• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Update Notification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Mythic has a point that would really help out. An alternative to Chaosy's problem is just to check the User CP tab I myself do not see the logic behind notifications since I can see it all at my CP but if others agree with Chaosy it should be implemented.

Level 32
Chaosy said:
Actually, I'd like to take it one step further. A notification when someone post in any thread you're subscribed to. Like the PM one, this would be an setting obviously, since it can be rather annoying if you post in a lot of posts.
I disagree, unless, there would be an option to turn this off. It would be too distracting for people. Obviously, people would like it if the person is not busy and bored at the time.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Mythic has a point that would really help out. An alternative to Chaosy's problem is just to check the User CP tab I myself do not see the logic behind notifications since I can see it all at my CP but if others agree with Chaosy it should be implemented.

I know that the feature exist. But I never check. The subscriptions lies kinda by the side of everything else. I'd just love to be informed smoothly when someone updates a thread that I am interested in. When I am helping someone in the World Editor Help Zone I don't want to spam refresh for 5 minutes just to see the response. Or even just as a reminder if the thread is updated 12 hours later when I have forgotten that I even posted in that thread.

I disagree, unless, there would be an option to turn this off. It would be too distracting for people. Obviously, people would like it if the person is not busy and bored at the time.
Should be turned off by default in my opinion, I don't see too many people that would like to use notifications for that since it can be annoying as you mentioned. No point in having a feature turned on by default if only 5% want it.

(about UserCP)
I know that the feature exist. But I never check.
How can you don't check it? :eek:
It's just extremely useful, that solves the problems you meantioned in your post. :d

UserCP is the first thing I check when I login. And then "NewPosts". :D ...

About extra PM notifications for every update of a subsrcribed resource, idk...
Actually I like it as it is atm. Uploader often makes a post with some update news or just a short statement about his resource.
By making this post, not only older subscribers get informed about the reviving-/update post (via UserCP) but also others, which don't know this resource yet, may pay attention on it. (via NewPosts)
So I think making a new post is not a bad method for the uploader, if he makes an update and want to get some new attention on his resource.

So now you suggest to note it via UserCP. I think, if it should be implemented, then really UserCP would be a good place.
The updated resource thread could just pop-up, like there would be a new post, but also with an additional *New*, for example. :D

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
How can you don't check it? :eek:

Why would I? It is not connected to the forum in any way.. if it wasn't for the fact that I noticed it when I change avatar/signature, I would never find out about the feature at all.

If it was placed under you profile it would be fine though. Like under user statistics there could be a link to subscribed threads for that user.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
When a resource is updated, I suggest subscribers be notified. It saves the author the need to post "Updated!" to get new feedback.
I wouldn't mind it if it could be implemented. Although notifications for social groups is higher on my list of priorities

@ PM notifications

PM notification for thread subscriptions would fill up your inbox quota in a few days time if you post semi-regularly. I don't see how checking your User CP is that much trouble considering the subscriptions are slap on at eye level when you open it

Why would I? It is not connected to the forum in any way.
Except for checking subscriptions. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.