue was solved the next day after appealing. Good and swift work, thanks. Let's hope it doesn't happen again with the third one :D
EDIT: so far, so good :D

Last edited:
Reactions: San

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 26
I remember listening to some of your music some years ago, and now returning back and listening to the last two you made, I can say that trance warrior's march a very pretty solid one.
I've identified the style of your music close to minimalism, such as Steve Reich and Philip Glass, and maybe John Adams. Basically their music is structured in process form as one might name it that way, and perhaps it's known that way.
However, twisted dreams looks like the weakest so far.
Some transitions are forced, some need more time, some sections need more time and about the dynamics, almost all sections are on the same level.
You picked one idea, repeated it somewhat, and then when it started to develop it appears to end and go on with a different one, that was a punch in the stomach. Basically it is fine at 1:02 with the exception of the first pause at 0:22. The 2nd section has a similar problem, harmonically doesn't change, the patterns are the same but then it starts to develop and then gives up and in the end it had no musical direction. However, the 3rd section is different and does indeed have musical direction and provides a bit of dynamic level. Now the last section...is this supposed to be the climax? Because it really had no precedence to cause it or anything that builds up to a climax, so it really sounds like it came out of nowhere. And then to the biggest surprise, it ends so quickly, another punch in the stomach.
Harmonically the first minute is all about alternating between A minor and F major. Then it's 3rd's, looking like eolian mode. Then at 1:49 returns the A minor and F major, but then including E major. Last section resembles the tonal center of C major. Is there a reason for the harmony to be quite undermined? I'm asking because pitches within the sections aren't modified or almost none, the rhythm patterns, some are ostinatos, almost never modified, harmony is barely modified. Yes, each section has different patterns of these between them, but so is the texture of each, and they're underdeveloped because the parameters are barely modified
And the ideas of the piece aren't even bad, they're good, just undermined.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I remember listening to some of your music some years ago
Hey @Wrda thanks for your time and on spot critique.
Many if not most of the compositions I've posted were either started or made when I was really young and was experimenting with music. More truthful is that I just make music on a whim, at least sometimes and it happens that I get bored of doing things the same way so stuff like twisted dreams were released upon the world :D
Since I do not really know much music theory, a lot of the things you wrote are like an alien language to me. Are you by any chance a musician too or a pedagogic teacher in the field?

In the end, you might not like many of the stuff I posted but that's fine because I do not really make music on the basis of rules but more on the sentiment level. For me, music is usually a form of expression. However, there are quite some tracks that follow a, let's say, standard approach.
Compositions like trance warrior's march for me are more monotonous than those you don't like that are made of apparently random parts :D

Regarding minimalism, it's as much as my brain can offer :D no offense to the other artists you mentioned or others in the minimalism field.

Wrda

Spell Reviewer
Level 26
Hey @Wrda thanks for your time and on spot critique.
Many if not most of the compositions I've posted were either started or made when I was really young and was experimenting with music. More truthful is that I just make music on a whim, at least sometimes and it happens that I get bored of doing things the same way so stuff like twisted dreams were released upon the world :D
Since I do not really know much music theory, a lot of the things you wrote are like an alien language to me. Are you by any chance a musician too or a pedagogic teacher in the field?

In the end, you might not like many of the stuff I posted but that's fine because I do not really make music on the basis of rules but more on the sentiment level. For me, music is usually a form of expression. However, there are quite some tracks that follow a, let's say, standard approach.
Compositions like trance warrior's march for me are more monotonous than those you don't like that are made of apparently random parts :D

Regarding minimalism, it's as much as my brain can offer :D no offense to the other artists you mentioned or others in the minimalism field.
Haha yes, i'm a musician and composer :p. I have a deep knowledge of classical music (still finishing my master's degree), not that much on other styles of the 20th century, things like rock music, rap etc., it isn't something we delve into. But it doesn't mean we can't appreciate music other than classical music of course.
Well, your type of music isn't really my type, but that doesn't mean I can't take an objective perspective and analyze it.
About rules, it's quite complex, but in reality anyone can do music with whatever they want, but the approach of the material is how it will become something richer or poorer.
Besides continuing doing more pieces, one piece of advice would be to listen more music that you like, and perhaps even others that you're not a fan and try to check how they approached on the melody, rhythm, texture, harmony (well this one might be too complicated, but possible to get a grasp of it) and who knows, you might even improve your inner hearing your compositions so you can preview on your head what you want to compose and even get more ideas.

PS: I actually thought you had some kind of musical background when I wrote that, but looking at it this way it might have been overwhelming for you :D

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Besides continuing doing more pieces, one piece of advice would be to listen more music that you like
I do that but I really try not imitating. There's no point in doing it that way. I want to innovate as much as I can, hence the weirdness.
PS: I actually thought you had some kind of musical background
I do but little and this is a hobby to me so I don't invest more time than needed. Also, I prefer composing music rather than studying it.

Maybe, you'll one day share some of your works with us.

• Wow
Reactions: San
Level 24
Hello Deepstrasz, I don't know if you remember me but me and my illustrious paramour both have quite fond memories of you. Now personally I have never been a super massive fan of electronic music, not to say that what you have created isn't good, just that I am too much of a pleb tier, beta soy-boy to trully appreaciate a lot of what you've created. But your last song that you posted a few days ago is absolutly breathtaking. The fact that you are still this passionate about a 20 year old game that defined my childhood and early teens is nothing shy of inspiring. I love you mate, never change. <3