• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Story & Lore Contest: Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
So, due to some interest on the subject and since I'd like to see people
more enthusiastic about writing, let's talk theme for the next Story and Lore
Mini-Contest.

Since the title contains "Lore," I'd like to personally suggest the writing of a
short story, read: Not short-story, that'll tell a story and at the same time
present the reader to a completely new sort of society, sort of a new race
or new take on a race or something similar. Basically the idea is for the writer
write something intriguing while at the same time presenting a concept for
something lore-based. Like, as formerly mentioned: A culture, a race of
duck-people, a fraternity, a sect, the curious workmanship of sewer cleaners
in some Steampunk world, or anything else that might present a fresh idea
to the table.

Anyway, let's hear what you chaps want.

Last edited:
Reactions: _PV

_PV

_PV

Level 7
I haven't given a theme a thought yet :s As long as I get to write about violent, gorey fights with lots of blood and anguish, (Possible theme; the struggle between two orders/races/anything)... Or I'd totally dig writing a love story, like a novel xD but that's just me :p an interesting theme would be something in the direction of a long and taxing war between two or more peoples... a little cliched maybe? Just a suggestion :)

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Personally, I'd like a theme I can take the dark route. I've had my fair share of happy endings and every time I read/write a story which ends in the way you'd expect it bores me to death. Maybe the last years of a sect/order/society? The time where's it zenith has passed and it's starting to slowly die? Anyway, let's see what everyone wants. Cheers to good contests. ^^

Level 36
Well, fuck, I really messed up my suggestion, didn't I?
- If anyone actually understood what I suggested,
then I salute you.. and you're likely psychic.

Anyway, my idea was basically to have an open themed contest,
where every participant can go in the direction they want in terms
of structure and story. And where the only restriction is that you
have to concept something completely new and through the story
you're telling also present this idea before the reader.

Walking the ever-razor line between omitting too much and telling
too much, basically the idea is to challenge the writer to invent
a new race, a new order, a new fraternity, a new sect, a new
anything and then use the story you want to tell to introduce
this something you've invented to the reader, without being too
informative or too vague.

I apologize for any agony or suicidal thoughts my former suggestion
might have induced, I can admit to having been somewhat hungover
at the time when I wrote it.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Hah, No problem Keiji and thanks for clarifying. This will be mighty interesting and that much more fun to take part in. If anyone would require reference, basically something like Namco Bandai did with Demon's Souls or even Dark Souls. Don't give everything on a silver platter, make the ready fill in the small gaps which makes for a more likeable story as everyone's interpretation of hints is different.

Level 4
entry:
you doth art borbe. borbi dost high calledth meekly work. hark. doth art harken that dost not with known? yaeh doth art noblest. it is raven from yonder. good raven doth brought us a letter? yaeh. give dost your wingth flight to yonder. we beseech. oi you borbe. dost thou sayest what dost knows? yeah? good. thou shalt speakth unless dost spoken to, yeah. readth the letter. i see freight in thy eye. it is a letter from home -- borr'eh. let us fly there. oi, we are here. sayeth dost thou? a fiend? slay it! die creature. let us flee -- oh -- thine mother is feign death. weep we doth: let there no tear drop in vain. to the core of city must we go -- to slay the fiends of morg-borr'eh, the under borr'eh. what thou sayest? it is true that borr'eh means high. let us go now. ah yes, we've slayth thee giant of morg-borr'eh. his swifts left craters of birth upon the land, yet his foot became rotten to destroy all. doth must kill what dost killeth, no? good bye evil foe. thou my father but also my murder. good bye friend, i loveth most.

Level 36
Loxie, the contest isn't started yet, we're still discussing theme :p

I've never written in second person just as many others I believe.

Nor have I, or well, I've tried it, but not much. Which is why I mentioned it,
it could be challenging. I'm of half a mind to write my entry in second person.
- If I'll be at liberty to do so.

Level 6
I think - if I may give an opinion - that the theme and the narrative type should be both free, but you should put a size limit or something, like 10 pages, for example, or 8000 words, or something like that, to keep it a short story instead of a novel... Also, it would be interesting if you added a required feature, like a descriptive moment, or an intense moment... perhaps making the writter do something out of the modern common stuff, you know. For example, the writter would have to AT LEAST mention something supernatural, fantastic, cataclysmic, etc...

