• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[MAP] Banshee Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.. this was originally only supposed to be a personal test map, but it turned out too .. interesting not to share. :p

So what this basically is is a third person survival shooter game where you blow up enemy units and collects items to survive.
The goal is to get the highest score possible before dying.
Check out the map for more details.

The 0.03125 time limit is kinda annoying though, and makes the movement and camera a little jumpy.

But anyways, try to enjoy it. :p

EDIT: Beta 2 added. The movement and camera are smoother, I've added a shield ability and also threw in some additional sound effects.

EDIT 2: Beta 3 added. Mainly interface and balance changes.

Attachments

• BansheeStrike_3.jpg
    BansheeStrike_3.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 643
  • BansheeStrike_4.jpg
    BansheeStrike_4.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 465
  • BansheeStrike.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 144
  • BansheeStrikeBeta2.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 156
  • BansheeStrikeBeta3.zip
    4.2 MB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Level 24
FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUU-

This is like better than 95% of the WC3 maps out there already rofl.

You should try to add some sort of evasion mechanism (Barrel roll or something similar OR a supermega plasma shield for 0.3 sec) and maybe different type of weapons.
The camera was kinda "jumpy" like you said D:

Level 3
Pretty cool map, I like it. The only thing to fix is the jumpy camera.

Also I like how you managed to set up the high score thing o_O

Level 7
Wow dude that's absolutely AWESOME. I'm inspired.

The 'jumpy' camera definitely hurts as you said.

• Timer - Every 0.01 seconds of Game Time
Is this the problematic event, being actually limited to .0625?

EDIT: Yeah read up on that problem in other posts. lolwut .0625? Blizzard will probably fix that.

Level 11
For some reason all SC2 trigger acitons involving time measure it in 16ths of a second. So basically, 0.0625 is the smallest interval possible for timers and stuff.

There is a workaround, using a dummy unit casting a spell with a cast time less than 0.0625 which then activates a trigger that starts a second timer. kinda annoyingly inefficient though.

EDIT: Also, map is pretty awesome.

You should try to add some sort of evasion mechanism (Barrel roll or something similar OR a supermega plasma shield for 0.3 sec)
I've been meaning to add some temporary shield effect to the player. I'll see what I can do about it.

I will experiment around a little to try to find a quick solution for the jumpy movement/camera.

Level 22
I was even thinking of making a shooter from the type of my favorite - Raptor (by Apogee) but when the complete game is out and if I have time. Like the Point Defense Drone laser totally reminded me of the Raptor game. This is great, I see it uses WASD keys and this is good. The control is a little hard and the screen is trembling when moving the cursor but overall is good.

Level 9
Nice simple map. I found the best tactic to be, hiding in a corner.

Yeah I hope blizzard will update that timer thing, looks a bit choppy atm.

Btw, highlight that "Esc - Exit the game." line a bit. I didn't notice it at first and for a while I was trying to figure out how I'll get the game shutdown without forcing it.

Attachments

• highscore.PNG
    highscore.PNG
    5.5 KB · Views: 95
Level 7
I was even thinking of making a shooter from the type of my favorite - Raptor (by Apogee) but when the complete game is out and if I have time. Like the Point Defense Drone laser totally reminded me of the Raptor game. This is great, I see it uses WASD keys and this is good. The control is a little hard and the screen is trembling when moving the cursor but overall is good.

+ REP for playing Raptor (by Apogee), best vertical scroller ever made

I would totally be down for teaming up to help if at all possible to make a Raptor mod.

Level 11
Great map, just awesome, though the Thors can really pile up if you don't watch them :p
Unfortunately the Thors don't appear on your mini map :( Kinda defeats the mini map.

My best high score so far is, 12925 pts
:D

Does your shield run down when it gets hit by missiles or is on a timer?

Also, it kind of sucks that missiles home in, can't dodge at all. :(
Is it possible to only make them home a short distance or something?

Level 22
I also wanna add it seems too imba or is it just me. There is no way to survive at some point, as you cant kill them and they shoot you. It seems you cant avoid their missiles, as their missile are attack that if it reaches you damages you. The weapons end at some point and you have nowhere to go.

+ REP for playing Raptor (by Apogee), best vertical scroller ever made

I would totally be down for teaming up to help if at all possible to make a Raptor mod.

Thx. It was so easy to abuse. Level 6 or 7 of Bravo sector had some missiles in the beginning, you take them, cancel mission but the missiles remain, you sell them until you get millions, then you can do all lol. Anyway, I would do such thing when the game is released but if someone is eager to start it before me, I won't call it stealing idea or anything, cause Im not pro mapmaker and if i will have time, as I have a city map to make as well, in sc2.

Last edited:
If you expected to survive, I'm sorry to disappoint you. Though, the red ones might be too powerful.

Does your shield run down when it gets hit by missiles or is on a timer?
The shield is on a timer at the moment, and is likely to stay that way.

Is it possible to only make them home a short distance or something?
I haven't really dived into the data editor yet, but I believe it's possible.

In other news; I've just updated the minimap to display enemy units (red dots) and your current rotation (green arrow) :D

Attachments

• Minimap.jpg
    Minimap.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 139
Level 22
This is driving me crazy. How can you make it play an imported music as the main. You have some string Music_Main in the list of play music, something that I dont. How did you make it?

Also could you show your arrow system (just for movement and rotation, not for attack) based on a map-placed unit, cause I would love to use that system but it has many variables not belonging to the keys and I would like the Global variable based on an existing unit on the map.

It's not that complicated actually.
What I did after importing my new music file was creating a new sound in the data editor based on "MUSIC", named it Music_Main and changed its Sound Assets to play my imported music file. I then played the sound via the trigger editor.

For the movement system, check out the map I've attached here. It contains the movement system only.

Attachments

• BansheeStrike_MovementSystem.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 63
Level 22
Omg I didnt see the Sounds tab, cause data is scattered in so many places, it is easy ofc. Thanks for the music instrucs as well as the controls. You perfectly helped as usual ;)
reputation_pos.gif

I didnt ask for the attack because I want to make it possible to switch between weapons if more are added, but I'll see if I can do it myself.

Level 4
how i make it work :eek:?

edit: doesnt matter i only had to load it in starcraft 2.exe :p

its a cool game took me a while to relise that it was using the mouse to steer :p
its rather anoying how its so jerky though o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.