• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Contest: Autolot Games needs some animated models!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi Guys! :goblin_yeah:

We are a 4-man indie team making a turn-based old-school isometric rpg with 3D graphics (http://the-dark-triad.com). You can follow us on FB and or help us to publish our game on Steam =)
The estimated launch date of our game is August 2013.

THEDARKTRIAD-INGAME%20FOOTAGE1.jpg

THEDARKTRIAD-INGAME%20FOOTAGE2.jpg

We need a couple of models we can’t find anywhere. First one would be Danah, it’s a wizard-warrior female. Below you can see some excerpts of how it looks like =)

We need someone who’d like to model Danah for us. We will pay $200 for the winner model and we’ll add his name to the game credits besides giving away a digital copy of the game and the soundtrack. We’ll also reward the rest of participants with a cool surprise =). We´ll need help with some cool characters, so the winner probably will work with Autoloot Games for some aditional models also :)

CONTEST GUIDELINES
----------------------------

- The contest will last from today 20th January until 20th March 2013. We’ll announce the winner the 30th March 2013.

- We of course authorize the use of the winner model for modding purposes.

- The model should have between 2000-4000 polys.

- Don’t worry about the quality of the textures you add, our GFX artist Rafater will take care of it =)

- You don't need to add Normal, Specular or Ambient Occlusion layers, as the game won't use them for animated models.

- Textures need to be of 1024 , 1024 at least.

- You can save the model as a .3dsmax file or .fbx file. If you use Maya ot another 3D program, as long as it can be exported to .fbx it should be okey.

- You can use IK solvers for bones and any technique you feel most confortable with (symmetry, etc) as long as you deem the end result is good.

- You should model Danah with all the accesories. The other images (i.e., no hood, no spauldron) is to make it easier for you to model the body first.

- The only accesory you need to model separately is the sword. Even though, have this into account when you animate the model, because maybe it will be more realistic having also the spauldron, hood, etc, completely dettached from the main model. It's just an option entirely up to you.

About the animations:

- The maximum of bones that can be used for the skeleton is 72.

- You can only use simple skinning, without muscle deformation systems and the like, otherwise we'll have issues when importing it to our engine. You can use more than one mesh, but all of them must be animated through skinning, not attached to moving bones.

- If you have animation prebafs, please include them to adapt them to the model. The animations we need for the models are:

- Stand
- Walking
- Running
- Chatting
- Greeting
- Attack (with sword)
- Spellcast
- Dying

Once you have your model ready, please post some screenshots of it on this same post.

We appreciate your help on this and we look forward to watching your awesome artwork! =) Any doubt :huh: you have please don’t hesitate asking us!

danah_02.jpg

danah_1.jpg

danah_2.jpg

danah_3.jpg

danah_4.jpg

danah_5.jpg

Last edited:
Level 18
Questions...!

Question No.1;
What format must the model file be...? (Warcraft III uses .mdx file for your information)

The model should be high and low-poly. Don’t worry about the textures, our GFX artist will take care of it =) The important thing is that the model you create matches as much as possible the drawings we show here.

Question No.2;
You mention 'The model should be high and low-poly'... Does that mean contestants must make 2 models of the same design (One is High Poly model and another Low Poly model)...?

The animations we need for the models are:
- Walking
- Running
- Chatting

Question No.3;
Does this mean your team will insert the model's other animations (like Stand, Attack, Spell, Death, etc) by your own...?

Level 3
Hi again guys!

Here your questions answered:

Wandering Soul said:
Question No.1;
What format must the model file be...? (Warcraft III uses .mdx file for your information)

We would prefer the .fbx format, but we can try to adapt the .mdx file to our propietary model viewer if this is easier for you. =)

Wandering Soul said:
Question No.2;
You mention 'The model should be high and low-poly'... Does that mean contestants must make 2 models of the same design (One is High Poly model and another Low Poly model)...?

You only need to send one single model between 2000-3000 poly. We update the first post accordingly.

JesusHipster said:
Question No.3;
Does this mean your team will insert the model's other animations (like Stand, Attack, Spell, Death, etc) by your own...?

If you have animation prefabs, we’ll greatly apreciate if you can include specific animations like spellcast, dye, etc.

JesusHipster said:
Sounds interesting, how about showing some of your game's other models, so we would know what polycount should be?
Also i realy hate those dates: winter is time of different mid year exams..

We’ll use models like these ones:
http://www.3drt.com/3dm/characters/...t/fantasy-warriors-construction-set-shots.htm

About the time frame we think you are right. We’ll stretch the deadline to the 1st March. We've updated the first post. Thanks for telling. =)

Any other questions let us know! =) :goblin_good_job:

Level 16
- Stand
- Walking
- Running
- Chatting
- Greeting
- Attack (with sword)
- Spellcast
- Dye

What is "Dye" animation?

Is it some kind of Crafting spell?

What is to be Dyed?

Is the object Dyed needed to be rendered with the model?

Anyways, i would like to request a Side-View and Back-View image of the concept art, proportional to the concept art.

probably it would be A LOT easier for us to make the model with the images i requested.

because, this is how i do modelling.

