• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Hunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
@Lucy
Well, you get twice the possible bonuses received for example resistances of enemies. If you want, you could sacrifice 2 points of stats for another infusion.
Hum, I do not see that happening. For the sake of simplicity, lets say an infusion gives +2 damage, +4 against weak enemies. The swords have a base attack of 1.

So, in one attack, I strike with both weapons(Natural due to two-handed weapon style) - I wouldn't deal 1+2 times 2=6 damage, but 0.5+1 times 2=3.
If the enemy is weak to ice but normal against lightning, I would also only deal 0.5 times 2+2(ice)+1(lightning)= 4 damage.

Other option would be alternating, meaning one strike would deal 3 damage, up to 5 against weak enemies, but the other strike would only deal 3 damage agains tthe same enemy, as the element changes.

Only problematic scenario would be if an enemy is weak against both Lightning and Ice - but that will probably be unlikely to happen and in other places, I have a disadvantage as my infusion bonus-damage only counts half.

If I just wield one ice sword(1+2cold damage), I'd deal 3 damage normally and 5 damage against weak enemies, thus more damage than with two swords, yet lack versatility of elements.

As you can see: I do not get benefit due to duo element due to dual-wielding(If I would, dual-wielding would be innately overpowered). Only a versatility advantage and a sacrifice of damage. It is your call wether the attacks are counted with both swords at the same time or alternate each hit, but it really does not make a difference.

Level 10
Honestly, now I'm just here for the cookies :3
Waiting for the RP to start soon.

giphy.gif

(Spoooooon!)

Level 9
Hum, I do not see that happening. For the sake of simplicity, lets say an infusion gives +2 damage, +4 against weak enemies. The swords have a base attack of 1.

So, in one attack, I strike with both weapons(Natural due to two-handed weapon style) - I wouldn't deal 1+2 times 2=6 damage, but 0.5+1 times 2=3.
If the enemy is weak to ice but normal against lightning, I would also only deal 0.5 times 2+2(ice)+1(lightning)= 4 damage.
Well hold up here, one attack with two swords is still the power of two swords just in one swing, so you're saying that getting stabbed by 2 swords is generally the same damage as getting hit by one? So in getting stabbed by both it would be 2 + 4 (or +6 if one is super effective)... Unless you have a modified sword which has a base damage of .5

The point of the .5 infuse modifier is because your swords will already have increased base damage...

However, if the damage works the way you are saying, the fact that you have 2 infused items as opposed to everyone elses is also an advantage, seeing as Ice and Lightning are strong against different things, giving you more enemies to be super effective against. This could be another reason for reduced damage, seeing as you will get your elemental bonus more than others.

Other option would be alternating, meaning one strike would deal 3 damage, up to 5 against weak enemies, but the other strike would only deal 3 damage agains tthe same enemy, as the element changes.

Only problematic scenario would be if an enemy is weak against both Lightning and Ice - but that will probably be unlikely to happen and in other places, I have a disadvantage as my infusion bonus-damage only counts half.

Here is actually not a disadvantage as in this scenario you are still doing at least 3 damage for each attack. The elemental bonus just wouldn't be your focus in combat.

If I just wield one ice sword(1+2cold damage), I'd deal 3 damage normally and 5 damage against weak enemies, thus more damage than with two swords, yet lack versatility of elements.

As you can see: I do not get benefit due to duo element due to dual-wielding(If I would, dual-wielding would be innately overpowered). Only a versatility advantage and a sacrifice of damage. It is your call wether the attacks are counted with both swords at the same time or alternate each hit, but it really does not make a difference.

Well if your dual wield attack does do the same damage as one weapon, then it would have to be because of the weakened intensity, or having a weaker sword in general, seeing as a sword, is a sword. It has base damage, saying your swords' base damage is slightly altered would change the base damage to .5 meaning if your enchantment is somehow removed, you're kind of screwed with that weapon... in this case you have the potential to be weakened more than other characters but no advantage, which really isn't helping anyone.

Hopefully I helped with some opposing points of view Gun of course may have an entirely different idea in mind, but this is how I see it.

------------------------------------------------
@Gunslinger : Do we know which elements are weak against what, can we get like a element wheel like in pokemon or something, Also do regen and shield have any weaknesses or do they just... exist? Shouldn't there be like a Piercing or Poison magic to counter those?

