• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

First Terrain WOOT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Defender323 Terrains!

Canyon.jpgWindow.jpgUndead.jpgFarm.jpgFarm2.jpgDeku tree.jpgHobbiton House.jpgMine.jpgChurch.jpgBarrens.jpgCabin.gif
1.Canyon with green moon.
2.Pirates hideout on a island.
3.Scourge aftermath.
4.Farmhouse after bandit raid.
5.-II- but with debris.
6.Inside of a Deku tree.
7.Inside of Hobbits House.
8.Collapsed Mine.
9.Church inside decaying area.
10.Orc road in Barrens.
11.A Cabin in the woods.

Last edited:
Level 12
It isn't horrible at all, but it could use more doodads because I can only see about 20 used. I like the "moon" in the background a little. It is the conversion thing right? Anyway, for a first terrain it was very good.

Level 34
Please don't set yourself up for a fall. Being cocky is not good, but a lack of confidence is too. Have some pride in your work.

It's not great, the road is too sharp and narrow IMO. I'd make the road larger or something. The grass do not suit the tiles. Make sure you tint the grass to suit whichever tiles you select. Trees and rocks should be added. Most mountains look better with trees. Also try clumping your doodads. Take two rocks, put them right by each other so that they are touching, then add plants, and grass in between them. Little things like that help a lot.

Set a distance fog. Go under Scenario, then Map Options. Check off fog, and change the color, probably a blue of some kind. Then mess around with the Z-Start and Z-Finish.

Set a sky. Go under Scenario, then The bottom one. Can't think of the title right now. Set an appropriate sky. It should suit the fog and the overall terrain.

Do not use the noise tool. It creates ugly edges. Not sure if you used it, but there are some sharp edges in there. Take the smooth tool and run it over them just enough to take away the sharp edge.

Well I hope that helped. Keep improving.

Level 6
Nice, I like it for a first try.

For the critique, Gilles said it all. And the moon/sun is a nice idea but it seems to be stuck in the ground.

Keep it up and improve it and it might get you some +rep.

Level 6
1: Nice, you improved it:thumbs_up:. Looks a lot more natural this way. The
only thing that ruins it is that sun/moon stuck in the ground like that.
Maybe you could better let it end in a forest there and adjust the angle
a bit so you can see the end better

2: Looks just like a painting^^. Like it very much

3: This one has great potential, but the look from the rocks like that ruins it...
Half the screen = rocks, you can barely see what's behind

Level 34
The window one is the best, by far. I like it quite a bit.

Only downside I can see off hand is the edge of the world. Always make sure your terrain looks like it continues on. Next time, let the water fade into the distance.

Level 3
Second one is my fav, the ground looks natural. The first is pretty good, the slopes look somewhat bare. The third is decent, I like what you did for that tower thing, but the fog looks a little abrupt, try to make it get thicker in a more gradual way.

+ rep for good first try, welcome to the terrain boards :)

Level 6
4:

Nice I like it. The roof looks a bit weird though, and maybe you could add more signs of decay to the house, maybe some trash around the house etc.

Level 3
I like the additional one you added. It has a certain mood about it... Can't put my finger on it, but I like it. Way to go dude, you're on your way. I think that the only improvement I can see would be to make the house look more damaged, maybe some bodies, debris, etc. Bandit raid sounds like a good concept.

Level 3
u should import all the hobbit stuffs from utm its in first stickey on first page of terrain board, but if u want help actually making ill be glad to help ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.