• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Texture .TGA Format

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 29
BLP1 only supports a palette and bastardized JPEG.
TGA supports only RLE compression, which is usually not used either, so it doesn't "keep the size at normal" whatever that means.

I don't see how that's relevant though, if WC3 supports it, it should be valid.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
TGA supports only RLE compression, which is usually not used either, so it doesn't "keep the size at normal" whatever that means.
Except the MPQ can apply RLE from various compression types... Which is why palette blps often compress so well.

With exception of some artificial art (eg commics, cartoons, things with few colours), JPEG is usually the most efficient way to compress images. Setting the compression factor low will still lower quality, but to such a small extent that no one would notice the difference. You can even raise compression quite a bit with minimal difference (only visible close to screen with side-by-side comparison).

In any case I am not really arguing about compression, I just wanted to understand what Void meant by ".tga also saves a lot of quality while keeping the size at normal". By "normal" is he saying that it is not compressed (bitmap) or that formats exist for WC3 that somehow managed to be bigger than an uncompressed image?

Status
Not open for further replies.