• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blender: How difficult would it be to program a...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Hello,

I myself have no clue about programming, scripts and such,
but I wondered, how difficult would it be for an experienced coder/programmer to create a tool/plugin for Blender that supports the export of .3ds/.obj or even .blend to .mdx and/or .mdl ?

It's something that is, in my opinion, incredible useful, but beside an ancient script that was made years ago and which is not longer compatible with the newest version, there seems to be no tool/plugin like this.

What's the difficulty of creating such a plugin/tool
and is there any hope for the community that such a tool/plugin will be created one day ?

Level 29
Probably not that hard, but I don't see the point. A couple of years ago, sure. Now? Use NeoDex.
If you want to model with Blender, export to FBX, import to 3ds Max / Gmax, and export to MDX from there.

On a side note, all of the old exporters pretty much only supported geosets, and maybe materials.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

A couple of years ago, sure. Now? Use NeoDex.
^This is exactly the point.
As far as I know, I myself and others use Blender since it is registry-free and simply to learn due to a high amount of tutorials on the Internet.

People who don't want to register anywhere, what about them ? They are dependent on kind people having Gmax.

There is ( was) a big discussion about Gmax vs. Blender some time ago on Hive, so I don't start again.

I mean, it is not that only one or another use Blender, many do. If there were support of direct export/import into Warcraft it would be surely an advantage, even if it were only geosets and materials, since animations can be done in Mdlvis 'easily'.

Level 29
^This is exactly the point.
As far as I know, I myself and others use Blender since it is registry-free and simply to learn due to a high amount of tutorials on the Internet.

People who don't want to register anywhere, what about them ? They are dependent on kind people having Gmax.

There is ( was) a big discussion about Gmax vs. Blender some time ago on Hive, so I don't start again.

I mean, it is not that only one or another use Blender, many do. If there were support of direct export/import into Warcraft it would be surely an advantage, even if it were only geosets and materials, since animations can be done in Mdlvis 'easily'.

Sure, it would be an advantage, for the whole ~2 people that still mod WC3 and use Blender.
I don't think anyone would bother making an exporter for practically no one. I know I won't.

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Sure, one would have to create a poll or ask around to see whether it is incredible useful for a big number of people.

It is not that none uses Blender.. and if you say it is not that complicated to make an exporter for the geosets, only the geosets, then it would surely be an advantage not only for the modders using Blender, but also to catch more people on modding since it is much more comfortable to use a registry-free tool.

Sure, it would be an advantage, for the whole ~2 people that still mod WC3 and use Blender.
I don't think anyone would bother making an exporter for practically no one. I know I won't.

I am pretty sure that is not much people using blender in warcraft modding :V but well :p..... but those kind of people still exist anyway

Edit: Whoops? I accidentally Necroposted?

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Yeah you did ;)

I would profit, I think you would also, Hayate ?
Chen uses Blender, Aple and Zwiebelchen showed interest in the past threads.

It is not that it would be a waste of time to create such a tool,
but it seems hoping and waiting for it is a futile attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.