_PV

_PV

Level 7
I hate thinking themes up >_____< I don't know about you guys, but I write better if there's something to write about.

Sure, as a writer it's probably best to be able to conjure your own theme 'n stuff but just putting it out there that there are writers who love writing off a given theme ^_^

..I mean not a dominating theme like "it HAS to be about a guy going somewhere and shit going down.." I am referring to a seemingly vague theme that is visible in the story, like - a reincarnation... If that makes sense? xD If you understand what I'm saying, great :D

Level 12
entry:
you doth art borbe. borbi dost high calledth meekly work. hark. doth art harken that dost not with known? yaeh doth art noblest. it is raven from yonder. good raven doth brought us a letter? yaeh. give dost your wingth flight to yonder. we beseech. oi you borbe. dost thou sayest what dost knows? yeah? good. thou shalt speakth unless dost spoken to, yeah. readth the letter. i see freight in thy eye. it is a letter from home -- borr'eh. let us fly there. oi, we are here. sayeth dost thou? a fiend? slay it! die creature. let us flee -- oh -- thine mother is feign death. weep we doth: let there no tear drop in vain. to the core of city must we go -- to slay the fiends of morg-borr'eh, the under borr'eh. what thou sayest? it is true that borr'eh means high. let us go now. ah yes, we've slayth thee giant of morg-borr'eh. his swifts left craters of birth upon the land, yet his foot became rotten to destroy all. doth must kill what dost killeth, no? good bye evil foe. thou my father but also my murder. good bye friend, i loveth most.

Why use ''th'' in almost every sentence like; thou my father but also my murder. good bye friend. i love''th'' most...

Level 36
I hate thinking themes up >_____< I don't know about you guys, but I write better if there's something to write about.

Sure, as a writer it's probably best to be able to conjure your own theme 'n stuff but just putting it out there that there are writers who love writing off a given theme ^_^

..I mean not a dominating theme like "it HAS to be about a guy going somewhere and shit going down.." I am referring to a seemingly vague theme that is visible in the story, like - a reincarnation... If that makes sense? xD If you understand what I'm saying, great :D

So, basically what you're saying is, you'd like something a bit more strict
than what I suggested? While I'd personally not appreciate that, I guess
the market decides, so. What do we want folks, open themed or designated
themed?

Also, how do we feel about blowing this into an actual contest?
As in removing the "mini" and moving it over to the Arena.

Obviously, if that were to happen, there'd be a great deal more
to discuss. Like setting up an organized rule-set, naming the contest
something fancy, because, fuck it, it's a writing contest, it should
have a fancy name, and other things.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Why use ''th'' in almost every sentence like; thou my father but also my murder. good bye friend. i love''th'' most...

Because he is writing in old English, which I personally love. Gives it a more authentic feeling imho.
Also, I'm all up for making this a real contest, go big or go home, right? Anyhow, maybe have several predetermined themes to choose from?

Level 36
Because that's my suggestion, and this thread is called "theme discussion."
When I see that we've got enough different suggestions, then I'll either go
for the one I deem seeming as the most popular choice, or make a poll.
- That's why.

Also, about poetry, I don't know. As Aero points out, writing a poem is hard,
and it's going to be hard finding anyone qualified to judge poems properly.
I think we should stick to free form, and rather set a maximum limit of words.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Pharaoh? You're here? PRAISE THE SUN! Jokes aside, glad to see you active again ^^.

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Any updates? I mean, are we going to launch this or?

Level 36
It won't be cancelled, but it won't be hosted by me until June,
considering I'm currently having an exam rush of untold proportions.
- Although, if you chaps feel like rushing it, then I suggest someone
make a poll and then submit a contest form here for some moderator
to approve.

_PV

_PV

Level 7
I'm finishing exam's early June so I'm all good with that! I guess The time you're gonna host it, Keiji, is most suitable for all? I mean bringing into account that semester tests/exams (as you said) are all going full-steam at the moment! >_>

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

True that. I too will have an easier time after mid June. So it's decided then?

Status
Not open for further replies.