• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Resource Pack - Version 1.7

Level 9
Level 9
That's post WcII lore ;)
Perhaps, but SoC never claimed to be 100% sticking to Warcraft II lore alone, did they? Besides, even in the Warcraft II manuals they mention Alexstrasza and that the dragons are of her brood, it was just before they decided that Alexstrasza and her flight were red. Kind of like how it was before they decided that only ogre magi were supposed to have two heads.

Back in Warcraft II, the art team thought all dragons were supposed to be green in color, save for perhaps Deathwing as he appeared to be more black in his icon and his cinematic model. By the time of Warcraft III they developed the different dragon flights, and by the time they started to write the novels they decided it was Alexstrasza and the red flight who were enslaved by the orcs during the Second War. In fact, green dragons were on an entirely different continent. Just because Blizzard was a little inconsistent doesn't mean SoC has to be, so they decided to make the dragons red to be more accurate with the updated lore. ^^

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
esides, even in the Warcraft II manuals they mention Alexstrasza and that the dragons are of her brood
I kind of know all about it.
Kind of like how it was before they decided that only ogre magi were supposed to have two heads.
Where, in WoW? I don't know if that's actually true. Warcraft III has two headed ogres that are not magi.
The wiki says:
"These included monstrous two-headed versions that were created by Gul'dan and brought through the portal after the First War to act as enforcers to quell needless infighting between the orc clans."
Funny thing WcII says:
"The Ogres are the monstrous two-headed allies of the Orcs that were brought through the Portal by the Warlock Gul’dan after the First War to act as enforcers in an effort to quell needless infighting between the Orc clans."
whilst in Orcs & Humans they had one head and two eyes.
It's their mistake that they didn't explain it like the wiki does or somehow else in the WcII manual.

save for perhaps Deathwing as he appeared to be more black in his icon
Yes although that black thing is armour and not made of scales. The WcII manual says so. Fun fact is that the manual kind of says he is a black dragon :D
"During the Second War, Goblin alchemists adhered plates of adamantine steel to the Black Dragon."
So, then we have green and black dragons in WcII :D But! The Dragon Roost only has strands of gray and red! So->red-gray dragon(s) too!

Just because Blizzard was a little inconsistent doesn't mean SoC has to be, so they decided to make the dragons red to be more accurate with the updated lore. ^^
LoL. That's basically following the inconsistency. But no matter. My remark wasn't supposed to feel offensive...

Level 9
I kind of know all about it.

Where, in WoW? I don't know if that's actually true. Warcraft III has two headed ogres that are not magi.
The wiki says:
"These included monstrous two-headed versions that were created by Gul'dan and brought through the portal after the First War to act as enforcers to quell needless infighting between the orc clans."
Funny thing WcII says:
"The Ogres are the monstrous two-headed allies of the Orcs that were brought through the Portal by the Warlock Gul’dan after the First War to act as enforcers in an effort to quell needless infighting between the Orc clans."
whilst in Orcs & Humans they had one head and two eyes.
It's their mistake that they didn't explain it like the wiki does or somehow else in the WcII manual.

Yes although that black thing is armour and not made of scales. The WcII manual says so. Fun fact is that the manual kind of says he is a black dragon :D
"During the Second War, Goblin alchemists adhered plates of adamantine steel to the Black Dragon."
So, then we have green and black dragons in WcII :D But! The Dragon Roost only has strands of gray and red! So->red-gray dragon(s) too!

LoL. That's basically following the inconsistency. But no matter. My remark wasn't supposed to feel offensive...

It wasn't established in WoW, haha. It was in the novelization of "Tides of Darkness." When Gul'dan created the first Altar of Storms, it specifically stated that the ogre warrior he sent in had one head, and that he came out a two-headed ogre. Cho'Gall was the only known two-headed ogre before the creation of the Altar of Storms, and the book says that one being born naturally like him only happens once every few thousand years.

I wasn't offended, lol. I'm just a huge lore buff, old and new. Played Warcraft II since I was 6, been following every installment of the series ever since. Read practically every book, haha.

Sorry if I came off as patronizing at all! Realized I might've given that impression. I was just defending the SoC art team's decision to make the Dragons red as opposed to how they looked in Warcraft II, as it is technically more consistent with the established lore of the novels and later games.

EDIT: In regards to Deathwing; when I was 6 and reading the manuals and I saw that quote about the goblin alchemists, I always figured - even back then - that he was just a naturally black dragon who also had black armored plates fused onto him. I had no idea why he was black when every other dragon appeared green, but it made him quite awesome to my young little mind. XD

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
I had no idea why he was black when every other dragon appeared green
Well, you know... blackdeath means bad.
It was in the novelization of "Tides of Darkness."
I don't really follow them books because they tend to retcon even more than the games do. I however will read stuff written by the actual author(s) like Chris Metzen.

EDIT: just realized you're the dude with that huge project ambition.

Level 9
Well, you know... blackdeath means bad.

I don't really follow them books because they tend to retcon even more than the games do. I however will read stuff written by the actual author(s) like Chris Metzen.

EDIT: just realized you're the dude with that huge project ambition.
Hah, yeah I get what you mean. The retcons can get a little annoying, but you just follow along as best you can.

And yep! XP That's me. Actually working on it as we speak! But I don't want to clutter up the SoC thread with self-promotion so I'll leave it at that. ^^ You're more than welcome to send me a pm or something if you're interested in talking about it.

Level 48
Version1.png

It's been a few years, but we're finally bringing out a new update!

So, what's in it?

Two new (actually returning) models: the Human Battleship and Human Transport, based on the Warcraft 2 ships. Those are made by the venerable Pyramidhe@d, who is unfortunately no longer on the site.

A bunch of new SFX, made by yours truly. The list includes: Animate Corpse, Dark Ritual, Disabling Shot, Demonic Flames, Pork Feast and Radar Scan - all of which are abilities used by the Warlock, Death Knight, War Turtle, Goblin Ace and Pig Farm in our map.

2 new textures: the Skeleton Ranger, as well as an updated, redder version of the Dragon.

New icons - by two talented Hive artists - Mr.Goblin and NFWar.
Mr.Goblin's contributions to the latest update are: Demoralizing Roar, Demonic Flames, Goblin Telescope, Sinking Hooks, Skeleton Ranger and Switch Skeleton Rangers / Fighters.
NFWar made: Alternative versions of Demonic Flames and Goblin Telescope, as well as Axe Flurry.

Finally, we also have a few new avatars in the pack, representing Pyramidhe@d's ships, the Skeleton Ranger and a newer look for the Peasant.

All of these new additions can be previewed in the main thread post, and a full list is available in the changelog. We hope you enjoy the update and make good use of these assets!

NewShit.png

Level 7
I have a tip for you guys when you fix the images. Instead of having them on a site, create a discord server to put your images in. I have a discord for just images to put in IMG tags. Works like a charm and you don't have to fiddle with incidents like the host of the current images shutting down or breaking them or whatever.