178651-albums5891-picture63019.png

Level 3
Allight, sounds more interesting now:p
How about an exact polycount border then? Or you don't suggest any, just to make it fit hah?

Hi JesusHipster, thanks very much for your question :thumbs_up: ... we won't suggest an exact number of polys as between 2000 and 3000 is good enough for us ;)

Last edited:
Level 3
What is "Dye" animation?

Is it some kind of Crafting spell?

What is to be Dyed?

Is the object Dyed needed to be rendered with the model?

Anyways, i would like to request a Side-View and Back-View image of the concept art, proportional to the concept art.

probably it would be A LOT easier for us to make the model with the images i requested.

because, this is how i do modelling.

178651-albums5891-picture63019.png

Hi razor21, my mistake, I meant the death animation (characters dying) :con:

Concerning your request I'm glad to inform you that we'll be able to provide you with those views in mid-December :cool:

Last edited:
Level 3
Huh... we forgot to tell you about other animated models... We´ll need help with some cool characters, so the winner probably will work with Autoloot Games for some aditional models also :)

We've updated the first post with this info ;)

Level 3
Thanks for an information. Also you guys need some more competitors from here, there are maany talented guys, who just don't visit requests tread.

Hi JesusHipster!... we chose the section "request" for launching the contest as per the section description, but maybe you can suggest any other section more appropiate or a section where we can announce it. Certainly we need some more participants from Hiveworkshop... also we know that in this site there are a lot of talented guys because our game programmer is a great fan of this site and told us about it :goblin_yeah: Any suggestion in this matter is highly appreciated :thumbs_up:

Level 3
Hello guys!

We've just launched our official website (http://the-dark-triad.com) and the game intro, where we explain the game story. We've been busy with that and that's the reason we haven´t yet updated the thread with the side and back views of Danah. Rest assured in a few days we´ll provide you with all the concepts so you can start modelling your masterpiece! ;)

Here you are some additional art about Danah:

danah_02.jpg

Last edited:
Level 3
Sorry for the delay guys!

Between New Year Holidays and the workload our GFX artist must complete we couldn't find the right time.

So we've changed the deadline for the contest to 31 March. I think 2 months should be okey, but let me know otherwise.

Let me know also if there's something about the concepts you'd like to be adjusted.

Btw, did you see the screenshots of our game on the first post? Do you like how it's shaping? Any feedback is more than welcome! =)

Level 3
Hi deepstrasz,

We'll post more in-game screenshots in coming weeks.
Regarding the sex scenes, that's related with the Three Dark Wizards "dogmas" to say so. We'll soon post some updates about the game lore and unveil more about what's going on in the Isolated Lands.

Level 25
First of all, let me tell you guys that I love this idea; asking a community for help, that's pretty damn awesome in my opinion, but there's a lot of questions that pop up in my mind while looking over this and I'll try to go over them.

Textures and Maps
I know you stated that you'll be fixing the texture if people don't want to make it themselves, but I'd like to know if you guys use Normal, Specular and Ambient Occlusion maps?
If the game is a "true isometric" game, both the specular and ambient occlusion might be pointless but I haven't understood if this game will follow the rules of the old AD&D games (Plancescape, Baldur's Gate etc) and the newcomer "Project Eternity"; i.e. fully rendered 2D or will this run in real time 3D?

Programs
And here the legal issues start. When I model high poly models I use a lot of programs such as:
Photoshop - For texture work
zBrush - Sculpting
Mudbox - Sometimes for sculpting and baking of maps
Maya - Base Mesh and finish touches
RoadKill - For quick UV cutting
3D Coat - Retopologization
xNormal - For baking normals, speculars and etc.
(there are a lot of other programs I use every now and then, such as nDo2, dDo and what not, there are tons of great software out there).

And this is where stuff gets tricky... Are we allowed to use any program we want or should we restrict it to the program that you/we own..? It sounds obvious that we should use what we own but all those license mentioned above ain't exactly cheap and there could be problem if you don't own the licenses we use to develop our models with (I'm a student so I've a lot of student licensed programs, but I'm just allowed too use a couple of them for commerical use).

And that's about it for the time being. I've no idea how your workflow works at your company (I always work from Low too High and back too Low); not that this is a problem, but it automatically means that I'll be doing the textures (as I prefer working with normals and etc).

Anyway, there are more questions on the back of my mind but these are the "core" stuff I'd like to have answered.

Slightly Off-Topic
If anyone is interested to know how I work, this is my work flow. From base mesh, too sculpt, too retop and finishing touches.
Concept&Views.png
Quick concept and views - did a bunch of color schemes for this guy

WorkFlow.png
Base Mesh: ~5.000 Polys
zBursh High Poly: ~3 Million Polys followed by zBrush Polypaint
Retop in 3D Coat: ~2.200 Polys
Model in UDK with Normal, Specular, Emissive, Light and Ambient Occlusion Maps
adla11_LP_360rotate.gif6.png
attachment.php

adla11_HP_360rotate.gif
attachment.php

Last edited:
i like the idea and am joining, i will update this post for wips ;) i already started
BTW she look like Megan Fox

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 662
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 632
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 597
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 612
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 578
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 634
Last edited:
Level 3
Arowanna92 said:
Textures and Maps
I know you stated that you'll be fixing the texture if people don't want to make it themselves, but I'd like to know if you guys use Normal, Specular and Ambient Occlusion maps?
If the game is a "true isometric" game, both the specular and ambient occlusion might be pointless but I haven't understood if this game will follow the rules of the old AD&D games (Plancescape, Baldur's Gate etc) and the newcomer "Project Eternity"; i.e. fully rendered 2D or will this run in real time 3D?

