• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Power of Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
Areas: graphics, balancing

Graphics:
We want you to create various real texture doodads and weapons (real texture attachments) with a cool dark ages look.
Additionally, you could help us to improve some existing model stuff or to create new variations of it.

Balancing:
We want you to design cool spells and balancing systems (without coding, only theoretical stuff) for our 6 players map which is also playable with less than 6 human or computer-controlled players.
You should have some experience on playing challenging PvE maps (especially RPGs) and what's annoying to people.
Furthermore, you should be able to calculate suitable attributes for units, characters, spells etc. considering their number and variations.

Details:
"The Power of Fire" is a multiplayer role play game modificaton for Warcraft 3 The Frozen Throne of which development has gone since 2007 up to now. Modification means in this case that we're using our own data archive which allows us to evade the 4 or 8 MB limit for network games.
Therefore we have nearly unlimited possibilities about files like models or textures. "The Power of Fire" will be released with one single map in its first version which is laid out for 6 human players. Map systems are using the ASL (Advanced Script Library) as their core systems. ASL has been developed by me using vJass since 2008 and provides many core structures and systems for RPG maps.
The map contains role play games typical elements:
* characters could reach level 25
* 9 different character classes each with 15 different abilities (12 normals with 5 levels, 1 default and 2 ultimates for level 12 and level 25)
* shared creep experience and gold drops (custom system, even if you're away from your allies you'll get it)
* creeps do respawn after some time
* grimoire implemented as Warcraft 3 dialog which allows you to choose your favourite spells (4 spells can be shown without using the spell book button)
* capitalizable third person camera view (by using this system)
* talks with NPCs using Warcraft 3 dialogs (possibly composed)
* NPCs with routines
* video sequences which illustrate the linear game story
* different quests for the character group and each single character
* revival system with capitalizable shrines
* landscape with real texture models (mainly from Born2Modificate's model packages)
* exclusive custom icons and models from Hive Workshop and Wc3C.net (particularly high quality stuff)
* equipment system with 5 different equipment slots (equipment items are shown as unit's attachment)
* rucksack system with 32*4 slots (customizable)
* storyline integrated PvP mode with two computer-controlled groups (AOS like)
* arena where you can fight against NPCs
* exciting storyline

Note that "The Power of Fire" or "Die Macht des Feuers" is a German project which WILL DEFINITELY BE TRANSLATED INTO ENGLISH and maybe some other languages. Besides please do also consider that I am very experienced and this project is very professional by now.
If you're interested in contribution and are not skilled in any of the requested areas you're free to contact me. Maybe we'll find something else where you're able to help.
There are just some screen shots of the old map and I won't make the latest ones public until the release.

ASL repository:
https://gitorious.org/advanced-script-library

Web Log:
http://diemachtdesfeuers.wordpress.com/

Last edited:
Level 7
Can anyone just download this huge "advanced script library" to see what it is?
(So far i only saw the link to the API(instructions) for it. )

* grimoire implemented as Warcraft 3 dialog which allows you to choose your favourite spells
What's this feature like?

we're using our own data archive
So are the maps still going to be hosted on battlenet though?

to evade the 4 or 8 MB limit
It's sort of beyond me why you would really ever need more than 8MB for completeing a wc3 map even if you use a lot of custom models or scripts or anything. Theres a lot of stuff out there made to compress map size now.

Last edited:
Level 25
Can anyone just download this huge "advanced script library" to see what it is?
(So far i only saw the link to the API(instructions) for it. )
Using svn by svn co https://vjasssdk.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/vjasssdk/wc3sdk wc3sdk or browsing the code: http://vjasssdk.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/vjasssdk/wc3sdk/. Note that I plan to add all MPQ archive files, too. So the models, textures etc. are part of the core (wc3sdk) which contains the ASL.

What's this feature like?
Since we're using 15 different abilities per character unit, we'll need the spell book ability AND 4 free slots on the usual unit interface.
There's a little trick (described in the ability guide on Wc3C.net) to move a spell between the spell book and the usual unit interface.
We're using a Warcraft dialog (with two pages) which lists all skillable spells where the user can add/remove spells to/from favourites (the usual unit interface) and skill them.

So are the maps still going to be hosted on battlenet though?
I think so. Unfortunately I'm just really sure about playing games by LAN but Battle.net should also work without any problems if all players have the right MPQ/exe.

It's sort of beyond me why you would really ever need more than 8MB for completeing a wc3 map even if you use a lot of custom models or scripts or anything. Theres a lot of stuff out there made to compress map size now.
Ehm, our MPQ archive has about 200 MBs and we're planning to add much more ressources since we don't want to use any Warcraft default files if possible.
Besides you should note that the size will increase much more if we're adding sound files of ALL talks in game (music files do already have a big size).

Level 2
Dialoge talking, hmmm i am also making a big map like that, the story is about nwn (if you played 1-2 you know how they end, first aribeth becomes evil (you can see at motb) and the secund you kill the KoS (motb again) so i got the idea of writing a story, you will save Aribeth, and the secund "hero" will join KoS :) ) but eugh of this xD i just want to say good luck, im impressed =)

Status
Not open for further replies.