• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The reputation system:

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I just want to suggest making it possible to give +rep to the same user in a row but for different threads. For instance I want to give reputation to a hive member who made three campaigns. I only could do that for two of his campaigns/threads but for the last one I couldn't because of the +rep system limitation that forces members to give reputation to other members and only then can they give more reputation to the user that prompted the +rep limitation message.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Plz no.

I see your good intention but this will get abused. People will rep their friends at every post they see. Cake Master being a prime example, mostly before his rename though.

Some people do something called spreading rep which means you rep a few 'random' posts so you can rep the person you actually want to, this is not good either of course, but there is no way around it.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I don't really care either way, but I'll throw this in as thread meat.

Changing that would basically wreak havoc.
Honestly, when people go out of their way to spread it around it actually creates a worse-off scenario than just letting people rep whatever they want.

At least this way any abuse would be contained to a few users, that abuse it to no end already restrictions or no restrictions. My money is on that nothing would really change when push comes to shove.

Besides, the vB rep system is essentially a like system with a message box. No matter how hard people want to pretend otherwise.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I see your good intention but this will get abused. People will rep their friends at every post they see.
I perfectly understand though would a time limit at least be a good addition to my suggestion? Say I could only give +rep the next week or after some days or something like that. Having to find other people on the hive to give them rep only to get back to the desired user is not only time wasting. Telling persons that I would give them reputation for other of their work but that I would not be able at the moment kills the +rep system's use as I am really not fond of/going to start spreading +rep for the lulz.

Rep him once for his contributions and tell him you like them all.
I already did that :)
Oks then, we'll leave it how it is if the master so desires :D

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

It does get annoying the spread rep message especially when someone fulfills a lot of requests for you
Yeah, but to be honest, reputation is just a number, if you really want to give something back, then offer your own skills and help the other person

Yeah, but to be honest, reputation is just a number, if you really want to give something back, then offer your own skills and help the other person

That implies that I don't or I wouldn't but you're missing my point, my point is that it's annoying having to spread it but it's good and we're better with it than without as it gives a very noticeable sign of gratitude.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

That implies that I don't or I wouldn't but you're missing my point, my point is that it's annoying having to spread it but it's good and we're better with it than without as it gives a very noticeable sign of gratitude.

I just meant that reputation has basically no greater worth beside presentation,
spreading it around just to give another rep again to the same user, well, if you are happy with it, but I am sure you could also help the other user instead/additionally.

Level 19
There is a simple solution to all these problems

make rep work like currency. if you want to share rep, it will be your rep you are sharing

meaning you would go down by one point every time you rep. this will eliminate senseless rep and give it more meaning.

of cause this might lead to the global rep shortage of 1986. so I say let the staff have rep .they should be able to send rep with the current system, losing nothing when rewarding winners of competitions

Level 21

make rep work like currency. if you want to share rep, it will be your rep you are sharing

meaning you would go down by one point every time you rep. this will eliminate senseless rep and give it more meaning.

of cause this might lead to the global rep shortage of 1986. so I say let the staff have rep .they should be able to send rep with the current system, losing nothing when rewarding winners of competitions

I do not give rep that often so if you tell me that I'd have to deduct my own rep to give it someone else, I'd probably rarely give it again.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
As if most users care about getting some bits of negative reputation(as in a virtual spanking for being naughty).
It's a joke.

That should be replaced with something noticeable(now don't rage at me for saying this) just as long as it's not decapitation or something.

Funny you should mention that... Keep your peepers peeled.

dr.jpg

Level 21
I rest my case
but let me pick I back up again. that's exactly my point, rep becomes more valuable.
I rest my case

But that would mean that the rep will never increase in the whole Hive. Let's assume that the summed rep of all users is 1000. If someone gives +1, he'll lose 1 so 1-1=0, meaning that the total rep will never increase beyond 1000. Additionally, if new users give rep, they'll go under zero, gaining a red gem yet red gems means that you did something wrong. If giving rep when you don't have any is doing something wrong...

Level 19
But that would mean that the rep will never increase in the whole Hive. Let's assume that the summed rep of all users is 1000. If someone gives +1, he'll lose 1 so 1-1=0, meaning that the total rep will never increase beyond 1000. Additionally, if new users give rep, they'll go under zero, gaining a red gem yet red gems means that you did something wrong. If giving rep when you don't have any is doing something wrong...

like I said... competitions generate rep, they must be the only place were you can make rep instead of just sharing.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
you cant regulate how much you receive, only how much you give
You can however deactivate it.

So what, I wouldn't be able to give rep if I don't have any anymore?

Isn't rep more or less an equivalent to post count and registration date anyway?

The guys that are on the Hive the longest (and post much) naturally have the highest rep. To me, that pretty much undermines the purpose of this system.

