• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Northrend Undead Building Birth

Made for The Hive Workshop's SFX Competition #1.

Give credits to Pyritie if you use this.

How to add to your map:
Pyritie;495337 said:
You could always just use some basic triggers. Make a dummy unit with this SFX, then when a player builds a building, change the building to 100% transparency, create this SFX unit, play its birth animation, then when the building is done being constructed, you change it to 0% transparency and remove the SFX unit.

Alternatively...

Pyritie said:
No no no. Okay. I'll give you an example.

You are making a TD, and you have three towers that need this frost undead birth model. One of them takes 20 seconds to build, one takes 30 seconds, and one takes 50 seconds. So then you do this:

SFX is a Special Effect variable and Building is a unit variable.

• Events
    • Unit - A unit starts construction
  • Conditions
    • Or - Multiple Functions
      • (Unit type of (Constructing structure)) is equal to Tower (20secs)
      • (Unit type of (Constructing structure)) is equal to Tower (30secs)
      • (Unit type of (Constructing structure)) is equal to Tower (50secs)
  • Actions
    • Custom script: local effect udg_SFX
    • Custom script: local unit udg_Building
    • Set Building = (Constructing Structure)
    • Animation - Set vertex shading of Building to 100.00, 100.00, 100.00, 0.00
    • Special Effect - Create a special effect on the origin of Building using war3mapImported\UBirth.mdx [[or whatever the path of the birth model is]]
    • Set SFX = (Last created special effect)
    • If Then Else - Multiple Functions
      • If - Conditions
        • (Unit type of (Building)) is equal to Tower (20secs)
      • Then - Actions
        • Wait 20.00 seconds
      • Else
          • If - Conditions
            • (Unit type of (Building)) is equal to Tower (30secs)
          • Then - Actions
            • Wait 30.00 seconds
          • Else
              • If - Conditions
                • (Unit type of (Building)) is equal to Tower (50secs)
              • Then - Actions
                • Wait 50.00 seconds
              • Else
      • If - Conditions
        • (Building is alive) equal to True
      • Then - Actions
        • Special effect - Destroy SFX
        • Animation - Set vertex shading of Building to 100.00, 100.00, 100.00, 100.00
      • Else - Actions
Keep in mind that if the building is destroyed or if it is canceled, the building will be destroyed and so will the effect (but only if you attach it to the building, NOT make it at where the building is), even if the 20/30/50 seconds are not finished yet.

Keywords:
frost, undead, building, birth, northrend, cold, ice
Contents

Northrend Undead Building Birth (Model)

Reviews
General Frank: Simple and very nice looking birth animation. I approve.

M

General Frank:

Simple and very nice looking birth animation. I approve.

I dunno. I just make the SFX; you have to figure that out on your own.

You could always just use some basic triggers. Make a dummy unit with this SFX, then when a player builds a building, change the building to 100% transparency, create this SFX unit, play its birth animation, then when the building is done being constructed, you change it to 0% transparency and remove the SFX unit.

Read the comments before posting please.

Level 19
I've done it like that and it doesn't seem to work
(second time using JASS might be the problem....)
well that's what happens:
1. I build something
2. the building and everything with it (including the special effect) vanishes until 10 seconds are over
3. everything is revealed and I can see the special effect for a brief period of time
4. everything is back to normal
nevertheless it looks very cool this moment :D

JASS:
function Trig_Untitled_Trigger_001_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
    local effect lastone = null
    call SetUnitVertexColorBJ( GetTriggerUnit(), 100, 100, 100, 100.00 )
    call AddSpecialEffectTargetUnitBJ( "origin", GetTriggerUnit(), "war3mapImported\\UBirth.mdx" )
    set lastone = GetLastCreatedEffectBJ()
    call PolledWait( 10.00 )
    call DestroyEffectBJ( lastone )
    call SetUnitVertexColorBJ( GetTriggerUnit(), 100, 100, 100, 0.00 )
endfunction

Attachments

• frostyBuild.w3x
    67.3 KB · Views: 118
Level 2
I tried using your tutorial but it seems it's not exactly like the trigger editor in WE, are you using another program to make that trigger?

Also the script files in your trigger, are they imported or do you just write what it says and shit will happen?

Level 2
Well I've been trying to use common sense and since I am so new to the editor it hasn't gotten me far. Could you take take a snapshot of the entire trigger and post it here so newbies like me can mimic it entirely (and learn a lot in the process I might add) instead of writing it by memory.
If not could you help me continue where I am stuck?

My first problem is the Set Building = (Constructing Structure) trigger. The closest thing I could find was: Set Building = (Units of type (Unit of type (Constructing Structure))). Is this correct?

