• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Emoticon Challenge #1 - Night Elf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome to
The Hive Workshop's
:spell_breaker:
:infl_thumbs_up:
:pal:

Emoticon Challenge #1

Introduction

Emoticons (or smilies) are image representations of emotion based actions. The Hive Workshop currently provides a lavish selection of 68 emoticons (25 of which are Warcraft themed) for its users. The purpose of this contest is to provide users with a greater abundance of Warcraft related emoticons to choose from.

The Task
Contestants must create a series of 4 (or an additional 5th one) emoticons in 3 weeks. All submitted emoticons must be Night Elf themed, this does not mean it has to be strictly Night Elves, it can be any sort of unit from the Night Elf Wc3 faction.

Any submissions with other races (i.e. Humans, Undead, etc.) will be discarded. Submitted emoticons do not have to be animated, but contestants may choose to do so. All final entries must be a maximum of 25x25 pixels in size with a transparent background. The 5th optional emoticon can be a maximum of 40x33 pixels in size!

Rules
  • No emoticon may violate any of The Hive Workshop's site rules.
  • Contestants must create all submitted emoticons from scratch (that means no C'n'P).
  • Completed emoticons (.gif files only) must be physically attached to the thread along with a small description of each.
  • Final versions of the emoticons must be a maximum of 25x25 pixels in size with a transparent background.
  • Emoticons must be identifyable.
  • Emoticons must follow the Night Elf theme.
  • Contestants may not work in teams or receive any help from others with the creation of their set of emoticons.
  • Emoticons do not have to be animated but animating them might prove a plus with the voters.
  • You have to show a minimum of 1 WIP during the contest, more are encouraged.
  • All final entries must be appropriately titled and contain all 4 icons.
  • Any incomplete entries after the deadline will be disqualified.
  • Deadline may only be extended a maximum of 1 week and will only happen if less than 3 contestants thinks that they will have their entrys ready before the deadline.
  • No guarantee is given that the winning (or any other) submission will be added to THW's forum emoticon selector.

Judging
Judging will be broken down into two categories:

1.) Public Poll 40%
Votes through the public poll will represent 40% of the final vote and will be divided among the contestants. Users may vote on 1 entry only.​
2.) Ballot Tally 60%
The Ballot Tally is determined by the number of users who vote for a contestant by filling out the Ballot Form, which will be avaliable in the voting thread. The ballot will represent 60% of the final vote and will be divided among the contestants.​
Finally, the contestent with the highest final percentage will be the victor!

Rewards
The top 5 contestants of the Emoticon Challenge #1 will recieve the following rewards:

Rewards

1st Place:..............30 rep+Award Icon...........
2nd Place:..............25 rep............................
3rd Place:................15 rep............................
4th-5th Place:...........10 rep............................

Contest Dates And Deadline

All emoticons must be complete and submited three weeks after the contest begins.
The contest shall begin on 08 September 2007 and conclude on

30 September 2007 0:00 AM, GMT

• Special thanks to Herio-san who submitted the idea for this contest!
    Have fun, and try to think outside the box if you're having trouble.

nesmile.gif

or should I be creating some using the Isometric style like our current smileys?

Since the smilies should be 25x25 px, I think we should make standard smilies.
Nice KotG smilie, but his left horn is somehow blinking Oo. Or is it normal?

Anyway, here are some of mine. But the height of my smilies are 29px.
Is that okay? Because I don't want to remove their pony ^^
All of these are finished if no suggestions are coming.

Attachments

• geez.gif
    geez.gif
    280 bytes · Views: 884
  • grin.gif
    grin.gif
    285 bytes · Views: 876
  • huh.gif
    huh.gif
    283 bytes · Views: 870
  • normal.gif
    normal.gif
    383 bytes · Views: 797
  • oh_god.gif
    oh_god.gif
    282 bytes · Views: 793
  • Oo.gif
    Oo.gif
    287 bytes · Views: 923
  • sad.gif
    sad.gif
    283 bytes · Views: 802
  • smile.gif
    smile.gif
    281 bytes · Views: 787
  • tongue.gif
    tongue.gif
    287 bytes · Views: 786
  • xD.gif
    xD.gif
    290 bytes · Views: 803
  • happy.gif
    happy.gif
    284 bytes · Views: 786
  • thumbs_up.gif
    thumbs_up.gif
    347 bytes · Views: 942
Last edited:
Level 32
But the height of my smilies are 29px.
Is that okay?
The contest rules state:
Contestants must create a series of 4 (or an additional 5th one) emoticons in 3 weeks. All submitted emoticons must be Night Elf themed, this does not mean it has to be strictly Night Elves, it can be any sort of unit from the Night Elf Wc3 faction.

