• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Other sites stealing THW's Resources?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're not exactly able to copyright or monetize any of our WC3 mods, so yes, they can do as they please. If this wasn't the case, we could have sued the people behind dota into poverty.

I remember an incident where they were blatantly 'stealing' resources, and claiming that it was all their original work. If I remember correctly, HappyTauren was a victim of this, with one of his Skeletal models.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
The only difference being that HappyTauren does not consider himself a victim but a winner in this case.

However, I understand if you are uncomfortable with your stuff being shared randomly on other sites, so I recommend that each of you who find some of your stuff over there and is unhappy with it to contact them.

Level 23
I would probably help if you add a note in your resource's description just like Frankster does.

" DO NOT distribute this model or any edits made to it to any other site. "

If they credited you when they reposted your work then I think they'd respect that you don't want your resources to be posted anywhere else.

Happens to my resources to and would be the same with pretty much anyone that has uploaded anything notable and in the more official sections I guess.

I would probably help if you add a note in your resource's description just like Frankster does.

" DO NOT distribute this model or any edits made to it to any other site. "

I'm not sure if this works though and even if with what extent?

I'm not entirely sure but bots might be responsible for some of this.

Level 35
I don't care, personally. I make resources to be used, not because I want to gain fame or recognition.

But yeah, stealing is a nasty thing to do. Still, meh. I'd only be angry if another person would gain money on it which I couldn't.

Reactions: pyf
I see some websites are posting some shits (because they are in different languages) about my flappy bird, I don't know about anything they were saying about the map, but as long as they don't claim it as their own, then it's totally okay for me. It looks more like a promotion for me :grin:

Alright, you caught me! Yeah, I did promote your Flappy Bird map in my blog, though I still stated it's yours :)

---------------------------
The issue is that you actually care or not for your resources, you can dispute with the site uploader or admin if you're displeased they upload yours there and you have issues with that.

Bhusta is right, this site respect us authors, that's why we love upload our contents here, as we can claim our works that we made ourselves.

Level 25
Hey, my Varian icon! Hmm...I think they are really trying to steal ehem redistribute them without our permission. I have seen many resources that are exactly made here, they put the name of the author, but they don't ask us if they can redistribute it. Maybe we are mind controlled by people to post those resources in their sites.

Level 28
Some people on epicwar used/uploaded my map and a guy even used my melee map for his altered melee map and uploaded it there. No one asked me for permission and would not have known it if a peep here didn't told me.

Honestly, it didn't even made me feel a thing about it. Didn't make me angry or anything. I mean come on guys its just a few kilobytes inside a machine.

Level 28
Nah, no need to. As I'm implying on my last post. I don't really care. I uploaded it here to share on people. And if other people will share it on other site then they're just doing me a favor. And if people use my maps then that just mean that it is good enough for them to use it. As I said, this are just a few kilobytes inside a machine.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
From my personal experience, I can say that I don't really care if people re-distribute. In fact, epicwar is like a historical database of all previous iterations of Gaias, lol.
If I ever feel nostalgic, I just need to browse epicwar for a moment and find all the long forgotten releases ...

However, I despise people editing maps without permission (exception to this are total makeovers only using the resources from the map to create something new, which I feel is acceptable). Especially those editing cheat packs in. Meh.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I don't mind them distributing my spells :)

As long as they don't claim them as their own.

But spells aren't art, I think distribution of other's art without their permission is wrong.

Level 22
It's their intellectual property, so they have the right to complain, and if they complain then there's something wrong with it (redistribution without consent). Anyway, that's the risk of making your works publicly accessible.

Status
Not open for further replies.