• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Competition of Doom - Mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
The Hive Workshop

[rainbow]Concept Competition of Doom[/rainbow]

Contest Theme: mechanics

Each contestant must create some form of concept artwork in order to put forth their idea; including, but no limited to, bitmap/vector graphics, pen(cil) and paper drawings...
Contest Rules And Conditions
  1. No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
  2. The theme 'mechanics' can encompass any of (and probably more than) the following:
    • Vehicles: giant robots, small robots, legged, wheeled, hovering, flying...
    • Structures: turrets, factories...
    • Characters: robots, and, uh...
  3. The concept must be composed solely of mechanical/electronic elements.
  4. The concept must not be 'ripped' from any other computer game, film...
    • I will judge the line between 'heavily influenced' and 'carbon-copy', seeking additional judgement from fellow moderators/admins if there is cause for dissatisfaction.
  5. The concept must have no more than four legs (if it is legged):
    • Because I can't animate that shit.
  6. Judging is not solely on quality of presentation; rather, it will be based on the quality of the idea, and how well its shape and form are conveyed (as in, how easily the design can be turned from drawing to 3D model) -- so don't worry if you can't draw a perfect circle.
  7. The submitted item must be entirely your own work.
  8. At least one 'work-in-progress' (WIP) image of your submission must be posted:
    • to prove the work is your own.
    • to prove the item has been created within the period of the contest.
  1. Completed submissions must be physically attached to this thread.
Prizes And Winnings
  • First Place: 25 reputation points and a model created and animated by myself, textured by kharma.
  • Second Place: 15 reputation points.
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points.
Contest Judging And Voting
  • The winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
Contest Dates And Deadline

All submissions must be complete and submitted before the deadline.
The contest shall begin on 01 November 2007 and conclude on:

30 November 2007 0:00 AM, GMT

Last edited:
Level 8
I'm no artist, so I hope that these images explain what I mean. I made the pictures in GIMP using freehand, paths and paintbucket. I got my inspiration from the repetitious use of Human fused with technology and added spider movements. I like the cybernetic eye look, so I added it. Messed up hair is symbloic of the fight between man and machine. The mouth sewn shut is to demonstrate the inability of the human to act without tools, in this case machines, to rely on. I added guns because if this gets made into a model, I want to use it in my current project and i thought that it would be the easiest way to add weaponry.

Last edited:
Level 23
Meh, I have ideas but I suck at drawing....how good does it have to be?
As good as it takes to show your idea -- ie, not very.

Also, you don't have to draw; you could make, say, a clay model, and post pictures.

I'm no artist, so I hope that these images explain what I mean. I made the pictures in GIMP using freehand, paths and paintbucket. I got my inspiration from the repetitious use of Human fused with technology and added spider movements. I like the cybernetic eye look, so I added it. Messed up hair is symbloic of the fight between man and machine. The mouth sewn shut is to demonstrate the inability of the human to act without tools, in this case machines, to rely on. I added guns because if this gets made into a model, I want to use it in my current project and i thought that it would be the easiest way to add weaponry.
The theme is mechanics; not BIO-mechanics.

If I had enough clay (I do, but of differnt colors I preferr not to mix) I might....

Anyways, were allowed to submit trash so It doesnt matter.

Here it is. Two drill's that he uses for attack and tree\minneral mineing, and to clampers for picking the pices up, and hes like a container he puts them in himself. Since hes a worker he takes pices out and drills them on as a buil animation....

Hes a great attacker not just a worker, though. Might add another leg...

Attachments

• Bobot.bmp
    957.2 KB · Views: 378
Level 7
If I'm going to enter I'm probably going to draw something like this... (yes, I suck with Paint)
WIP.JPG

Level 23
There is no posted limit for the amount of screens we can have, so We are able to make multiple pictures of our one concept I am guessing?

No; but all images must be of the one concept -- and that means no fiddling with different, say, toes or fingers, on one versus another. Bonus images should exist solely to better illustrate the concept from different angles.

