• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Model Request: Health bar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 24
Hi all.

I would like to have custom health bars for special units in my dungeon map.

There are 4 models that are required for this.
1. The health bar.
I tried to find one that would fit with my needs but without success.
It is a simple bar that has a black background and a perfect white bar.
Colors will be made using SetUnitVertexColor() so I can use any color at all.
This means that there is no team color involved.
It must have (at least) 200 animations in the correct order from empty to full.
Animation 1 = 0%
Animation 2 = 0.5%
Animation 3 = 1%
Animation 4 = 1.5%
Animation 5 = 2%
Animation 6 = 2.5%
etc. etc. etc.
(This model might already exist. If so that would also be good (as long as teh bar is perfect white.)

2. The background for players.
This is the border around the models.
This border must give some epic feeling to the players to say that these are special units (heroes/bosses/etc.).
This model will be for the hero of the players.
I don't have a specific concept drawing for this... because my paint skills are very low in that perspective. The heroes are humans that fight for their king... so the health bar should have a bit of a royal feeling.
If someone could design such a background it would be amazing already.
At the top it must be straight because there will be more bars added above the health and mana bar to represent stuff like shields.

3. The background for enemies.
The enemy heroes/bosses should also have a background but not one like the one for the players. This one should instead have a bit of an evil feeling.
But except for that, it should still have the two bars and a straight top border.

4. The overlay.
Some of you might have played League of Legends (DotA 2 too btw but I like the visuals of the health bars from LoL more than DotA 2). In that game, the health bars are "separated" in blocks of 100 health. It is very clearly seen in this picture.
Every 1k health is a completely separated block. That is clearly seen in this picture.

This model is a almost transparant one that is painted over the health bar. (In LoL this is different but this is how it must be done in WC3.)
The model has a lot animtions... to make it perfect, one animtion for every possible maximum health... which is just wasting your time when making this model so I say 50 animations for 1000 health. (a difference of 20 health to 10 health is not really worth doubling the animations... I do not really want to make your life miserable.)
So the total of animations... (I don't know how long it would take to make) should be abot 250 - 300.
Animation 1 will be completely transparant.
Animation 2 will be completely transparant.
Animation 3 will have one small line at 2/3 of the bar
Animation 4 will have one small line at 2/4 of the bar
Animation 5 will have two small lines at 2/5 and 4/5 of the bar (you could notice that it is always at (2, 4, 6, etc / (the number of animation)
Animation 11 will have 4 small lines at 2/11, 4/11, 6/11, 8/11 and one big one at 10/11.
You should be able to find out the rest.

The lines which make the blocks must be "dark" grey so they are still visible on the black background of the health bar.

(here is another example of a nice health bar background.
You can search the web for more examples and idc if you just copy one of those... but the owner might.)

I know this might be a massive request and may be able to be taken by more people at the same time. (like one does the background for the players, another does the background for enemies, a third person makes the health bars and someone else does the overlay lines.)

Anyway this would add so much to this map that it is worth it.
+rep and credits given ofcourse. (shouldn't have to say that actually ;D )

Level 23
separation is almost impossible, because the model has no idea of how much health the unit will actually have, so for unit with 3000 max hp you would need model with 30 pieces, and for unit with 5k hp you would need another model with 50 pieces.

You can only have percantage.

I am no modeller so I cant help with the creation itself

Level 24
separation is almost impossible, because the model has no idea of how much health the unit will actually have, so for unit with 3000 max hp you would need model with 30 pieces, and for unit with 5k hp you would need another model with 50 pieces.

I think that that is not true.

The model does not have to know how much health a unit has because the bar could easily be about mana or a custom value for a shield or whatever.

How much of the bar should be filled and how much separators there must be must be handled by the manager... the Unit Health Bar System in my case.
That systems updates the size of the bar and of the overlay and sets the location of those dummies.

I think it is a bit (a lot) more work than the bar itself but I also think it could be done in one model that only shows a part of it's texture.

I don't have any experience with modelling so I am not quite sure if it is possible but if it is, then this is the only way.

Level 24
Ok now I am able to do the separation.
And I now have a working health bar.

Only the background has to be done now.
kllvprd.png

QAae7Z6.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.