• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #5: Science Fiction - Poll

Your vote for this contest goes to...?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
the%20hive%20workshop.png

hero.png
contest.png

number.png
5.png

poll.png

160036-albums4747-picture51401.jpg

Science Fiction
Contestants were required to create a Hero that comes from the futuristic worlds. Such a world is translated, but not limited to, with the presence of advanced technology, robotics and/or improved weaponry.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

Entry (Contest) Rules
• No submission may violate the Hiveworkshop Rules and Spells Rules.
• Teams are not allowed; the entire hero must be made by a single user. However, you're able to use any resources publicly available in THW database, except for spells.
• The hero must have a total of 4 skills. You can use any combination, all passive, all active, three active and one passive, anything, as long as it offers a creative approach to the play style. However, the three of them must be regular, while one of them must be an ultimate, gained at level 6, just like default Warcraft III.
• The spells can be made using GUI, JASS, vJASS, Zinc or just significant object editor work. One that is not familiar with all of the listed languages cannot be appointed as a judge.
• All spells must have been made after the start of this contest; no previous work is allowed.
• You are allowed to use any system, as long as it does enhance the functionality of the spell and it is bug free. For questions regarding this subject, feel free to ask within this thread whether the said system is useable.
• You're allowed only one submission.
• Any submission must follow a Work in Progress (WiP), before it is published and labelled as the final piece.

Poll (Voting) Rules
• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
• You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
• You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts none of the voters votes will count in the final result.
• You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and lose reputation points, and can be possibly infracted.

prizes.png

First Place - 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon
Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

entries.png

Lord_Earthfire's Entry
glass-ping's Entry
The_Reborn_Devil's Entry
Xiliger's Entry
nerovesper's Entry
-Kobas-'s Entry
mckill2009's Entry
Arti3DPlayer's Entry

judges.png

baassee
Dirac

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Concept
How interesting is the hero to play with?/10

Coding
Is the hero bug and lag free? How well was the coding executed?/10

Synergy
How well do the abilities work with each other? Do they fit with the theme of the hero?/10

Balance
How balanced the hero is? Is it extremely weak to own or extremely hard to face?/10

Aesthetics
How good-looking the hero is? How well their appearance is fitting with the icons? Are the tooltips self-explanatory?/5
  • 70 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 30 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

disclaimer.png

Inviting your friends to vote for you, bribing random members with reputation points and/or cheating otherwise with the vB Poll System will result in disqualification, black listing from future contests, deduction of reputation points and, in severe cases, an infraction.

This includes, but is not limited to, sending PMs out to various users, getting other people to send those PMs, advertising this contest on other sites with the intention to gain more votes (whether it is explicitly stated or not), and so on. If you are suspected of cheating, the staff will notify you and interrogate you (if necessary) over PMs.​

Level 14
Hmm... it's a hard choice
Edit: Seems like nerovesper is the best effect-efficient,balanced and efforted hero i've seen on the contest,i vote for his entry

Level 14
RULE BREAK REPORT!
Arti3Dplayer voted for his own submission (this may lead to disqualification as said in the rules)

Level 14
Maybe the host will still let him participate in the contest and not disqualify him, but exclude his own vote.
Although he would have to be really nice and in a good mood.

though of that too,he is a new user,so we are expected to cut him some slack,anyway i was just reporting because i saw it
but of course,he (this applies to everybody who joins contests) must read the rules before doing stuff

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

People seem to be extremely keen on disqualifying people - just remember to exclude the vote in the final result. The rule is more so in place to prevent unnecessary work, and to keep people from multi-account voting.

Also, I voted for my brother because I'm biased and corrupt and bribed and whatnot. Shoot me.

Amn

Amn

Level 2
judges ? why my hero is not in the entries after all my hard work for this?

Level 30
No need to shout that out, Xian. He will most likely not be disqualified, but his vote won't be counted. After all, he is a new user, and he is not that known to the rules, or vice verse.

Amn, you evaded the main submission rule: every user has to post at least one WiP before the deadline. I am quite sure that baassee told you that already.

Level 14
No need to shout that out, Xian. He will most likely not be disqualified, but his vote won't be counted. After all, he is a new user, and he is not that known to the rules, or vice verse.

Amn, you evaded the main submission rule: every user has to post at least one WiP before the deadline. I am quite sure that baassee told you that already.

Yes,i'm pretty sure his vote will not be counted,as for Amn,maybe you can post your last minute WiP here so that people can see it,but if you didn't make a last minute WiP,then your work will be not a submission (just a suggestion to give Amn a chance)

Level 30
It's the edge he got over a while ago; there is no going back now. He can easily remove tooltips, make an error or two in triggers and delete two spells.

Rules are not something that should be just overseen. They are there, and not following them results in these situations.

