• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spell: Unit Cannon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for the unit cannon from the Total Annihilation series.

Basics:

Player loads X units into cargo hold of cannon, player targets ground, cannon fires a projectile (model configurable), upon impact units from cargo hold appear.

MUI, speed of projectile configurable, model of projectile configurable, impact special effect configurable

Here is a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-clM252LgG4

It will be a mobile unit using this model: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/fusion-cannon-203096/?prev=search=cannon&d=list&r=20

The cannon will need to turn in the direction it is firing so the spell needs to order the model to do that. I'd also like a smoke effect created in a ring when a the cannon is fired. The primary difference here is that I want all units fired together in a sort of energy ball so enemies don't know the contents of the load. If a player targets deep water it needs to cancel the cast and return an error. If a player targets a wooded area the trees need to be destroyed before the units are spawned.

Last edited:
Level 7
Well Kam, if you mean like Tuskar's snowball in DotA (brings all nearby allies to the target enemy in a snowball) i can do that part, but i am not really used to using cargo hold for anything, so that part i cannot help with.

Level 11
he means, he will load some units into the cargo, the cargo will then have a spell where it will launch a missile/projectile to a targeted area, and then all of the units in the cargo will appear there

Level 7
Can you give me a few details though please, like do you want this to target a unit/ground? Do you want it to bring nearby units with the ball like snowball does? (I wont be able to do anything with cargo hold) Do you want to ball to grow like snowball does? Do you want it to interrupt enemies actions that the ball rolls across? Do you want it to stun enemies apon landing?

Last edited:
Level 9
Sorry, for kind of necroposting, but I guess this is necessary.

After spending about 7 hours of work/research and brain damaging, I have made an 'about ready to go' version (still needs some/a lot of changes)

In the testmap, there is a tavern. Pick any heroes. The hero who has Unit Cannon is Shadow Shaman.

Please tell me what needs to be changed (the movement of the lightnings towards the caster to make one big ball made my head spin for almost half an hour and it might be implemented only later ;()

I've put comments where you can customize stuff. Customizing the missile and the smoke (or w/e) you can in the unit section, Cannon [Dummy] and Cannon [Cloud] - just change the Model File.

Tiche3

Attachments

• Hive's Spellpack v2.2b.w3x
    673.8 KB · Views: 119
Level 9
Three things mainly:

You should not be able to cast it in deep water or clusters of trees. I suggest using a dummy unit with pathing of a Castle to determine viable target points.

I would prefer the dummy ability have an AOE marker.

I would prefer the spell be in a map by itself for simplicity.

It looks good though.

1. I thought it cannot target deep water. Will be fixed later (need to study :D)
2. Don't know what you really mean - the targeted area? (you target the landing point. There is no landing AoE, only AoE which vacuums the units around) - please explain.
3. That would take me lots and lots of work copying, pasting, modifying and creating a new map. I will do this ONLY if i have enough time to do it. I know it's messy, but hey :(

This spell is/was extremely challenging to me :)
Thanks for the review, I'm going to study now and I will check it out later.

EDIT: Here it is, i've done few things:

1. Added a deep water thingie in the map: click on it with the spell. Also added few trees.
2. Added an AoE marker, also added that if there are trees in that area - the spell will be canceled.
3. Sorry, but it is like that ;( but I've added a category-comment, to show you where the triggers are. The spell itself is in Undead section. The dummies are next to the other dummies.

EDIT2: Here it is, i've done few things:

1. Added the checking for black mask.
2. Added the error message. The trigger for it is in the thing above ALL categories. Had to search for it in hive.

Hope it's good for you.

Tiche3

Attachments

• Hive's Spellpack v2.2d.w3x
    674.8 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
Reactions: Kam
Status
Not open for further replies.