These are just thoughts of course, I personally don't want magic getting TOO complicated :ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 7
Well hold up here, one attack with two swords is still the power of two swords just in one swing, so you're saying that getting stabbed by 2 swords is generally the same damage as getting hit by one? So in getting stabbed by both it would be 2 + 4 (or +6 if one is super effective)... Unless you have a modified sword which has a base damage of .5
If you wield one sword, you usually wield it with 2-hands, correct? This offers a LOT - a real DAMN lot more power(It is not just strength+strength, it sorta multiplies, as you can use levgerage).
I learnt that sword stuff, hence why I got my homework done on that =P
In a real life scenario, both duel wield and only 1 sword have advantages and disadvantages. Dual Wield offers more versatility in attack patterns and particulary mean attacks, but lacks strength(Even if you strike with swords at once) and blocking physically powerful attacks(Say, from a two-hander) can be very difficult.

So yeah, two-swords means: Each strike is weaker than with a two-hander. For the sake of balance, I shouldn't be allowed to get extra damage-bonus from dual-wielding innately as you mentioned... then it would be OP by default.

The point of the .5 infuse modifier is because your swords will already have increased base damage...
As I said, then it would be OP by default.

However, if the damage works the way you are saying, the fact that you have 2 infused items as opposed to everyone elses is also an advantage, seeing as Ice and Lightning are strong against different things, giving you more enemies to be super effective against. This could be another reason for reduced damage, seeing as you will get your elemental bonus more than others.
I explained that, but I will quickly go over it again:
First: There are(maybe) also more enemies one of my swords is weak against(For example: An enemy resistant to lightning and normal to ice - due to my dual-element, I would have a partial damage penalty).
Second: As, for the stated balance reasons, each sword would only have "half" the attack(So both strikes = one real attack). As I elaborated with my examples(Elemental 2, sword 1) base damage of an attack would be 3(as a two-hander would have, for example), but only half my element would deal extra damage. If I only had one ice-sword, I would deal more damage against an ice-weak enemy than like I have it currently.

I get more enemies weak to my attacks, but my enemies strong to my attacks... but in both cases, it's not extreme: I will not weakspot-attack as strong as others, but will not affected by resistance-attack malus as much as others. See the balance in there? Strength traded for versatility.

Here is actually not a disadvantage as in this scenario you are still doing at least 3 damage for each attack. The elemental bonus just wouldn't be your focus in combat.

Well if your dual wield attack does do the same damage as one weapon, then it would have to be because of the weakened intensity, or having a weaker sword in general, seeing as a sword, is a sword. It has base damage, saying your swords' base damage is slightly altered would change the base damage to .5 meaning if your enchantment is somehow removed, you're kind of screwed with that weapon... in this case you have the potential to be weakened more than other characters but no advantage, which really isn't helping anyone.
That is not precisely true. After all, both swords will add up to the base damage of one two-hander. But meh, I've gone over this.

In general, if my dual wield attack would innately deal more damage than someone elses attack, dual-wield would simply be overpowered, correct? Why should it be overpowered while there are even logical reasons why it should not just deal increased damage opposed to one weapon?
If it doesn't, the natural conclusion is either alternating the weapon with each attack or, how I would do it, count each sword half. It will have funny results with the dice system I suspect(I get two rolls which are divided by two - essentially one roll... my damage will be more consistent but will have less criticals, so to speak).

As it currently stands, with the 0.5 intensity thingy... I have 0.25 intensity on each weapon, less than all of you... OR my dual-wielding style would need to be OP to compensate. Will be fun if I gear my character heavily towards strength to exploit that and have absurd damage. But... I do not really want that, or do you?

Level 35
sanger2_1432.png

Name: Sanger Zonvolt
Personality:

Chaotic good.

Sanger is an honorable soldier who fights for his self-perceived 'greater good', with little regard of what other people expect of him. Hardened by a long career as a soldier, Sanger has an amazing amount of wisdom on the battlefield and can sense the potential in allies and enemies alike.

Physical traits: A well-built, muscular man with constant determination in his eyes.

Stats: You are given 10 points to allocate.

Vigor 4
Strength 5
Precision 3
Agility 2

Equipment:

Colossal blade: Sanger carries a huge blade with himself, which he can swing with deadly efficiency, but makes him sluggish in combat, therefore he prefers using the colossal blade without wearing his armor.

Katana: In fights where more agility is required, Sanger prefers to use his Katana, which is less devastating, yet allows him to move freely.

"Grungust" heavy armor: Sanger wears his armor rarely, since it makes him extremely sluggish. Yet, the Grungust provides formidable durability.

Sanger has no relation to magic, neither does his equipment.

