• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Training Facility

Reactions: deepstrasz
Model by Mr.Bob

Give credits when used.
Contents

Barracks 2 (Model)

Reviews
21:21, 29th Aug 2008 Laenel: Approved
Status
Not open for further replies.
I suggest you to use tinkerbuilding texture instead (is almost the same, just different color), add some details like windows, doors, wired fences, etc (by modeling them first and then applying the right texture, just some boxes, so you can add different texture). You also need better textures for the tents, now they look like pieces of wood (use shaman's or marketplace textures), maybe making them more pointy. Birth animation looks good so far, is not monotone raising from the ground, but you could make some construction mesh, which is visible only at birth and you could use it also for your other buildings. Oh, and when you will learn that death and birth are nonlooping animations -.-

Personal opinion: I'd rather see if you could compress the model size (I don't mean filesize, but model proportions), so it looks better in warcraft (and also other RTS games), so you reduce the empty space inside the building which looks ugly. For example you make the walls shorter (so you reduce interior area), while inside you reduce the number of tents for exmaple to 2 and you make inside buildings nearer to each other.

Level 31
I suggest you to use tinkerbuilding texture instead (is almost the same, just different color), add some details like windows, doors, wired fences, etc (by modeling them first and then applying the right texture, just some boxes, so you can add different texture). You also need better textures for the tents, now they look like pieces of wood (use shaman's or marketplace textures), maybe making them more pointy. Birth animation looks good so far, is not monotone raising from the ground, but you could make some construction mesh, which is visible only at birth and you could use it also for your other buildings. Oh, and when you will learn that death and birth are nonlooping animations -.-

Personal opinion: I'd rather see if you could compress the model size (I don't mean filesize, but model proportions), so it looks better in warcraft (and also other RTS games), so you reduce the empty space inside the building which looks ugly. For example you make the walls shorter (so you reduce interior area), while inside you reduce the number of tents for exmaple to 2 and you make inside buildings nearer to each other.

I agree with the texture and the added features. But, when it comes to the proportions, I think the empty space compliments the realism of the building. After all, it is a facility/HQ type place. As long as the walls are large enough to set a sort of 'spiritual boundary'. I don't think windows or doors are needed, because it isn't quite noticeable in game.

Although, the fences and construction details are a good idea.

The texture for the tents will be changed as well.

Thank you for an extremely helpful post.

Well, I think that windows and doors are needed. Or something that resembles them. You can check kofi banan's command center model and as you can see he added some windows and this stuff. It's more noticeable as you may think.

Anyway, if you look at other buildings in games, they hardly have much empty area. Especially in warcraft, the space must be compressed.

Yes, this texture really makes difference.

Sorry to be annoying, but I have some more things to say. :p The tents now looks more like some like some containers from far distance. Mainly also because there is no entrance seen (you know that fissure) and also I still don't get why blizzard chose that texture for tinker factory. You will have to find some better cloth texture for it and make the entrance visible. I also wonder why the roof is so bright seeing that you used townhall texture, you probably messed something I guess.

I still wait for you to add doors and windows. You should increase the size of the detachment of the main structure. Then add doors (just a box mesh with appropriate resize) and throw some textures on. Make a small door to the detachment part and some bigger entrance to the main building. Add some windows same way to main building, but you don't need too many. also towers needs some apertures.

You could observe also that temple of boom texture, it can turn pretty well out.

Level 31
We'll see how it goes, then I will make updates and such when I have the time. I don't see any un-approving worthy stuff, I mean, the UVW works, the anims work, and the everything else works. Besides the lack of small details such as doors and such. Those are not criticle to the approving of this model.

Status
Not open for further replies.