• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BB code previewer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a program which can show you whatever BB code you have created before you actually make a thread with the code implemented?

I know there is the "Preview Post" option, but if you have a whole lot of text crammed into a lot of BB code, it can be quite frustrating to find the error in what you have written.

Normally I write whatever I need in a document and then copy it into the post and hit the "preview post" button to see if everything looks alright.
If not, rinse and repeat.

So I was wondering if there is some small program or whatever, in which you can copy your BB coding into and it will generate the whole thing for you to preview.

If this belongs to the Off-Topic section, please move it.

Level 28
There is WYSIWYG editor implemented in here which allows you to see the formatting results inside the text editor without needing to use preview, or even allows you to paste formatted text.

Yeah but that only works for B I U, images, colors, links and some other formatting codes in the text editor. Many people who uploads maps and make map development thread uses many bbcodes that isn't available in the editor like the hidden tags and table tags (heck even some of the bbcodes in the editor doesn't work like the Trigger,Jass Code, Youtube etc.). Personally, I only use WYSIWYG when I know that I'll only gonna use some of the basic stuffs that works in WYSIWYG editor.

Level 13
Yeah but that only works for B I U, images, colors, links and some other formatting codes in the text editor. Many people who uploads maps and make map development thread uses many bbcodes that isn't available in the editor like the hidden tags and table tags (heck even some of the bbcodes in the editor doesn't work like the Trigger,Jass Code, Youtube etc.). Personally, I only use WYSIWYG when I know that I'll only gonna use some of the basic stuffs that works in WYSIWYG editor.

never understood why is overcomplicated description stuff is good. Not like you could easily edit tabs, maybe only hidden tags, box..

Level 28
never understood why is overcomplicated description stuff is good. Not like you could easily edit tabs, maybe only hidden tags, box..

Because many people who downloads maps here judge the map first based on its description. I know it sounds silly but its true so mappers like us have to make our presentation eye-catching to grab the attention of people.

Also, a lot of people bash maps with poorly made description(But the most depressing thing is that they didn't even try your map.).

Level 13
Eye catching != Overcomplicated shit description

It's just like trailers.
If it looks epic, you go and pay to see it.
If it looks crappy, you skip it or download it.

The point of trailers is to impress the people, slap people with the very best of the forthcoming film/game. Point of description is also to impress, and its not done with slapping 101241234 tabs and fucking rainbows into people's face. 2-3 colours, some minor formatting, hidden tags where you put pictures and youtube videos, one hidden tag for credits, and few words to describe what the hell on the earth is the map about. In an other hidden tag you go for rest description for haw2play.

Now you can come with any template and tabs, this like immediately makes you sure this map is good.

The layout and the vivid colours of this map description are amazing, so I'll download this map - said noone ever.

Such language.

Now you can come with any template and tabs, this like immediately makes you sure this map is good.

Lol, no it doesn't.
That description you linked is fine. But you can in no way be sure the map is good as well (not saying that particular map is bad or good).

And who are you to judge?
Some people like to play around with the description. Sometimes it turns out good, sometimes bad.
Your opinion is noted, now accept that others might have a different one.

You cranky old fart.

Level 13
Forums are not just about accepting other's stances regarding something, its also about discussing and arguing over those. A common mistake in arguments when one goes into personal rather than pointing on facts that would help them on arguments, and you, my sir, you just failed with this. I might be an asshole, or like a cranky old fart, actually I'm aware of that sometimes I'm both, but hey, who are you to judge me?

~anyways: I have to admit that there are good descriptions which are not plain and simple, but over complicating descriptions doesn't do good for presenting the map itself. For something that doesn't go insane with these glitters I don't think it needs something more than the WYSIWYG editor. Especially when
Some people like to play around with the description.
and they enjoy doing it.

Forums are not just about accepting other's stances regarding something, its also about discussing and arguing over those. A common mistake in arguments when one goes into personal rather than pointing on facts that would help them on arguments, and you, my sir, you just failed with this.

Well right back at you, sir.
Shown in the quote in my last post.

Anyway.
~anyways: I have to admit that there are good descriptions which are not plain and simple, but over complicating descriptions doesn't do good for presenting the map itself. For something that doesn't go insane with these glitters I don't think it needs something more than the WYSIWYG editor. Especially when

That really depends on what kind of map is getting presented.
Take the Jetpack map.
A nice clean and simple description suits that map perfectly.
While there is an editor it is not a huge complicated rpg map, with story, characters, item systems and what not.

I agree a "complicated" description is not good, but a thoroughly done description can very well fit very nicely with the map itself.
The description can even compliment the map, and thus by a part of it.
Take some real game websites. They could just as well have really simple designs which just told what the game is about, and where to buy it.
But many games have nicely done website which uses the game's atmosphere and adds to the experience.

That can be true for a description of a map as well. It can be a visualizer for the atmosphere in the map.
But, only if done right. Otherwise it just, as you pointed, becomes a mess.

Level 13
With this I was pointing on that at that map description you can immediately determine if the map worthy enough to play and that with tabbed and multiply hidden tagged stuff just makes this thing hard. Same with gaming sites, they are designed to have everything right at hand, the problems start when they're not.
To emulate the atmosphere of your maps bbcode limits you mostly to images and font manipulations, these ones WYSIWYG is capable to handle, rest like tabs, hidden tags, youtube, box [..] it cannot, but most of it is not something you want to be in-editor anyways. The only solution would be the real-time preview stuff - which was your question about -, but the bbcodes are mostly site specific, as well as the site specific styles, so having it with a 3rd party is nearly impossible, unless some hiver makes one. The logical option would be to have it on the browser. However that has another issues like:
  • if its done on server side, it would need to send/receive lot information to/from the server, which at bigger scale gets network hungry can get horribly slow(thats quite large scale). Of course its not something thats too hard to solve anyways.
  • if its done on client side, it would need an up-to-date implementation of the bbcode parser, which actually sounds worse than it is.
If Ralle wills to make it, I'm fine with that, but I'd be rather happy to see wysiwyg editor and the toolbars on pastebin and resource upload pages first.

Status
Not open for further replies.