Biography:

Little is known about the early life of Sanger Zonvolt, except that he has an extremely long career as a Hunter compared to his age. His exploits made him achieve a moderate fame among his companions, yet he prefers to choose his own methods of working in the field and in life in general.

Level 7
Or you could have two swords and only enchant one of them. That could work too. ;I
Not.. really. THen I would have a definite disadvantage OR overpowered attacks. Ive gone over that, though. except if I could infuse one to two... But well, this would kinda destroy the fantasy behind the swords themselves, especially the names - they weren'T chosen randomly.

Level 16
@Lucy
What I meant by having twice the possible bonuses is that you have access to more bonuses than that with other people.

For example, If infusions add a +2 against normal enemies and a +4 against weak enemies, then let's say your fighting an enemy weak to lightning and normal against fire, so you get +4 bonus because of your lightning infusion and another +2 for your fire infusion. That's a +6 added to the damage dealt. If you put another character with only 1 infusion(lightning) in that same scenario, he would only get a +4 bonus.

What about if they fought an enemy who's weak to fire but normal to lightning? The latter character would only get a +2 bonus while the former would still get a +6 bonus.

The fact that you're dual-wielding wouldn't really matter because base damage would depend on the number you rolled, so even if you attacked with both weapons or with only one, there will only be one roll of a dice for that attack.

Also you don't have 0.25 level on each of your weapons but have 0.5 level on each of them.

@Zzonehardy
I will update the front post with what element is weak with what. Don't worry.

Regen and shield give penalties to attackers and don't give bonuses but can be stopped from giving penalties by certain attacks like corrosive.

@Zombie
Approved.

Level 7
@Lucy
What I meant by having twice the possible bonuses is that you have access to more bonuses than that with other people.

For example, If infusions add a +2 against normal enemies and a +4 against weak enemies, then let's say your fighting an enemy weak to lightning and normal against fire, so you get +4 bonus because of your lightning infusion and another +2 for your fire infusion. That's a +6 added to the damage dealt. If you put another character with only 1 infusion(lightning) in that same scenario, he would only get a +4 bonus.

What about if they fought an enemy who's weak to fire but normal to lightning? The latter character would only get a +2 bonus while the former would still get a +6 bonus.

The fact that you're dual-wielding wouldn't really matter because base damage would depend on the number you rolled, so even if you attacked with both weapons or with only one, there will only be one roll of a dice for that attack.

Also you don't have 0.25 level on each of your weapons but have 0.5 level on each of them.
But that was exactly what I was talking about. Because I attack with two weapons, you'd need to half the bonuses. From what I've gathered so far: You completely ignore the fact that I dual wield, treat both weapons as one attack.... but add the full bonus to both strikes. This makes little sense, as the whole point of dual wield is a versatility advantage versus a strength malus - and I explained thoroughly why that would happen. The fact that I dual wield naturally leads to half the infusion bonus for each weapon - this is nothing to difficult or speciial to do, just half the bonus damage and that's it.
Usually, for dual wield, one also gets two rolls for an attack which are each halved in strength. This is, again, no advantage, but a utility change(More consistent damage output, but less spikes). But well, we can also just ignore that fact and roll with the way it currently is~

Level 16
@Lucy
Correct me if I'm wrong.
"I wouldn't deal 1+2 times 2=6 damage, but 0.5+1 times 2=3."
The 1 in the first part is the base damage of one of the swords, the 2 is the bonus of the infusion, the "times 2" there is because of your dual attack, and finally you halved them in the second part as your way of balancing things.

Level 7
@Lucy
Correct me if I'm wrong.
"I wouldn't deal 1+2 times 2=6 damage, but 0.5+1 times 2=3."
The 1 in the first part is the base damage of one of the swords, the 2 is the bonus of the infusion, the "times 2" there is because of your dual attack, and finally you halved them in the second part as your way of balancing things.
Double due to dual wield, halved due to.. dual wield. Exactly. It mainly has interesting interactions with diceroll(Two halved rolls=more consistency, less spikes) and with enemies weak/strong against one of my elements(Less benefit, less malus).
It does give the dual-wielding thing a certain uniqueness, but it's powerlevel is exactly the same as every other characters.

I simply find it a bit.. distressing to have these weak infusions on my weapons, for RP-reasons also(I mean.. what can I even do with a 0.5 infusion? Ice turns to a cool breeze, lightning turns into tickling..)

Level 26
You elecrify the victims with a cold breeze as you kill your opponents. That sounds pretty badass actually. Basically, you'd hunt as a non-elemental person more or less. A magnetized blade or a cold blade could work in combination with envenomed weapons though. Donno what the GM says about that. Technically speaking, it's not any elemental aspect to it. (The venom I mean.)

