• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

THW mobile/tablet app?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
One could be evil and have forced adverts in the "free" version of the app for revenue!

An app could support live notifications, such as when a user replies to one of your threads or if someone comes online. It could even tell you if other Hive Workshop app users are physically nearby you so you can meet up! However does one really need such social networking features?

What's the advantage with an app compared to just going to the mobile version of the site?

Besides being able to track user's location with real time data (jk) the only advantage would be that it could have a message notification feature to mesh with the mobile device interface. So for example if you had a message it would beep. Of course it would have settings so you could turn off the notification sounds or whatever you like. People (but not me) seem to enjoy being updated about everything in real time. The experience seems to draw people into a system. Like facebook, if the Hive were to have notifications on your phone it might make it more fun (or addictive) for people.

Also, I believe you can make the app be able to access your home PC. So you could tell it to download a map and when you got home the map would be downloaded already. Maybe it's not super useful but it might be fun to do while riding on the bus. If you have ever used the Google Play store on your PC to download to a tablet, you know what I mean.

It mightalso interface better with https://developers.google.com/voice-actions/ as well.

Maybe it could even interface with Siri but we can give it an Orc voice?

What about email notifications and a web app? Problem solved, it's already there :D

The email notification needs to hit my email inbox. Now I get 2 emails instead of 1. One with my email and one with the Hive. That's two times I need to delete it. Also, there is no cost to having an app, if I write it and give it to you free. Having an app is also a sign of prestige and puts the Hive name out there in a new forum - the App Store. The more exposure the better. People like accessories and toys. It's not massively utilitarian, I'll agree there. It's fun. And, isn't that what this is all about anyway?

I'm all for having an app, but please wait until we have the new site. Also, we will have to work closely together to get push notifications to work. That will be fun.

Cool, cool. I think the sire would need to be up and running before the app could be finished anyway. For now, we could look at some preliminary stages/concepts on our own to get ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.