Level 8
RDZ, since when was Bio-mechanics not mechanical? It has all that you asked for. Would it be permissable if I just change the head into a robot head, or is a full redesign required? You should edit this rule into your first post so that others do not have the same problem.

Level 8
Got to be made within the bounds of the compo, SeruK.:spell_breaker:
How is it not within the bounds?

1. No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
I'm not too familiar with the Hive's rules but unless you have something against tractors...
2. The theme 'mechanics' can encompass any of (and probably more than) the following:
* Vehicles: giant robots, small robots, legged, wheeled, hovering, flying...
* Structures: turrets, factories...
* Characters: robots, and, uh...
It's a Vehicle! And besides it has built-in AI so it can manouver without a driver. You got away with the glass windows on the RDZ Mechs. :::
3. The concept must be composed solely of mechanical/electronic elements.
The blood ain't exactly part of the machine but if that's where I break the rules I'll remove it.
4. The concept must not be 'ripped' from any other computer game, film...
* I will judge the line between 'heavily influenced' and 'carbon-copy', seeking additional judgement from fellow moderators/admins if there is cause for dissatisfaction.
I did get inspiration from Stephen King's novel about the lawnmower but he portraits it in a very different way.
5. The concept must have no more than four legs (if it is legged):
* Because I can't animate that shit.
No legs, no problem.
6. Judging is not solely on quality of presentation; rather, it will be based on the quality of the idea, and how well its shape and form are conveyed (as in, how easily the design can be turned from drawing to 3D model) -- so don't worry if you can't draw a perfect circle.
And thank the gods for that, I might lose some points there in the lack of good shaping but it's easy enough to make out.
7. The submitted item must be entirely your own work.
It's not like I just took a picture of a lawnmower and painted on some spikes or anything, I drew the outlines from a picture of one and THEN painted on some spikes. That's hardly anything to disqualify me for.
8. At least one 'work-in-progress' (WIP) image of your submission must be posted:
* to prove the work is your own.
* to prove the item has been created within the period of the contest.
Been there done that.

Awaiting responce.

Level 6
This is mine.. Might change might not... like.. I might add 2 arms in the back and might change some cannons and stuff. The missiles were erased 30 times because I either couldn't get the 3D right, position correct, the correct size. I'm kind of a beginner drawer... Never ever drew a complete drawing.. I'm hoping to finish this one. I hate color at the same time... So.. does it have to be colored?

If you need me to edit something for rule breaking just tell me

SCANNED

Attachments

• gif032.jpg
    gif032.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Level 10
Here is a W.I.P of my bug mec.

I like the posture I put into him, arms all curved down, he is looking down, wings all out, his spiky hair is fluttering up.

His arms are are very flexible, but his hands eather have a pointy dagger, or a sword, which he uses to chop his prey in half.

His hair is spiky, Japanese style. He is a oversize bug, so he has big wings to carry his big body.

I will work on the details now, and keep revising it till it looks good.

Attachments

• Bug.jpg
    Bug.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 181
Level 35
Here is my WIP pic....Note that it is only in the gesture work stage.

Taking a nod from my Space Quel'Dorei line of ideas...and some ideas from the "Inspiration" thread.

I present....The Alpha version of an Elven Construct.

A mechanical creation smithied on one of the Arcane Forgeworlds, that produce advanced golems....albiet highly advanced and far above the primitive things used by the Mages in the early years when we still lived on Azeroth...during the Post and Pre Lichking periods.

Attachments

• ElfConstruct.jpg
    ElfConstruct.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 187
Level 12
Hmm my idea is completed. Now I just have to draw it out, but to amke it so no one can copy my idea, I will put it down. I was thinking up something like a Flying *gasps* Airbase, that can create airplanes on the go while flying around the battlefield. It has a large cannon under it for destroying ground threats, and an A-A Missle Turret on it to destroy enemy air. There, now you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.