Maybe the state of the two swords could allow you to coat them in different kinds of venom? Might nudge it back to OP state though. But eh, loophole. The GM never specified anything about applying human made poisons, from scorpions, snakes ect.

Level 16
Double due to dual wield, halved due to.. dual wield. Exactly. It mainly has interesting interactions with diceroll(Two halved rolls=more consistency, less spikes) and with enemies weak/strong against one of my elements(Less benefit, less malus).
It does give the dual-wielding thing a certain uniqueness, but it's powerlevel is exactly the same as every other characters.

I simply find it a bit.. distressing to have these weak infusions on my weapons, for RP-reasons also(I mean.. what can I even do with a 0.5 infusion? Ice turns to a cool breeze, lightning turns into tickling..)

Oohhh. ok.
I understand now. I completely misunderstood it the first time. I'm good with that but the problem is you'll have to do extra work since you will be doing the rolls against non-boss npcs. I will be discussing this in the next part of this post.

For everyone, I need to get your say on this. I'll be very busy during the the next months due to me participating in something at school and this will take a chunk of my free time and my time on this RP. Because of this, I will need you guys to choose whether you want to have the mechanics(stats, rolls, etc) but you'll have to do the rolling yourselves when fighting non-boss npcs or you could choose to not have the mechanics entirely and start already.

I'm truly sorry for this confusion that I've made and for making you guys spend a lot of time changing your characters. I hope that despite these complications, we can still get this RP going.

Last edited:
Level 7
Oohhh. ok.
I understand now. I completely misunderstood it the first time. I'm good with that but the problem is you'll have to do extra work since you will be doing the rolls against non-boss npcs. I will be discussing this in the next part of this post.
That is good to hear. I simply want...proper balance in tha regard.

For everyone, I need to get your say on this. I'll be very busy during the the next months due to me participating in something at school and this will take a chunk of my free time and my time on this RP. Because of this, I will need you guys to choose whether you want to have the mechanics(stats, rolls, etc) but you'll have to do the rolling yourselves when fighting non-boss npcs or you could choose to not have the mechanics entirely.

I'm truly sorry for this confusion that I've made and for making you guys spend a lot of time changing your characters. I hope that despite these complications, we can still get this RP going.
I do not know what the others think of this, but I would say: Take your time. Once you have the time, we start... Better than rushing the start and not having the time to have the RP flow properly once it already is in progress.
You elecrify the victims with a cold breeze as you kill your opponents. That sounds pretty badass actually. Basically, you'd hunt as a non-elemental person more or less. A magnetized blade or a cold blade could work in combination with envenomed weapons though. Donno what the GM says about that. Technically speaking, it's not any elemental aspect to it. (The venom I mean.)

Maybe the state of the two swords could allow you to coat them in different kinds of venom? Might nudge it back to OP state though. But eh, loophole. The GM never specified anything about applying human made poisons, from scorpions, snakes ect.
If sugar-coating would be a job, I'd elect you as my manager. In other words: It really sounds good... if you put it like that. But it is more of a general thing..But I think the baconloving cat and me will soon be able to work this out.

Any OPness could simply be prevented by proper modifiers(Non-stacking poison/Half damage or effect - might not make exact logical sense, but would be a proper compromise for combat).
In simpler combat systems(Id Est: No specific class bonus or the like), simple solutions are the ones that work best.

Level 16
https://rolz.org/group
Guys, we will be using this site to roll dices. Just enter your THW Username as your nickname then put in "the hunt" in Room name. Please familiarize yourselves with the codes on the right especially macros. Don't worry though, I will provide the formula for the rolls and you just need to copy and paste it.

The reason for this site is to keep track of your rolls so you don't try to cheat by rolling a bunch of times then getting the best result.

Here is the formula for attacks:
explode=6 (1d6+n)-(1d6+m)
Blue -> Attacker's roll
Red -> Defender's roll
n -> Action bonuses of the attacker
m -> Action bonuses of the defender
Green -> Checks if any of the dice rolled on either side gets a 6. 6 results in a critical and rolls another die .

Level 16
Sorry about delaying the RP. I've been really busy with school but now that activities are done, I can update this thread.
So.

Another update!
Check the Lorepainter section to see what's new. With this update I think we can finally start the RP.
If you have any questions or suggestions(especially with the bonuses and penalties, also the regen magic) then don't hesitate to tell me. Otherwise if your good with everything, tell me here so if all of you are okay, we can start.

Status
Not open for further replies.