Any submissions with other races (i.e. Humans, Undead, etc.) will be discarded. Submitted emoticons do not have to be animated, but contestants may choose to do so. All final entries must be a maximum of 25x25 pixels in size with a transparent background. The 5th optional emoticon can be a maximum of 40x33 pixels in size!
Although I gotta tell ya guys, it's unlikely that any (standard size) submissions that are greater than 22 pixels in height will be added to the Hive's smiley selector unless they are very, very high quality.

The optional fifth emoticon is a different story: those could be up to 40x33 in size.

Everything is looking great so far guys, a shame that they are a bit too large your icons Dragoon. Is the rule of 25x25 really that important, Wolverabid? Or more of a guideline?

If a whole set of icons all was 29x25 and was used in the database as counter to the orc icons then it wouldn't really matter if they were 29x25 as all of them would be that. They would be more different from the orc faces aswell then. But your call ofcourse.

Can't be helped.

Removed a bit of the hair so it fits the 25px height. I'm a bit sad about it though ...

/Edit: Added Thumbs Up Smilie.

Attachments

• ne_geez.gif
    ne_geez.gif
    267 bytes · Views: 762
  • ne_happy.gif
    ne_happy.gif
    272 bytes · Views: 748
  • ne_Oo.gif
    ne_Oo.gif
    273 bytes · Views: 750
  • ne_smile.gif
    ne_smile.gif
    266 bytes · Views: 746
  • ne_thumps_up.gif
    ne_thumps_up.gif
    334 bytes · Views: 593
Last edited:
Level 13
I am not really good on creating emoticons.I would like some basic details.It should .gif?i can create one with photoshop??
If u want give me a link.

Yes, emoticons can easily be created in photoshop or even in MS Paint! If you're using Photoshop I recommend using the pencil at 1px. If you are using MS Paint just use the pen tool. Also, to save in .gif format just go to Save As..., if you're using photoshop it will say Compuserve (.gif) and if you're using MS Paint it will just say .gif.

Level 24
Ok Raging I would be in,but how much time do we got?

[EDIT by Wolve]
Why don't you try reading the rules before posting dumb questions.
Contest Dates And Deadline

All emoticons must be complete and submited three weeks after the contest begins.
The contest shall begin on 08 September 2007 and conclude on

30 September 2007 0:00 AM, GMT

A WIP....My computer is screwing up colors for me right now, so to ME this looks like a red and peach colored smily, does it look purple\pink to you? I know this awnser has been asked and awnsered many times but: How do I make them transeparent?

Attachments

• NEsmile.bmp
    1.2 KB · Views: 190
  • NEsmileee.gif
    NEsmileee.gif
    978 bytes · Views: 260
  • NEsmilee.jpg
    NEsmilee.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 269
  • Nightelfsmiley.jpg
    Nightelfsmiley.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 261
Level 7
Wat program did you use to animate it?
Or any good programs of animating?
I used a freeware game creation tool called Game Maker :xxd: It can save animated .gif's, but it probably isnt worth wasting your time trying to figure out how to animate it with that though.
does anybody have any idea how to do transeparensy
If you have Gimp, switch through each frame (layer) and use the erase tool on areas that you want trasparent. On the background layer ( it should say the name of the layer on the lower part of the screen), click on Layer > Transparencies > Add Alpha Channel, and erase what you want transparent. There's probably an easier way to do this too, but this is all I could figure out.

If you have Gimp, switch through each frame (layer) and use the erase tool on areas that you want trasparent. On the background layer ( it should say the name of the layer on the lower part of the screen), click on Layer > Transparencies > Add Alpha Channel, and erase what you want transparent. There's probably an easier way to do this too, but this is all I could figure out.
As I said before, im useing corel paint shot pro 9, and thats the only thing I have. ('cept msn paint) But if GIMPS downloadible I could use it...

Level 7
Is there a window called "Tool Options" up? If not, on the main window (labled "The GIMP") click on file > Dialogs > Tool Options. If it is up, there should be a button beside the word "brush". Just click on it to choose the brush size.
Here's a WIP of the 40x33 icon:
EDIT: Sorry about the unmorph part, for some reason, the frames weren't being refreshed.
EDIT 2: attachment moved

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.