Amn

Amn

Level 2
you evaded the main submission rule: every user has to post at least one WiP before the deadline. I am quite sure that baassee told you that already.
Hi people.
Man, i did post screenshots of my work in progress, i read the rules many times and i put the screenshots just for that wip reason

Yes it's the same post, but screenshots are some hours old
i cant help it if i did it too fast the dead line was only 1 day ahead

are we ok now? maybe u need me to prove it's my work on some other way? im ok with that

Level 30
The problem is that you can't prove it now. You just appeared and posted a submission out of nowhere, in one post. Not allowed.

If you still think that you've done everything right, go and bother Pharaoh_ about it. He is the host of this contest and the Arena Moderator. I will enjoy watching you burn when you realize that you complain about rules that everyone else are good with.

Level 14
why? because i can?
im deleting my entry, this sucks, now i know why there's only 1 good map maker participating on this, the rest are still extremely inexperienced.

old times on wc3c are over, this was a mistake.

Wow... you seriously think that everyone else who submitted are inexperienced?
We are the ones helping you but you complain too much

Level 30
You know what? Since you want to argue about clear facts, I guess you need some clarification.
In case you haven't knew, I am around the Arena in nearly every competetion, creating polls and results, hosting contests, participating and judging. Judges in this contest have NOTHING to do with you, so you can just cry somewhere else. That location is either Host of the contest's profile, or the Arena Moderator's profile. You got lucky, it's the same person.

And after all, you have dignity to say we're wronged, rather than saying "I'm sorry"?
I'm here for nearly three years, and everyone knows me. Why are you insulting us?

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 14
You know what? Since you're that retarded to argue about clear facts, I guess you are the one who has brain penalty.
In case you haven't knew, I am around the Arena in nearly every competetion, creating polls and results, hosting contests, participating and judging. Judges in this contest have NOTHING to do with you, so you can just cry somewhere else. That location is either Host of the contest's profile, or the Arena Moderator's profile. You got lucky, it's the same person.

And after all, you have dignity to say we're wronged, rather than saying "I'm sorry"?
I'm here for nearly three years, and everyone knows me. Who are you? Why are you insulting us?

^all this, Amn,i think you need to learn some respect for users with higher priority,calling somebody who has 600+ rep a kid is totally disrespectful,even though he/she ain't a judge doesn't mean you have the right to call him/her a kid
Baseee already told you that you haven't followed the rules on this post,i guess that's your karma for having a Tl;dr

Also... you've been here for what, 3 days? you're talking to someone who's here 2+ years, even i'm here for almost 1 year

1) No one is disqualified, Arti3DPlayer's vote won't be kept in mind. For Amn's case, have a look at 3).

2) Judges can't vote and I dislike the fact that a judge should have the option to vote visibly on the poll. You bear most of the power to nominate a winner in this contest, what will your vote change? The winner will be obvious when your results are carried out. Finally, the final result depends on the judge's review and the public poll's: you already belong to the first category.

3) Amn's entry will count, simply because it was posted before the deadline. Screenshots along with a map that is not updated is not against the rules, he could simply state "in case I don't finish my hero, here's a wip and/or my final entry"; that wouldn't make it different. So, I revive his deleted message and ask an administrator to add him in the poll.

Level 14
3) Amn's entry will count, simply because it was posted before the deadline. Screenshots along with a map that is not updated is not against the rules, he could simply state "in case I don't finish my hero, here's a wip and/or my final entry"; that wouldn't make it different. So, I revive his deleted message and ask an administrator to add him in the poll.

but Pharaoh_,one problem,he already deleted his WiP post...
I guess he will have to put it here or in the contest thread

Level 14
I revived his deleted message, since I wouldn't want it to evolve into another arena war.

You can do that?! Wow! arena mods are powerful!
as for his submission,i can say "good job" though the bad thing is he didn't post the abilities so you have to download the map just to see PowPow's abilities
Also Pharaoh_,can you like, add him in the poll...

Level 14
Did you actually read the post you've quoted Xian? :D
I have to ask an administrator, I'm not as powerful as you think, hehe!
:D LOL didn't see that one, i was talking too much tl;dr that i tl;dr'ed myself! XD
my vote will be probably for myself (joke XD)...Ima test the entries tonight but seems nerovesper's & -Kobs- entry is a good choice...
Nerovesper and -Kobas-'s are the best,but Lord_Earthfire's was epic... hmm....

Amn

Amn

Level 2
Amn's entry will count, simply because it was posted before the deadline. Screenshots along with a map that is not updated is not against the rules, he could simply state "in case I don't finish my hero, here's a wip and/or my final entry"; that wouldn't make it different. So, I revive his deleted message and ask an administrator to add him in the poll.

my bad, i never rage like an idiot -like i did- it's just that after all my effort and dedication i found out i didnt even participate and received direct negatives from everyone, which i realized some were offensive.
i dont care losing the contest i care how i couldnt apply for it. and it doesn't matter anymore, u dont need to do that.

i did my hero as best as i could before the deadline wasting too much time and someone told me to go cry somewhere else when i tried to make things right.
and you sir really understood the situation and u acted justly after all my childish rage. I apologize.

my bad, i never rage like an idiot -like i did- it's just that after all my effort and dedication i found out i didnt even participate and received direct negatives from everyone, which i realized some were offensive.
i dont care losing the contest i care how i couldnt apply for it. and it doesn't matter anymore, u dont need to do that.

i did my hero as best as i could before the deadline wasting too much time and someone told me to go cry somewhere else when i tried to make things right.
and you sir really understood the situation and u acted justly after all my childish rage. I apologize.