You can't just say "wow, this guy has so much rep, I better listen to him" if he is here for years, then boycot the oppinion of the guy that has lower rep, but an actual higher "rep per post" ratio, which would in turn mean he does more socially acceptable stuff than the other guy.

I say replace it with something cool. Like a Tetris Minigame. Chicks love dat Tetris.

Level 15
Rep, in theory, has always been a way for you to thank someone for their contributions. Now, has it been abused and used for other things throughout the Hive's history? You bet it has. If you don't like it, go ahead and disable it, no need to get worked up about.

This is actually a pretty interesting idea. I think it could be interesting and people would likely use it as a currency for contributing resources. People might offer to pay someone a certain amount of reputation to make something for them. People would be motivated to earn reputation by providing resources that users need (models, icons, skins, maps, triggers, etc) because they could then use that reputation that they earned through such things, to pay other users to work with them or make things for them.

It would become something comparable to d2jsp's "Forum Gold", and could perhaps even be renamed to something similar such as "Hive Gems". Perhaps donations could even award "Hive Gems", and past donors would then be given appropriate amounts of gems (As they are contributing to the survival of the site).

This could be wonderful and provide extra motivation for people to create resources, or be terrible as people start to EXPECT payment and might stop working for free.

Please note that I am not saying that such a system should be implemented. It is a risky development that could either be wonderful, or ruin the site entirely. It would need to be carefully thought out first.

... or maybe we could leave it as it is, not worrying about something that is clearly not broken (or important).

Did you even read my post? I clearly stated that I was not suggesting that such a system should be implemented. I was merely explaining what impacts his suggestion might have, both good and bad.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Isn't rep more or less an equivalent to post count and registration date anyway?

The guys that are on the Hive the longest (and post much) naturally have the highest rep. To me, that pretty much undermines the purpose of this system.

You can't just say "wow, this guy has so much rep, I better listen to him" if he is here for years, then boycot the oppinion of the guy that has lower rep, but an actual higher "rep per post" ratio, which would in turn mean he does more socially acceptable stuff than the other guy.
As it is now, yes, mostly because of the spreading issue. But if +rep could be given for any constructive idea be it an upload or just text then reputation could grow in less time than years.
I am not impressed by those who have much reputation just because of that fact. I've seen people on the Hive that don't really tell me much (as in I don't see what I can learn from them) even though their reputation is almost sky high.

This is actually a pretty interesting idea. I think it could be interesting and people would likely use it as a currency for contributing resources. People might offer to pay someone a certain amount of reputation to make something for them. People would be motivated to earn reputation by providing resources that users need (models, icons, skins, maps, triggers, etc) because they could then use that reputation that they earned through such things, to pay other users to work with them or make things for them.
Having to wait to earn reputation only to then be able to give it forth is a freedom limit and it also ruins the bad reputation system.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

It would become something comparable to d2jsp's "Forum Gold", and could perhaps even be renamed to something similar such as "Hive Gems". Perhaps donations could even award "Hive Gems", and past donors would then be given appropriate amounts of gems (As they are contributing to the survival of the site).

This could be wonderful and provide extra motivation for people to create resources, or be terrible as people start to EXPECT payment and might stop working for free.

Please note that I am not saying that such a system should be implemented. It is a risky development that could either be wonderful, or ruin the site entirely. It would need to be carefully thought out first.
Hm, I think it is an idea we could think about. Though, I think there is one difficult point: Since we 'all' have already reputation, it would not be a good idea, in my opinion, to transfer it into a currency.
But, if the Hive Gems would be added as an additional value, and maybe even an achievement value, rumors, you know, then it would get kind of messy.

I think it should start at 0 for everyone, the discussion would be about payment and how to earn these gems.

Well, maybe something for the future.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Spreading rep and rep time delays is one way to prevent a user from having multiple accounts and spamming rep to their main. That said, maybe the rep spreading limitations can be gradually lessened for users who have been here a while/have many posts.
Yes, that wouldn't be bad. Though the number of posts wouldn't necessary be a plus. It should be oriented more on their activity.
Can't the IP be checked for spamming? Or can they change/mask it as they please?

Level 19
how about... selecting how much rep points you want to give. this option allows you to send any number of points to a person but at the cost of your points to make up the equivalent sent

Level 19
the issue here is not the sin of having 2 accounts...

what is so bad about being able to transfer points in opposed to generating one single rep point.

again I'll say it.

have it that you can send rep as it is. where you can send anyone 1 point costing you nothing. but you can also send someone any amount of points directly traded from your stack of points

Level 32
the issue here is not the sin of having 2 accounts...

what is so bad about being able to transfer points in opposed to generating one single rep point.

again I'll say it.

have it that you can send rep as it is. where you can send anyone 1 point costing you nothing. but you can also send someone any amount of points directly traded from your stack of points

Simply because it's redundant. There are little to no benefits to this. Changing a core system just for the hell of it commonly results in negative results.

Status
Not open for further replies.