• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Villager Shield/Equip Models

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why has almost every attachment/shield to fit a unit mainly the villager been designed wrong? Seriously only a epic few would ever fight with a shield as their main weapon... Just curious why it was overlooked since so long ago.

In most maps I see villager models swinging a shield instead of a sword.

Your suppose to attach shields to the right hand... not the left like most models have apparently been designed/rotated too.

Yeah this fits here because I am honestly asking and not trolling as well asking about "The Hive Workshop's content."

Thanks for reading. :thumbs_up:

Last edited:
Level 14
The villager model's attack animation is with his left hand so apparently he is left-handed and therefore the shield is technically on his offhand. (The right hand)

The villager model's attack animation is with his left hand so apparently he is left-handed and therefore the shield is technically on his offhand. (The right hand)

Excuse my big mess of an attempted several edits, I kept messing up. I am so visually troubled it appears...

Yeah your right Veritas however most shield models still fit to the left hand therefore he is sadly attacking with his shield instead of his weapon.

Level 14
I just looked at the model in the model editor and attack uses his left hand... weird

Hahaha. I guess that's to be expected

Well I like seeing my characters hit stuff with their weapon and not their shield or offhand unless they're dual wielding or magic-casting or healing. =(

It's more of they should of provided both hands, really that's how people look at and design? Interesting, I work a bit differently which is why I guess I found this flaw. Though it's more of a problem for about 10% of mapmakers.

Nothing wrong with being a noble left handed warrior Ralle. =) Though how would you hit stuff with a shield? Would you dual-shield and attempt to get 100% bash?

Thanks for posting as well, definitely value anyone's input onto this.

One could add an animation that rotates the attachment by 180 degrees on its Y axis, so it could be configurable in-game.
An animation is more trouble than it's worth, as it is not easy to play a specific animation animation of an attachment model.

As other have said: the easiest way is to upload two model variants. Most shields submitted to the hive have those two variants already.

Status
Not open for further replies.