• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

User Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Not that simple. It will be using the same system, but we will have a way to differentiate between normal users and special raters (mods and good reviewers) which is somewhat like the moderator rating but by more than one person.

Anyway, user ratings? Stars never worked, everyone knows that. If you look at most sites the majority of people only use 1/5 and 5/5 which is comparable to Facebooks like/dislike, even YouTube adopted this. Somebody once suggested a rating system that is different, you don't select a number of stars, you select a number of traits like the following:
- This model has smooth animations
- This model has an appropriate file size
- This model has nice attachment points
- This model has nice texturing

There would of course be more than just four on the list. I think it would be easier for users to properly rate the models as they have to think about each point and decide yes/no for it.

Level 28
Anyway, user ratings? Stars never worked, everyone knows that.

So true, I only know one reviewing site that actually have decent people that votes stuffs but their ratings only floats around 6-10. People who votes 1, 2 or 3 are usually trolls just to downgrade something so I vote for this kind of rating system, well at least for normal users:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

What I personally feel is: There's no urgent need to change the current 1-5 system. Maybe increase it to 1-10 and 1-100 for mods. The system is nice imo and I dunno why people always want to change old to new.

Even though most'd rate resource 1 or 5, it's still nice system. Maybe it'd be nice if hive actually shared the info on who voted for 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

But if people insist to change from the fine current system and delay hive 2 more and make all the 100 000 ratings already done worthless, I like this:

Level 22
Dunno, but I rate 3-4 on stuff I look at and test, sometimes 5, but I never voted 1 or 2 (IIRC lol). Some people get pissed when their resources get 1 or 2 stars so they want the current rating system removed. I avoid 1 and 2 because I saw on Ralle's vm that some guys were hunting down the voters lol.

Either way, they will (not all, some might) still get pissed when they get downvoted on a binary (thumbs-up/thumbs-down;sucks/cool) rating system, so they'll ask for a new one again... Anyway, no reason not to change if the majority of the community thinks we should.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Frankster, here is my dilemma.

I want to satisfy two groups of people. The modders and the artists.

The modders want any resource they can use, they don't mind low quality stuff depending on what they need. I want them to have as many resources to choose from as possible.

The artists want the resource section to contain only the best resources. Low quality stuff is useless and should be rejected. They want it to be a privilege for their resource to exist in the section.

So what I hope for is to change this around a bit. I want there to be low quality stuff and I believe the artist does not mind as long as you can hide it. I want the rating to be what is a privilege and not approval.

I don't mind low quality stuff as long as you can filter the good from the /bad/.

Anyway, this is a bit off topic, sorry about that. I believe it shows why I like the existence of a rating system.

The thing is that those artist that like rating are mostly selfish bastards and those who compare their work with others and complain if the other one is better are just far worse than selfish.

Believe me, I was on of those and I know that most of them are still active today.
It's like swinging your genitalia in someone's face. You just don't do that.

In my inner palace I feel that an artist that is really concerned about to bring the community further is not concerned about how their stuff is rated. Also they are concerned to improve themselves for the community.
Rejected resources might discourage some people, but mostly, people learn, improve and create wonderful pieces of work.
I really think that it is far more compelling to see your work put into something much bigger, than having some actually totally nonsensical number attached to it telling you how much people 'like' the resource.

Getting rid of the rating system, maybe even the download count and even reputation would improve the way the core community handles stuff like that. I always said that it is always about the presentation of a model. If people need that resources they will get it.

So, yeah, I do say screw those dickheads that think that numbers and epeen are the best thing they have here.
And those people will mostly use that 'privilege' in a wrong way.

Also, I say that your view is totally fubar because frankly, you, Ralle have been detached from the community lots of time and I honestly think that you have barely any idea to provide useful resources to people. No offense though.
You laid the base work, but some things are better understood from a different perspective. :D

Idk ratings from users are always biased.
If not many users end up rating a single resource the balance of ratings isn't there.

Even then the system of a 5/5 rating only allows 5 different rating. This can be led down depending on how much the person likes the resource and their opinion on rating itself and can a lot of the time make the rater either go a rating of a perfect 5/5 or a good 4/5. Either way the user is saying they like the resource and them rating a 4/5 that may make the creator think it's a good rating although some creators can get annoyed if not every rating is a 5/5 (lolz).

