• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I suck at terraining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
In fact, i doesn't need any resource. I just need a few terraining tips from someone who's REALLY good. I am good, yes. But not as good as i wanted to be! Now, i'll show you a screenie of my work. Point out how i can improve it, okey?

Isuckatterraining.jpg

I am making this terrain for Sopho and his RCW map. And i really want it the best possible. This is not what will be for RCW. :) But don't worry. I am over halfway there. By far!

Level 2
I don't think you are right there, to be honest. I think it can be vastly improved. Seems like i am the only one who thinks that, as far as yet posted. Well, there must be some way to improve it! Come on :p

Oh, and by the way the crap shit out there is fields. It's grain and corn!

Thin out the trees, and on the far side change where the trees are to dirt or grass, cuz trees dont usually gow out of plain rocks. Put some more doodads in the water, like ships or fish (ships since it looks like the people just landed there). Also change the team to neautral passive so it doesnt look like someone is actually playing the game.

Level 2
Thank you. It was just what i was waiting to hear. This shitcake of a terrain is not going to be released. Yet, i wan't to know exactly how to use the editor as well as possible. And i can tell you that the thing about: "Trees usually doesn't grow right upon rocks." was usefull to me! Thank you!

Level 12
Make at least one overhanging cliff,
I like the idea of the corn but unless that is a river it looks a bit weird
Some of the hills look a bit lopsided (maybe for an effect but it looks weird)
Make some of the trees a bit smaller since the tree line shouldnt be so thick so near the water
Some birds on the beach with some fish would also look good

Note: Cattails are weeds, so a forest of them would be more appropiate (especialy in a swamp scene)

It does look good though, and it seems like it would
be a fun map :p

Level 2
Formula1 said:
1) Make at least one overhanging cliff,
2) I like the idea of the corn but unless that is a river it looks a bit weird
3) Some of the hills look a bit lopsided (maybe for an effect but it looks weird)
4) Make some of the trees a bit smaller since the tree line shouldnt be so thick so near the water
5) Some birds on the beach with some fish would also look good

6) Note: Cattails are weeds, so a forest of them would be more appropiate (especialy in a swamp scene)

7) It does look good though, and it seems like it would
be a fun map :p

Thank you for your response! I have divided your post up into points which i will reply to, but other sentances has an effect too, though! :p

1) That's exactly what i try to avoid. Cliffs... in my opinion they're the curse of the Warcraft 3 graphics. It's just too bad you cannot use the hills to make it verticle, like you can in Ground Control 2 for example.

2) I'm sorry! It's no river, it's a lake. Why can't you grow corn at your farm around a lake?

3) I cannot do anything about it. Warcraft 3's engine in allow me. Unless you mean noising the terain i a little. That could look pretty sweet, indeed!

4) I will look into that!

5) Fishes is missing. But the birds are there! :) Just can just barely see them, becouse they're so fraggin small!

6) It's no swamp scene. You are right that they looks good in a swamp area. But that's not what i'm making. Here in Denmark, it's not unusual to see cuttails in a thick layer all around the lake! There's on of them just 2km from my house.

7) Too sad i am making no map of it! :( Well, it someone strongly suggests it, then all right! But i cannot trigger very well, to your convinience! :( But anyways, thanks for saying that it looks good! :)

Level 2
And here comes the next picture. It has fulfilled all the ideas which i liked. It has cleared up and is now night. I thought about adding some ligts but... whatever! The lake is now a river, and there's plenty of fish's. And there's also some ships which they have landed with! :p

Isuckatterraining2.jpg

Tell me what can be improved now, please :D

Level 25
Unless the terrain is being used for a map where you actualy use the buildings, I'd rescale the buildings by about oh... 3 times, to make them somewhat the right size for real-life use

And a bit of variation in the trees could be useful (Make a custom tree based off a different tree model, but make it use the same skin as the ones you're using. Yes, you can do that in the editor. This'll make more variations of your trees)

Level 13
on positions where're multiple trees use another texture like dark grass (simply look the blizzard maps for this) so it looks like the trees lost some leaves. But don't do that with single trees, could look weird sometimes (simply test how it looks).

The river/lake (whatever) could need some more plants growing around it, but don't overdo it.

Some more details on the mountains (especially the one in the front) would also look nice, e.g. some mushrooms, a lonely flower...use your fantasy.

Some trees look a little bit lonely, add some flowers/plants/stones/mushrooms around them (close to the tree)

Still the scene looks somehow lifeless. Add some animals to the forest (the new ones blizzard added with the 1.17 patch would look cool, especially with the skins that were submitted yesterday)

The sky looks a little bit empty, but that's:
1. not easy to solve
2. most times not necessary

@Mecheon: Yeah, scaling the buildings is sometimes useful, but in this scene it would look weird, perhaps scaling to 1.2 - 1.5

Level 2
I will never give up! Though my friend, Feris.Darkclaw, powned me pretty hard at this one!
Isuckatterraining3.jpg

:( He's freaking good and he has always been it! :)

We've thought of making a campaign! Think of it! A campaign with a such terrain! Isn't it amazing? :shock:

Level 2
And now my friend is powned! Wow, they're good. There's a good challenge in becoming that great! But i know what this so exellently shows:

Warcraft 3 has the best graphics in a long, long time!

Status
Not open for further replies.