• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Goblin_Mechanic by Rizz_Boomer

The finished Goblin-Mechanic!
I made this model for a caster-unit
and hope you find a good use for it.

And if GF still say something is weard about the arms...
ONE OF EM IS MECHANIC, DAMM IT!

ahem...

[Edit]
Remade the follwing animations:
Stand Ready 2
Attack
Stand Work
Stand Work 2
Spell
Spell Channel
Walk
Death
Decay Flesh
Decay Bone

Yes he is shaking in the "walk" animation, but its realy hard to see
ingame. Still hope you like it more now

Keywords:
Rizz Boomer, Rizz_Boomer, Caster, Goblin, Mechanic, Goblinmechanic, Goblin_Mechanic, steeljaw, halfmechanic, cyborg
Contents

Goblin_Mechanic by Rizz_Boomer (Model)

Reviews
17:27, 13th Jan 2009 General Frank: Tested and works very well. Awesome idea and no I won't say anything about the arms.

M

17:27, 13th Jan 2009
General Frank:

Tested and works very well. Awesome idea and no I won't say anything about the arms.

Level 11
Haha, it's kindy funny, except attack animation. =( He has just 1 attack animation and I can't understad, is it supposed to throw wrench or what? Also casting animation is pure as it has already been said, but the whole impression is positive. Goob job, but still has way of improvement. ;) 4/5 for now, but I hope you'll work on it before approving, so I'll rate it later.

Level 4
All of this is just an Opinion.

Needs work:
The Walk animation
The Death animation

Things you might want to look into
Work Animation
Spell Animation

The Teeth look weird team-colored to me :\ but considering you can't notice it from game view its fine. This model overall is badass, the flawed Animations don't cripple it in any form to me :D 4/5 (That doesn't mean you shouldn't change it tho o_o)

Level 9
Dn't be offended but here are my opinions:
+You can put some holes at the mouth like this: :)::)
- I feel weird about the feet. It's not goblin-like. I guess it should be thinner.
- A not worth it filesize while it's using in-game texture (I think)
- The mask, you can higher it up a bit cause it looks like it doesn't match the real eyes, or make the nose smaller or lower.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Is there a wrench projectile fitting for this model?
Yes. Do a [Search], or just check for "Szythe's Tech Pack" on Wc3C.

Haven't checked it in-game, but looks worth a try. Bad animations tend to sour these things, but it's a good model idea; better than using a de-Hero-ized Tinker, that's for sure. :p

BTW, that icon is awexome! for this model. Wrong topic, I know.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Holy Goblins, Batman, this is worth a double-post!

I have to say, I tested this in Magos, not expecting much (not like you're a bad modeller, I'd just heard the anims were wonky from the above posters). And you know what? It kicks awexome!!

Everything about this model screams "personality" and "Mechanic" to me. I love how your anims do so much with so little; flipping the wrench and dropping it on his foot, looking devious, etc... How his shield constantly spins (!!!), the robot-arm with it's articulated fingers, and freakin' the Robo-Spurs on his heels that propel him like wheels! I was expecting a regular Walk, but it's such a cool idea!

That's not to say it was without fault. Yes, the Death was a bit anticlimactic. Sure, the Decay Flesh/Bone was a bit fast. The "Trapjaw" thing with the team-color teeth, while unique and fun, is also kinda jarring on a unit model. And what is up with the blue spiky hat, huh?? :p

But really, this is a very useful model, with good anims that show character. A great unit model; 4/5.

(Oh wait, was I gonna use Phoenix-IV's Profiteer hero for the Mechanic instead?... Dangit, I can't remember. :p)

Level 14
I tested this one In game and I have to say that the walk animation looks really awkward. The wheels on his feet are hardly noticeable and it looks like he is gliding forward.

