• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Thumbnails and Preview models not updating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 65
I am convinced I am not the only one who is noticing this, but after updating the picture and mesh of a few models and waiting a few days I've noticed that the "View in 3d" model and the presentation picture have not changed, does someone on the hive have to manually say "Yes, approved, update." or is there some dreadful site lag?

Plainly put I'd like to know how the updating system works here, why it hasn't been, and if there is anything I can do to hasten it.
I don't like it when my pictures and view-models lie to users.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Just so people who stumble across this thread understand what is going on here is a brief explanation.

To try and save bandwidth, web browsers will cache downloaded website data (images, scripts, data files etc) between views. This works because chances are you will stumble across the same resources again in the future which now do not need to be re-downloaded saving bandwidth (which costs money) and allowing the page to be loaded faster.

Problems start to occur when data is cached in the browser and then changed on the server. Since data at the same address exists in the cache the web browser assumes it has the data already so does not download it. However it does not have the data (content is different) so the result is what the browser displays is different from what is on the server.

The solution in this case is to clear your browser cache. Doing this means all web page data will need to be re-downloaded making sure that what you see reflects the data on the server. Under no circumstances do I recommend disabling caching as despite these downfalls it helps a lot reducing bandwidth and improving web page load times.

Mechanically it should be using MD5/SHA hashes (transmitted at some stage during page load) to determine if a cached file is consistent with the server (hash mismatch means file needs to be downloaded). However I am not sure if such a system is used as web pages are fundamentally quite an old concept now.

Level 25
Just so people who stumble across this thread understand what is going on here is a brief explanation.

To try and save bandwidth, web browsers will cache downloaded website data (images, scripts, data files etc) between views. This works because chances are you will stumble across the same resources again in the future which now do not need to be re-downloaded saving bandwidth (which costs money) and allowing the page to be loaded faster.

Problems start to occur when data is cached in the browser and then changed on the server. Since data at the same address exists in the cache the web browser assumes it has the data already so does not download it. However it does not have the data (content is different) so the result is what the browser displays is different from what is on the server.

The solution in this case is to clear your browser cache. Doing this means all web page data will need to be re-downloaded making sure that what you see reflects the data on the server. Under no circumstances do I recommend disabling caching as despite these downfalls it helps a lot reducing bandwidth and improving web page load times.

Mechanically it should be using MD5/SHA hashes (transmitted at some stage during page load) to determine if a cached file is consistent with the server (hash mismatch means file needs to be downloaded). However I am not sure if such a system is used as web pages are fundamentally quite an old concept now.
Yeah, cache is great.
However, do you know of any solution to force people to get the new updates to a site? Doing changes in the .html file does not always seem to work, doing just changes in a javascript file doesn't seem to cause the browser to find the new stuff,

so..
How do I force people to get a new version of a site while still letting them keep cache of the site when they already have the newest version?

Level 29
How do I force people to get a new version of a site while still letting them keep cache of the site when they already have the newest version?
I already have planned a scheme to avoid this in future versions of the site by simply have a different URL every time an image is updated.

Just add a time stamp, like most sites do.

Status
Not open for further replies.