• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

A look back at TheHiveWorkshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I was looking back at my Google Chrome bookmarks when TheHiveWorkshop caught my attention. Almost five years and it still stood there silently, a piece of memories standing in the bookmarks of a web browser. How much time had I spent on that website... Time of my childhood, time I preferred to spend on a videogame rather than going out with friends. Five years later and I regret nothing of that period of time.

I swipe through the content I uploaded on TheHiveWorkshop, smiling with a little bitterness. Skins and icons I made by watching some tutorials on Youtube, spells with very few variables. My hand wants to lay on my head to perform a facepalm due to both the low level of what I uploaded and the high amount of mistakes, but is busy scrolling the page to see all the comments. Great comments, that despite the fact the content is poor, they appreciate the work I put in it, the passion I had for a game like Warcraft 3. My memory is one of the worst, and that's why it's awesome to re-discover that piece of my life. I don't remember much, but what I do remember is being extremely satisfied for a 3/5 rating from a moderator, the approval of something I uploaded. I remember people telling me how I should learn JASS which at the time looked too complicated for a 13 years old child; yet the potential was there, and it developed afterwards leading me to become a programmer.

I remember a great community that didn't care who you were or where you were from, it didn't care how much you were experienced. The community just loved what you loved, and appreciated the effort you put to make that sort of realm better, even if it wasn't that good.

I remember making new friends online, so far from me but yet so close, so different but at the same time with a shared passion. And I remember how they would post nice comments on the stuff I uploaded, even though we both knew it was not that good.

I remember my parents telling me to stop wasting my time on a video game, to go out with friends, but I didn't want to. It actually looked like I was wasting my time, but deep in my heart I knew I was just enjoying my time.

I look back at all of this and realize that after all this time passed, I want more of it. The community now seems too big to feel like a family, and for some reason the members are not as kind as they used to be. Or maybe they have never been, and it was just the innocence of a child to filter the badness behind it. However I do believe we can take it back, I can't be the only one that wants it. I'm trying hard to remember how I actually stopped playing Warcraft, or even why I did so, but I can't find an answer.
With this question in mind, I try and go back in time by feeling the same emotions I had as a child.

I put the Warcraft 3 CD in the pc socket and wait for it to load. I click on the install button, and as soon as it's ready I launch the game. I look for the graphics settings in order to increase the low screen resolution as we are all used to do now, but it's already maxed out. I'm fine with it. I join the Battle.NET, type in the silly username and the 5 characters password and the typical chain rolling sound plays. A breeze goes through my skin.

I search a match in the Custom Matches, but all the games are hosted by bots and too few people join in order to start the game. After 10 minutes I give up and queue for a standard 1v1 match. After quite a while, I'm in a game. The struggle is real, I am not used to move so many units at the same time, my hours spent on Dota 2 haven't helped at all, but in the end I win, somehow. It might have been an isolated case, but the opponent I found was such a nice person, he didn't hate once or say any bad word. Nowadays you can consider yourself lucky if you find a match with someone that even talks without blaming you for every single action of the game.

Well, all I wanted to do with this post is give a big thank you to this community, for some reason I left it without even saying goodbye. Now I'm back, and all I can remember after all this time is that despite the adversities, I just have been...
Happy.

PS: I will be playing a few games these days, who wants to join me?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I remember a great community that didn't care who you were or where you were from, it didn't care how much you were experienced. The community just loved what you loved, and appreciated the effort you put to make that sort of realm better, even if it wasn't that good.
I've tried to remember to congratulate random persons for their first spell (only spells, that's my field of knowledge ^^), it's hard to remember it.. When you praise someone for his achievement on a new field, it doesn't feel much to you, but it motivates that person to keep on. Honestly if a spell mod who reviewed my first GUI spell would've not say "good job, just a couple of things" I would've quit modding that instant :D

I search a match in the Custom Matches, but all the games are hosted by bots and too few people join in order to start the game.
Believe me, that's how it's been since 2011/10. People find better games to play, e.g. Dota 2 as you said, and uninstall wc3 to prevent it from wasting 3 GB from their hard drives..

I remember people telling me how I should learn JASS which at the time looked too complicated for a 13 years old child; yet the potential was there, and it developed afterwards leading me to become a programmer.
Hehe :p I wasn't into modding at that age, I only looked up to other modders and downloaded their work. And played lots of other games on that age.
So did you actually learn JASS by age of 13? If you did nice job ! :D I learned it last December from other hive user's tutorial. Then it got removed, so I made my own JASS tut..

The community now seems too big to feel like a family, and for some reason the members are not as kind as they used to be.
Change of big faces (chatty social people/ppl who submit a lot) might've caused that, I dunno.. By the happenings of 2012 lots of nice fellows left.

Well, all I wanted to do with this post is give a big thank you to this community, for some reason I left it without even saying goodbye. Now I'm back, and all I can remember after all this time is that despite the adversities, I just have been...
Happy.
Welcome back!

Level 32
Almost five years and it still stood there silently, a piece of memories standing in the bookmarks of a web browser. How much time had I spent on that website... Time of my childhood, time I preferred to spend on a videogame rather than going out with friends. Five years later and I regret nothing of that period of time.
So dramatic, I love it.
I remember people telling me how I should learn JASS which at the time looked too complicated for a 13 years old child; yet the potential was there, and it developed afterwards leading me to become a programmer.
I'm in that phase right now.

I remember making new friends online, so far from me but yet so close, so different but at the same time with a shared passion. And I remember how they would post nice comments on the stuff I uploaded, even though we both knew it was not that good.

I remember my parents telling me to stop wasting my time on a video game, to go out with friends, but I didn't want to. It actually looked like I was wasting my time, but deep in my heart I knew I was just enjoying my time.
That is really deep, I appreciate you sharing it actually.
The community now seems too big to feel like a family, and for some reason the members are not as kind as they used to be.
I can't really comprehend this, I've joined last year :/. I don't see how it's bad right now.
I search a match in the Custom Matches, but all the games are hosted by bots and too few people join in order to start the game. After 10 minutes I give up and queue for a standard 1v1 match. After quite a while, I'm in a game. The struggle is real, I am not used to move so many units at the same time, my hours spent on Dota 2 haven't helped at all, but in the end I win, somehow. It might have been an isolated case, but the opponent I found was such a nice person, he didn't hate once or say any bad word. Nowadays you can consider yourself lucky if you find a match with someone that even talks without blaming you for every single action of the game.
I have to argue with this one, games are now not being auto hosted by random ghost users anymore. ENT does all the auto hosting. Also, Bnet players use MakeMeHost.com to host as it reaches all servers. The only games I can ever find (I play a little less than 10 Risks, Azeroth Wars, and Uther Party's a day) are in the Makemehost.com list, it shows various bots, including ent and user hosted games.

Enjoy your stay here!

PS: I will be playing a few games these days, who wants to join me?
Depends, what games?

Level 34
We all return in the end. Welcome back!

I too have wanted to play some good'ol wc3 matches. Unfortunately I am gone for a bit, but I might be interested in joining you or others in some good times in battle.net.

Status
Not open for further replies.