I like the idea of a binary kinda system like rally mentioned.

Although a moderator rating isn't a bad idea imo although even then there modding skills aren't usually really high par their ratings are usually accurate.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Frankster,

Thank you for being frank with me :).

Let's imagine for a moment that the rating system was removed. Don't you think modders would like a way to filter in the quality of resources to find what they need? I would like there to be wonderful resources but also less exciting ones while still being useful. Not everything is the main character of an RPG which in that case needs to be excellent, sometimes you just need a particular bush or tree or an orc building with a few modifications.

Frankster,

Thank you for being frank with me :).

Let's imagine for a moment that the rating system was removed. Don't you think modders would like a way to filter in the quality of resources to find what they need? I would like there to be wonderful resources but also less exciting ones while still being useful. Not everything is the main character of an RPG which in that case needs to be excellent, sometimes you just need a particular bush or tree or an orc building with a few modifications.

You just answered your question yourself. If people are searching for something they need, they will search for that and a rating is very very secondary.
And keep in mind that people who have no luck in searching they can do a request.
A system without ratings would be good. Just introduce something that is used for defining a model's status: It is enough to have an approved, rejected, pending and deleted status without ratings.
Approved models are moderated by the mods, pending and rejected ones are moderated but they are 'not done' yet. Deleted ones should not be availiable to the public.

So yeah, I think ratings, rep and everything else e-peen related is just holding people back and separating them.
You were the one who is so keen on building a strong community, but I feel that you are 'ruling' the hive with a business plan in mind. Hive is no corporation.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Interesting. So if I were to spend my time on something, you would want me to make better searching and filtering based on the resource as opposed to the user ratings.

While I may not actually remove rating, you may have convinced me to switch the focus more onto generally better search. That should be my goal. To make it easier to find things. I guess for models for example it wouldn't be too hard to detect doodads/destructables as they have no move animations and team colors. Just an example.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
The ultimate refining: Rating system and you

First of all, there is no use to keep this as secret since I don't care about my account anymore, heck, I have even lost my Dalvengyr account.

This is just my last suggestion for this site. Regarding to not-well-working rating system here at THW that causes a lot of disrespectful meanings and inconsistency. As have been discussed before, this rating system will be replaced by "hopefully" better one. But at other hand, I have also heard some opinions that this rating system should be replaced by some sort of like system. After I was taking a while to think about this, like system is indeed the best solution. Another rating system will not work that well as I suspect. But to spice that like system even more, I would suggest a bit more advanced system:

It's called score system. Basically, it's the same as like system but here you can express how bad do you like a resource? If you like that resource, you can give it score of 3 or even 5. But if you don't like the resource or even the author, you have no way to downrate that resource. With assumption that resources with higher score is always better than the others. The difference with the current rating system is that total achieved scores are accumulative. E.g. someone give score of 1, then the next one give score of 3, then that resource's score will be 4. Name of "score" is probably bad, you can rename it to "popularity" or something.

That's all. Cao.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

First of all, there is no use to keep this as secret since I don't care about my account anymore, heck, I have even lost my Dalvengyr account.
Do you mean you're multiaccount of Dalvengyr?

Omg *reports post* *causes immediate attraction of nazi mods* *nazi mods launch P3RM4-B4N - missiles at SecondHand* *it's super effective!*

I have even lost my Dalvengyr account.
Ahh... what?
Do you mean you're multiaccount of Dalvengyr?
His first account perhaps, can be not called multi because of it existing before... (what was his second name?..) and perhaps nearly being abandoned because of Dalvengyr's use. That aside... how was Dalvengyr lost?

On-Topic: The popularity system could work, but I also like the "this model has low filesize"; "this model has a good quality" rating system that somebody suggested.

Level 16
wait
1-5 is not enough for me. I need 1.00 to 100.00 with the points or at least for most of the cases 1 to 100 so i can fairly rate. Nothing is 100% perfect. what are the flows? maybe they arent worth 20% i dont want either 80 or 100. I want something like 83, 87 etc...

and I will post my review anyway. Let those who want to keep 100 selected do what they like.

Status
Not open for further replies.