• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Addition: A "New" status for Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I'm pretty new to this site, and to be honest I am loving it so far. Great Features, Great Visuals and Amazing Community. But enough of that.
What i wanted to suggest is a new status for resources that are uploaded on this site.
The "New" Tag. It could be something like a small symbol or icon in a corner of the uploaded resource,
that has "New" on it for a week, a month or however long you think it would be good.
Because the current situation feels like that people are updating their stuff a lot, which is good.
But that means that they let their resources come out at top. For me it is hard to see,
what is a new resource, and what is just updated. And in my opinion it can be quite important to see that,
since new projects may need more help or thoughts about it than the old one that just fixed a small thing.
Of course there is the pending status already, but I'm talking about something that would work on
approved resources as well, since the Mods can be quite fast on approving stuff.
At least that is what I've seen.
However, what do you guys think? Am I alone with these thoughts?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hm, I don't think so, depending on what resource section we are talking of.
Especially skins and icons hardly reach a second page of pending resources and it is quite easy to see what resources are new and which aren't, if you take a look on it several times a day. For models, I think it is rather the same.

Well, it is something else for pending maps, but there is an option to only view pending maps. Even after approval, if you often take a look on the map section, it is easy to differ between updated old projects and new projects. Also, the comment count is very important to differ between them.

I kind of agree with you if we are talking about the map development section. Although you can still differ between new and old projects due to the comment count, it is difficult for new projects to stay on the line if several old projects get new comments.

I agree with you that a hint for these threads could be a good idea, but I don't think it is something that is necessarily needed for the resource section. Usually people are fast aware of new resources and the creators get a lot of feedback. Even maps get several comments in hours, as far as I noticed.
Nonetheless, it is great that you think about how to add additional features to Hive!

Level 6
I agree with you that a hint for these threads could be a good idea, but I don't think it is something that is necessarily needed for the resource section. Usually people are fast aware of new resources and the creators get a lot of feedback. Even maps get several comments in hours, as far as I noticed.
Nonetheless, it is great that you think about how to add additional features to Hive!

Thank you for the compliment.
And yeah I totally agree: It's not necessarily needed, but it is a possible option, that could make it so much easier to see what you mentioned in your post. You could see it intuitive, and that is worth a lot in my opinion.
However, thanks again for your opinion :)

Level 36
Well, there is this prefix for threads:
site_news.gif

I honestly don't see why a system couldn't be incorporated for this icon to show
for a limited duration of time on any newly posted resources. (Like, 2 weeks or
something.) I'm no coder, so I wouldn't know the first thing of the coding
ramifications this feature might entail, but if it isn't hard to incorporate, then I
agree. There probably should be a system for it.

Hm, I don't think so, depending on what resource section we are talking of.
Especially skins and icons hardly reach a second page of pending resources and it is quite easy to see what resources are new and which aren't, if you take a look on it several times a day. For models, I think it is rather the same.

Thing is, though, most people don't look at the same resource page several times a day, believe it or not.
For us people, this feature might actually be very pleasant.

Level 6
Well, there is this prefix for threads:
site_news.gif

I honestly don't see why a system couldn't be incorporated for this icon to show
for a limited duration of time on any newly posted resources. (Like, 2 weeks or
something.) I'm no coder, so I wouldn't know the first thing of the coding
ramifications this feature might entail, but if it isn't hard to incorporate, then I
agree. There probably should be a system for it.

The Icon would be perfect. Like in the Top right corner or something like that.
I'm actually surprised that people react positive about my idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.