• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Reviewers today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
I want to share my thoughts about reviewers (non-moderator) today. I will write this simple and straight to the point.

They in this thread doesn't mean all reviewers.

They give review, let's say, arrogantly. They think that they can do better than the author, they think that everything is possible and very easy to do. They often give "fantasy" suggestions just like they can do it, just an example:
I would gladly raise my rating if the game had more than just jumping obstacles to the eternity :/
He thinks that simple jumping game is very easy to make and complained me to make a more complex gameplay, which is actually very hard to do.
They are just talking and talking with no action.

But they can easily throw an exaggeratedly good comments to their friends.

So my suggestion is: don't thrust to public comments :) Some elder users know about this.

Hope you get my point. Have a good day!

Level 23
I dunno, I don't think you should take reviews seriously. They're just suggestions, comments, and it's still up to the author if he'd follow that suggestion or not. Yes, some might be biased with their friends, but heck you can't do anything about that right?

But they can easily throw an exaggeratedly good comments to their friends.

I have to agree with this. And I think I'm guilty of this too. :p

If it really bugs you, then just skip those posts made by these reviewers.

This post should have been longer, but I ran out of english.

You can always request a mod to remove that persons rating you know.

That wasn't arrogantly, was more rather polite considering the alternatives. He even said the main issue of your map.

Well its not just him who thinks it, its rather more of a fact. Yeah please do make a more complicated gameplay, I would definitely appreciate it for one.

Map reviewers sometimes lack the skill to do what you can do however it doesn't change what they know and view and are able to mark because there have been legendary-like mapmakers in the past as well not to mention games outside of here. It really isn't that hard to duplicate your map in its current state however for someone a bit newer or unexperienced user might face a situation.

Everyone can be bias against anyone, it's human nature. Take your own advice then and stop thrusting.

CakeMaster suggested something nice for you to add, the model you used I am sure has attachment points.

Edit: Hey Ralle =) you posted faster then me. Like Ralle says you shouldn't lash you, only listen. It's your map, it is your choice to improve it in your vision or to listen and maybe improve it in your own vision and others.

Reactions: Rui
Level 32
They give review, let's say, arrogantly. They think that they can do better than the author, they think that everything is possible and very easy to do. They often give "fantasy" suggestions just like they can do it(...)
Giving low ratings does not mean that specific user thinks his or her map (if they have any) is better. You are assuming he thinks that, do you have evidence of him thinking that? What I've seen in your map thread: "I think this map deserves (X) amount of stars because of (Y)" Hive Workshop's user rating system allows you to give your opinion on it's quality.

The post he gave was a low rating, but he voted for an update. Voted. You aren't exactly complaining in this thread, but you are making a fuss over a non issue. Your point in this is to tell people not to thrust against criticism? The way you posted that last sentence was like saying don't get into an argument over a map. You have the complete right to do that. If this is some sort of public message to people in the site discussion forum, good job. I would think everyone around here knows that already.

If this is a rant about Shadow_Fury's honest rating, just do what you want with the map. No need for drama.

Last edited:
Level 22
I remember one guy answering gameplay complaints and suggestions like that with this: It works as intended.

People stopped complaining and giving him suggestions after that.

Level 23
He thinks that simple jumping game is very easy to make and complained me to make a more complex gameplay, which is actually very hard to do.
They are just talking and talking with no action.

You decide the scope and aim of your map, the right answer is dependant on what the intention of you; the creator of the map wants.
If you want the map to be a platformer replicated in wc3 then it is your right to do so as the mapmaker, you shouldn't feel obligated to do otherwise.

You will get poor scores if your map doesn't live up to what the expectations of a map is, its inevitable.
The question you should ask is whether its more important to you to have a well rated map, or a map that is what you wanted it to be.

Kazeon

Level 33
The question you should ask is whether its more important to you to have a well rated map, or a map that is what you wanted it to be.
I'm a five star hunter, very thirst of 5s D: so I definitedly prefer to have high rated maps (resources).

But again, I don't care about user's rating, at least for now and on. I was totally okay with Shadow's rating, I was just defending takakenji who is getting "offended". He thinks that reviewers can not spot the "art side" of my map (and other's too) and I agreed with him. So I was tried to make a better point, sharing my experience on THW which explains that reviewers are having troubles in spotting the good-side of maps and other resources. It's a true story bro, a blatant fact.

Kazeon

Level 33
I don't care about user's rating, at least for now and on

Yeah it's fact, if it's going to be "just art" then don't submit it to the maps section unless it is a terrain template type of map.
I didn't even talked about art, takagenji did. read again, you are heating up the situation man.
sharing my experience on THW which explains that reviewers are having troubles in spotting the good-side of maps and other resources. It's a true story bro, a blatant fact.
you see? no art

Level 14
Yes. I have once described this relation with the gastronomy analogy: there are restaurants and food critiques, but the critics who write them do not necessarily know how to cook.

They can still be useful though, especially when they accidentally find a game-ending bug.

I wouldn't give their opinions a heavy rating under any circumstance. It could be that the map they're reviewing isn't of the play-style they like (Some prefer RPG, others AOS, and yet other prefer builder or melee style games).

Even if they hate the game they can still help with functionality (leaks in triggers & what-not).

//\\oo//\\

Level 22
There are flavors to reviewers, the ones which I can discern are the artisté, technical pros, and the gameplay nerdz. Some come in both or more colors but there's still a big bias towards their main flavor. Some are extremists (speed freaks, fanbois, etc...) You just got to learn how to deal with their negativity without raging like godzilla.

Oh, I forgot to mention the fri3ndz.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

Many reviewers helped me improve my map with their critiques. I have a very good experience with them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.