• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A slight update to Site's Icon Submission Rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
Some time has passed since I3lacky and I have written the rules, and I have some little suggestions that could be implemented/edited.

Current rule-set can be seen here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/rules-information-710/icon-submission-rules-224878/

Suggestions:
  • Change the "Recolored icons still need to be at least 50% freehand work." in the Hue Changes section to "Recolored ladder icons still need to be at least 50% freehand work, and follow other icon submission rules."
    Why? Because it does not relate to paragraph above it for uploading color variations of non-ladder content, but it does refer to ladder icons, removing some of the confusion.
  • Update to Icon Tracing section, making it more descriptive, from "Icon Tracing is not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to, applying outlines over existing artwork layers, and using them afterwards." to "Icon Tracing is not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to, applying outlines over existing artwork layers; applying existing artwork over the complete icon and using filter effects and layer settings to enhance the icon's details, light sources or shadows; and drawing/coloring over existing artwork and using filters and layer settings to change the appearance of the former to make it look drawn.
    Why? Because this is not allowed and has been sanctioned, but it's not stated in the rules.
  • Recreation of screenshot rule. Actually, more of an addition. The first paragraph mentions that screenshot icons are allowed for models, skins and spells. Also, in the last line, it is mentioned that corresponding models can be either units or buildings, but doesn't mention item models.
    Why? I don't see the function of 'spells' in there. It is possible to draw a fitting icon for one of the maps from the Spells section, but I haven't seen it ever happen. Also, this would mean that even if it's of very low quality, the icon can get approved since it follows the 1-1 ratio part of screenshots. Other than that, item model screenshots are also allowed and have been approved constantly in the past, so it should be added in there.

Also, on a side note, out of pure curiosity, I'd love to ask about what happens when an inactive user returns to the Hive, sees a fitting resource for his resource (icon for his model), and dislikes it, wanting it to be removed, as he wouldn't give permission for it in the first place if the user was active? The icon stays?

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Also, on a side note, out of pure curiosity, I'd love to ask about what happens when an inactive user returns to the Hive, sees a fitting resource for his resource (icon for his model), and dislikes it, wanting it to be removed, as he wouldn't give permission for it in the first place if the user was active? The icon stays?

I believe I specified this in the rules. If you are AWOL without any sort of license on your resource, people can use it as long as they accept that if you come back, you have the right to require that they stop using your stuff.

In your case, I strongly remember that before you died (and probably prior to that) you gave everybody permission to do whatever they liked with your resources. I don't know if this is one of the reasons you made this thread, but just saying.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I have been super busy, but had on my list to take this up with the staff and read it myself. I have done both now. Everything seems reasonable, but I have no idea what a ladder icon is.
Change the "Recolored icons still need to be at least 50% freehand work." in the Hue Changes section to "Recolored ladder icons still need to be at least 50% freehand work, and follow other icon submission rules."
Why? Because it does not relate to paragraph above it for uploading color variations of non-ladder content, but it does refer to ladder icons, removing some of the confusion.
Can you elaborate?

Status
Not open for further replies.