• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Knight of Dol Amroth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello,

First time posting.

I've been updating a map called LOTR Risk Strongholds with the blessing of the original creator and there's one model that I can't identify as belonging to any model maker on the Hive or elsewhere.

This is a screenshot of the unit in question:

240422-albums7859-picture93027.png

It seems to use the following paths:

Textures\DolBody.blp
Textures\DolFace.blp
Knight_Portrait.MDX (this part seems to be incomplete; rather than remaining a stable portrait, it changes depending on the last unit/building selected)
kingminas.mdx

If anyone could help identify who may have made the model, I'd be obliged.

Edit: If I've placed this in the wrong section, my apologies.

Level 5
Thanks for the response, Hayate; it does bear a resemblance, doesn't it?

Unfortunately, I'm also using the Mounted Royal Captain in the map I mentioned; I'm positive that they're different models.

I suppose it could be a reskin, but I suspect it's not.

In any case, I'm trying to contact the original mapmaker via e-mail as well. Hopefully he'll be able to give me a lead.

Thanks for your reply!

Edit: In theory, it could be a reskin of the MRC, as I think you were hinting; it might explain the very similar helms, shields and horses. I don't have much that could help me to confirm this, though; I have no idea how old the Dol Amroth skin/model is.

My best guess on the KODA model/skin creation date would be somewhere between 2007 and 2011, since 2007 is the date of the earliest version of LOTR Risk StrongHold that I can find and the 2011 version is the only unprotected version that I can confirm the model/skin was definitely in. It could be earlier, though.

Level 5
That's actually the one I use for the Knights of Dol Amroth in LOTR Risk Strongholds (Knight [Changed]). I use the one I've posted here for Prince Imrahil the Fair.

Do you mean to say that the knight I posted was some sort of prototype of the Knight (Changed)? Aside from similar pathing, it seems a bit doubtful; the kingminas.mdx knight looks dramatically different when placed side-by-side in the editor.

Thanks for replying, Fawful, but the knight you've linked is definitely a different model than this one; the pathing's very similar, but they're distinct units. I have both the Knight (Changed) and the Unknown Soldier... er... model/skin in the map. I just nicknamed the one here the "Knight of Dol Amroth" because of the first two Texture paths.

I suspect the screenshot'd knight in the first post was an original creation by qpPyKT that he never completed; it shows up entirely black in a model viewer and the portrait was only half-complete. I can't find any trace of it online, so I doubt he ever released it on a WC3 model/skin site. It's... unique.

Edit: I've given both of you reputation for your help in my search.

Last edited:
Level 9
Hi!

For my current project I edited and reskined a model to turn it into the Dol Amroth knigh in attachements, if you are interested I can send it to you :)

Attachments

• HU007.png
    HU007.png
    254.4 KB · Views: 153
Status
Not open for further replies.