• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Learn to C++ (adapted from vJASS Tutorials)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Split up a few lessons and added several new lessons because I saw some holes in the information.

This first week hammers you hard on variables, calling functions, and integers.

I have not adapted week 1's vJASS project yet : (.

If people like this, I can start working at adapting all of the first 3 weeks and we can maybe expand it out to encompass quite a bit of C++ and general programming. I'm not saying I'll be the one to expand it, but at the very least I can adapt the material that's already been done.

Attachments

• week 1.7z
    6 KB · Views: 65

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Is this tutorial about programming as taught in the university in the first weeks ?
Or what do the weeks refer to ?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Alright, had a quick look on the first lessons, looks very good, I learned a lot, I am amazed.

Do I understand right that a statement is like creating a variable in the variable creator ?
Example:
int Temp_Integer;
would create an integer variable I could use anywhere ?

I really hope you extend it!

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Nice ^^

Do you have a recommendation for a C++ compiler one can use for these lessons and exercises ?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I recommend MSVC Community 2015. Free and the compiler is seems pretty good. Only problem is that you need to deal with the Windows application overhead, which is useful to know about mind you.

For linux, you can use GNU with Gedit or Eclipse pretty easily.
G++ (GCC) is the compiler, GNU is "an extensive collection of computer software that can be used to build a Unix-like operating system".

Last edited:
Level 15
I personally use Atom as a text editor for most of my programming, then use GCC(g++) or a command line compiler. It's lightweight and has all of the features I need with none of the bloat.

Perhaps it would be useful to compile a list of recommended IDEs/Editors/Compilers and sticky it in this section? I'm sure new programmers would appreciate it.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Ok, it doesn't seem like this has enough interest to continue it. I'll likely do the basic vJASS tutorial conversions and end it there : ). 2 more weeks of content.
Great to hear! I look forward for it, no matter whether Jass, vJass or C++
will learning this help me in jass? :p I would love to learn both but its just confusing when you are starting lol ill try to do my best tho.
I can only speak for myself, but it helped me to understand how a Jass function is built. It won't give you exactly what is going on in Jass, some things are severe different, but it is surely an advantage if you do not want to read tons of text.

Level 11
Ok, it doesn't seem like this has enough interest to continue it.

If it influences your decision, I am interested in it.
My college retired C++ and replaced it with Visual Basic as the focus for Intro to Software Development.
As I was looking for a possible internship for the summer, every place requires C or C++ experience.
=/ Public education is amazing.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The ideas behind C++ are quite simple. Once you remember the syntax you can easily program with it.

What makes a good C++ programmer is not knowing C++, but knowing how to program. Are the interfaces you use clear and well defined? Do you appropriately comment your code? When do you define a class or not? Which class pattern should you use for a certain functionality? All questions that good programmers need to know how to answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.