I suggest you either make him walk normally or a more alive animation like he is skating i.e crouching a little bit more while moving. I also think it would be better if you added rocket boots instead of wheels.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Oh maaan. My whole mega-post got deleted. :/ Looks like it's time for a nutshell version.

~~~

Alright.
Tested in-game; now I won't *squeeee* over it as much.
Still awexome, needs work though.

Anims
1. I disagree with above poster; the gliding is cool, and the rockets would look silly (he's a Mechanic, not a Rocketeer, or a Jetpack Goblin, or a Firebat Goblin, etc).
However, something has to be changed to make it better; he's right, the wheels are unnoticeable in-game. You should probably do one of these:
- Make wheels bigger
- bigger Dust clouds
- more animation instead of "rigid solid" everywhere else.

In fact, I would do all 3; make the wheels more noticeable, make the dust cloud bigger (cover the tracks nicely), and make his upper body (torso/head/arms) stay rigid, but bounce up and down rapidly, like a car engine that is idling.

~OR~ (just thought of this): Remove the whole "wheels on the heel" bit. Remember how his shield includes an always-spinning Gear on it's edge? Well what if he put that underneath him and balanced on it, like a single wheel??
It could stay connected to his arm; he just puts his arm straight down and balances on it.
(If you do that, though, I would make the Gear/Cog shield a bit bigger/thicker, and make the Goblin himself a bit thinner/smaller, so it doesn't look silly. :p)

-In fact, you may want think about making the Goblin a tad thinner/smaller anyway; he's a tad bulky.

~~~

... Something else... Oh yeah.

2. You're animations are progressing wonderfully, and show that you really thought about this guy.
But if I may criticize; your animations need more "life"

For example, look at something like the Paladin, or the Priest. When they do their anims, it's almost like not a single part of their body stays still.

However, for many of your anims, that is the case. Best example I can give is the Repair (Stand Work) anim.
I love the way he cranks the wrench with the mech arm, and how the arm slides down the wrench. However, everything from the arm down is stock-still, completely rigid.

The best way to animate (so I've been told) is to mimic the actions yourself. Pretend to crank a wrench against some imaginary object in front of you. (I did. :p). Your "wrench-arm" moves, you got that down. But the other arm steadies the object (so it's up), and even your whole upper torso moves along with the "wrench-arm" as it cranks? As a result, everything but your feet/legs/head are moving; and even then, you splay your feet out wider to give yourself a solid base.

Anyway, hope that helped. I know that animating can't be much fun or easy, so I understand any reluctance to redo/refix them. Just making suggestions. :p

Last edited:
Level 16
Have to admit, that i become lazy with the animations...
guess it began with the "Attack" Animation. since then I
just wanted to finish it.
About the Wheels:
Im not statisfied either, since i wanted to add on both
sides of his feet some tracked devices (not sure if its right that way)
Problem is, that i dont know how i animate the texture,
like they were on the tinker tank.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
You could do that, but then it would look like Rollerskates.

Which... well, that might also be cool. But only if they retract into the shoe(s) when not in use. It seems kinda silly for such a generic unit to have Rollerskates all the time.

Also, animating Rollerskates (with the legs moving + holding) would be harder than this.

I wouldn't worry so much about the animated texture; a bigger wheel will suffice (as well as the above).

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Hey, I didn't say something at first... :p

And if you only take positive criticism, I'm sorry but you'll get no where. You have made and continue to make some serious quality models. Maybe not compared to, say, jigrael... But then again, no one should be compared to jigrael. How can you beat the gods? :p

Anyway, you're doing great. There are things to improve on, though. Which is good, because it can only get better.

(Also, the wheels can't be that hard; I'll probably go into Magos and just resize them myself. :p)

Level 6
I love the idea of a mechanical arm, and the gear-shield thing... but I do agree that the animations could be a bit better.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Not much else should be changed, without ruining the point of the model (i.e. the steeljaw is kinda wierd, but then it wouldn't be your model).

I mean, the baggy pants + spiky blue "hair" (?) are wierd, but the anim fixes you've made definitely help. Also, where are there too many particles??

Level 3
Damn nice model. But the portrait sucks. Give it a good talking portrait and ill rate it then. Currently is 1/5.