It's not necessary to add specular, ambient or occlusion layers on your models. We won't have it on our game for animated models.
As you say this is "true isometric", even this is NOT fully rendered 2D BUT Real Time 3D.

Arowanna92 said:
And this is where stuff gets tricky... Are we allowed to use any program we want or should we restrict it to the program that you/we own..?

You can use any software you like no matter if you own it or go to your friend's home and make the model in his house. The important thing for us is receiving the files in .fbx format with the proper animation list.

Arowanna92 said:
And that's about it for the time being. I've no idea how your workflow works at your company (I always work from Low too High and back too Low); not that this is a problem, but it automatically means that I'll be doing the textures (as I prefer working with normals and etc).

Don't worry about this.. Work the way you feel more confortable. Btw, cool monster in your Workflow! =)

Level 3
Manoo said:
And Last question for bone assign to object you use skin (3ds max function, that assign vertex to bone)?

There shouldn't be any compatibility issues for using the skin function.

stonneash said:
so did you like my entery autoloot-games??

I don't think it's wise to be partial here just as a matter of respect to the other participants, but as you are the first one to post your wip let me say it's shaping up really good =)

deepstrasz said:
Well I don't know much about modelling. I can help with music and sounds though.

Hi deepstrasz, thanks for your willingness to collaborate on the project. At the moment we have this position covered. Should it change i'll let you know.

Level 3
Manoo said:
Yea I still got some questions, now about texturing.
1. What kind of warping do you use, maybe symmetry like in world of warcraft (right body side warping same as left side)?
2. Texture size?

1- You can of course use symmetry, as long as you are convinced by the end result. There are some gear elements that will obviously need to be worked out individually. Use whatever technique you feel more confortable with.

2. 1024 x 1024 will do.

Level 3
deepstrasz said:
Hey, is this an MMORPG or a single+/-multiplayer based RPG? I like the latter best, the first usually not having much point for me. And in what language will you be making the game?

TDT:AQ is a single player turn-based RPG that will also have dialogues and a good storyline... at least we'll try! =P

Technically, we would be able to make it multiplayer but this would require more time and money. At the moment we don't have the budget to do this... who knows, if we launch a Kickstarter campaign we could add it as a Stretch Goal, what's clear is that this feature wouldn't be ready on the game release in August.

We aim for the following languages: English, German, Russian, French, Italian and Spanish.

Level 3
Gen Bloodhorn said:
should they make all models from the picture?
1.(no hood) model
2.(no spauldron) model
3.(complete) model

Hi Gen,
The 3. is correct, you should model the complete one. The other images (i.e., no hood, no spauldron) is to make it easier for you to model the body first.

The only accesory you need to model separately is the sword. Even though, have this into account when you animate the model, because maybe it will be more realistic having also the spauldron, hood, etc, completely dettached from the main model. It's just an option entirely up to you.

Level 3
Gen Bloodhorn said:
so then if the hood,spauldron, etc. is a separate file... then there would be a modding community of Triad? i mean you can let people change the models right?

The hood, spauldron etc, must be on the same file, NOT on a separate file. What I meant is that the hood or the spauldron, etc can be modeled as an independent object, but them must be on the same final file and put into place in Danah's model.

About a modding community of Triad, this is a similar issue than the multiplayer option... To give proper mod tools to the players, we would need more money and time to develop them. We don't have so much of that now, but who knows, as deepstrasz says, if things went well we could think of adding mod tools in the future, but it's too early to say now.

Level 3
so...the model needs to have animation to ? to enter the contest?also for the texture it needs to have specular map and normal map?and what is the texture size for the model?and the hood or the cloak needs to be on a different geoset ?i really want to participate ^^

Level 3
hangun said:
so...the model needs to have animation to ? to enter the contest?also for the texture it needs to have specular map and normal map?and what is the texture size for the model?and the hood or the cloak needs to be on a different geoset ?i really want to participate ^^

Yep, the model needs to be animated. You can find the list of animations on the first post. The texture doesn't need to have specular or normal map. For the texture size 1024x1024 is okey.

Taylor_Mouse said:
@Autoloot Games, hey, you mentioned no normal map or occlusion map, yet on your site, the monster that is displayed there, has a normal map, why do you not need one on this model?

What monster are you talking about? Maybe you are talking about a model displayed via the model viewer, but the model viewer is different from the game editor, that's the actual game engine that includes the render. And this one doesn't read normal or occlusion.

The reason our game engine won't "read" any normal or occlusion map is because the camera height won't allow the player to appreciate such level of detail in the model, and this would take our coder a great deal of time to implement. It could be done in the future, let's see.

Status
Not open for further replies.