Second problem is the Unit type of (Building)) is equal to Tower (20secs) trigger. It won't allow me to use the Building variable. I'm thinking it's because the Initial value is Empty Unit Group (Default). How do I make a Unit Group?

Level 2
Yeah thanks, both my problems were fixed after I changed the Building variable to Unit instead of Unit Group.

But it seems that the buildings and their original birth animation won't disappear while the custom birth animation is playing. So I have two birth animations playing. I have the exact same triggers as you in your guide except for the; Animation - Set vertex shading of Building - trigger. All I could find was Change variable's (building in my case) vertex coloring to (100.00% 100.00% 100.00%) with 00.00% transparency. Thought it was close enough.

How about I send you a picture of my trigger so you can go through it?
If you feel like you don't want to look at my trigger then how do I get the buildings and their animation to disappear while the custom birth animation is playing?

But it seems that the buildings and their original birth animation won't disappear while the custom birth animation is playing. So I have two birth animations playing. I have the exact same triggers as you in your guide except for the; Animation - Set vertex shading of Building - trigger. All I could find was Change variable's (building in my case) vertex coloring to (100.00% 100.00% 100.00%) with 00.00% transparency. Thought it was close enough.
Yeah, that's what I mean

How about I send you a picture of my trigger so you can go through it?
If you feel like you don't want to look at my trigger then how do I get the buildings and their animation to disappear while the custom birth animation is playing?
Not a picture. Copy it as text and put it in
  • tags.

Level 2
Didn't know how to do it first but I kept trying to copy the wrong trigger icon, pasting it now.

Last edited:
Level 2
  • DemonBirth
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins construction
    • Conditions
      • Or - Any (Conditions) are true
        • Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Constructing structure)) Equal to Blacksmith
          • (Unit-type of (Constructing structure)) Equal to Demon Hall
          • (Unit-type of (Constructing structure)) Equal to Flame Tower
          • (Unit-type of (Constructing structure)) Equal to Altar of Terror
          • (Unit-type of (Constructing structure)) Equal to Corrupted Gold Mine
          • (Unit-type of (Constructing structure)) Equal to Shrine of Power
          • (Unit-type of (Constructing structure)) Equal to Demon Portal
          • (Unit-type of (Constructed structure)) Equal to Soul Generator
    • Actions
      • Custom script: local effect udg_SFX
      • Custom script: local unit udg_Building
      • Set Building = (Constructing structure)
      • Animation - Change Building's vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 0.00% transparency
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the origin of (Triggering unit) using DemonBirth.mdx
      • Set SFX = (Last created special effect)
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of Building) Equal to Blacksmith
        • Then - Actions
          • Wait 60.00 seconds
        • Else - Actions
            • If - Conditions
              • (Unit-type of Building) Equal to Flame Tower
            • Then - Actions
              • Wait 35.00 seconds
            • Else - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Unit-type of Building) Equal to Altar of Terror
                • Then - Actions
                  • Wait 60.00 seconds
                • Else - Actions
                    • If - Conditions
                      • (Unit-type of Building) Equal to Demon Portal
                    • Then - Actions
                      • Wait 60.00 seconds
                    • Else - Actions
                        • If - Conditions
                          • (Unit-type of Building) Equal to Corrupted Gold Mine
                        • Then - Actions
                          • Wait 60.00 seconds
                        • Else - Actions
                            • If - Conditions
                              • (Unit-type of Building) Equal to Shrine of Power
                            • Then - Actions
                              • Wait 60.00 seconds
                            • Else - Actions
                                • If - Conditions
                                  • (Unit-type of Building) Equal to Soul Generator
                                • Then - Actions
                                  • Wait 35.00 seconds
                                • Else - Actions
                                    • If - Conditions
                                      • (Unit-type of Building) Equal to Demon Hall
                                    • Then - Actions
                                      • Wait 180.00 seconds
                                    • Else - Actions
        • If - Conditions
          • (Building is alive) Equal to True
        • Then - Actions
          • Special Effect - Destroy SFX
          • Animation - Change Building's vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 100.00% transparency
        • Else - Actions

Level 2
Rofl :D. So you never did try out this trigger?

BTW those custom script commands... I only wrote what you wrote in your guide, do these commands do anything if they haven't been created in a custom script editor?

Level 2
BUSTED!... :Þ

Ahh so the custom scripts do play a part in this.

But if you never did try out this trigger, how on earth did you manage to make the custom birth animation in your screen shot work?

Level 2
Well if you ever get around making a trigger that replaces the default animation and actually works, send it to me. :)