• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Daii - Custom Writing System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
I really don't know where to put this (there's no linguistics section and hell why should there be one?), so here it goes in Off Topic.

Daii is an abugida which I have constructed a year ago and developed since.
It was heavily influenced by Japanese Katakana, with some further influence from Ainu Kana. Mainly the lower case consonant finals.
More inspiration came from Cyrillic in form of palatalization.

When I finished studying the two kanas I had in mind a simplification of it, to fit more for slavic languages. What ironically came out is actually something very complex. The thing that cemented the idea of creating an alphabet was the fact that in Japanese you can write V with one letter Vu: ヴ. Just by adding small a - ァ you can make va - ヴァ.
The small a canceled out the u in vu, that was it. Later I read on Ainu and wanted to include the lower case final consonants.

The name Daii was random, but I decided to roll with it anyway. Alternatively it can be called Ayu because of its first three letters A, I and U = Aiu = Ayu. The letter sorting is original.
It doesn't matter in what rows you put them though, mine are 5 in a row.
The most important thing is to separate lower case from upper case. Lower case should always be sorted after all the upper case have been sorted. This is because in Daii lower case letters are separate from upper case. As you will see when you read further.

Also please note that I'm not using IPA here accurately. This is just blunt. I just cannot go over pitch accent and things like that.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

And remember, this was never meant for English. But it can be easily implemented to write any syllabic (and phonetically written) Asian language. Like Tagalog, though you need a letter for Ng which wouldn't be hard to do. Just add an ascender or something to the current N letters and call it Ng.
Hell it can do Hawaiian without even trying, and Japanese isn't an issue too. At all.
This is more of a for people thing than a standard project. I am not providing a font, but a functional writing system. It is up to you to implement it if you want.

Also special thanks to Chobibo for keeping up with me go on and on about this in chat over the months!

Attachments

• 21312412561.png
    21312412561.png
    10.9 KB · Views: 705
  • pt0.png
    pt0.png
    41 KB · Views: 598
  • pt1.png
    pt1.png
    37 KB · Views: 932
  • pt3.png
    pt3.png
    14.3 KB · Views: 446
  • pt2.png
    pt2.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 574
  • pt4.png
    pt4.png
    13 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
Level 30
This is very impressive DEAD FISH, I remembered having a conversation with you about your idea from another Asean cyrillic, you might want to establish an organized set of visual created alphabetical languages probably on the Screenwriting, Storyboarding, & Concept Creation sub-forum until you can finish a whole body of many more of your writing re-constructions. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.