This post is really precious. The fact that you admitted all that makes you more mature than you think. Bravo for that and yes, you will be counted on the poll no matter what.

Level 30

It's good to know that you admit and regret for what you said. There are (dire) times when people just look like they are not going anywhere, and the moments when it appears that your effort is gone to waste.

Now I hope that your entry will get approved, but please read the rules next time more carefully.

Also, Pharaoh_, thanks for editing my post. I was in blind rage that someone just misplaced several years of hard work on the Hive.

Level 29
Well guys here's my brief review even though Im not a judge :p...

Lord_Earthfire:
The hero model & icons are awesome but the abilities not so, imo, coz it really cant target organic units, therefore
it is weak, Take-over for example ability doesnt need to have cooldowns as it simply rides to another machine and I
expect it to include flying units, but it cant...
The only thing I dont like about the triggers is the Indexer, you should have used Bribes/Hanky's indexing system
OR all into hashtables, and you should have saved some hash instance into a variable then load it that way, sample,
the "Load 8 of Tempinteger1" spamed 5 times, which is slow...

Rating: 7.5/10

Xiliger's:
Hero & icons is fair, abilities are good, I dont like the Rocket Shot mainly coz it would be better going into a straight line (imo)...
I like the Combustion Current & Ion Cannon idea although the other condition of the CC should be done in the else part, coz the 3 conditions
will be enumerated every time a spell is launched thus slowing it slightly...
FCA on the other hand, needs to be more efficient, sample, you should have included in the BoolExp if unit is not dead & instead of
IsUnitAlly, use IsUnitEnemy...
"==false" should be "if not"

Rating: 9/10

nerovesper:
Awesome!, but I dont like the name 'Millennium Force' but the hero is quite good, I like the idea of effects...
I found mistakes though, like the XT Vortex it says, 'pulling them to the center', but the spell actually push them
from the center, like a knockback...
It's always best to save keyID's (LastCreatedUnit/Picked unit, and alike) into a variable and you dont need to use arrays for your
variables unless its a must, just make them separate coz it's easier...
One hashtable is enough for all the spells...

Rating: 9/10

glass-ping:
Hero is OK, icons fair, description lacks info and really bad, sample Energy Grenate: "The gun knock back for 300 unit and stun for 3 second."
It also knocks back the hero, not enemy units (or is it the way it is?), and there are mispelled words too...
As for the triggers, its really bad, I will just mention tons of leaks, Position of *something* always leak, save it in a variable then remove it...
Shell ability doesnt work either if enemy has no buff, also it shoudlnt have mana requirement if it can produce mana ;)...

Rating: 4/10

Arti3DPlayer:
Fair Hero, icons/description ok, you should have made a spell for the gun at his back...
The only think I like is the Force Field effect but I guess it's an imported thing, so it doesnt matter :)...
Mechanical dispersal doesnt really charge in less than 200 Aoe...
The indexing is really bad, you should have considered using Bribe's UnitINdexer or Hanky's dynamic indexing, why, we already explained
in the other thread...
Using/changing custom values w/o using a UnitIndexer system is really bad coz it will conflict things, making a spell that uses UI non-MUI...
There are tons of leaks as well, Position of *something* always leak...

Rating: 4.5/10

The_Reborn_Devil's:
Not complete, but could be awesome, DISBTN is missing, Force Grip has no description...the only complete I see is Force Jump...
Force Cataclysm has no effect and even though the Jedi is on the air, he's still targeted as ground...
These days, RegisterPlayerUnitEvent and SpellEffectEvent libraries is a MUST consideration rather than Creating trigger & call TriggerRegisterblahhh
all the time ;)...
An Allocator that reqiures something Imo is really not good, it's supposed to be independent :)...
"GetWidgetLife(u) <= 0.405" >>> "not IsUnitType(UNIT, UNIT_TYPE_DEAD)"
Spell structs is recommended to be private...

Rating: 3.5/10

-Kobas-'s:
Kids are really cool, and here's the proof, model/icons and description is well polished, the spells I like is Inner Power & Leap of Thunder,
(LoT looks like sperms XD)...Stormstrike has a minor bug though, when cast, the unit is damaged before the lightning appear, it should have been
after then last lightning...
You should use TimerUtils rather than destroying timers and if you use structs, you should do it in a 'struct way', not in a hashtable way...
sample: call SaveUnitHandle(HASH, id, 0, GetTriggerUnit()) >>> set this.u = GetTriggerUnit()..
And you are creating Trigger and registering the death of the unit 'e003' for every DoLoop execution, which is really bad, create 1 trigger instead then
if the unittype is dead, the 'e003' then execute your CleanUp code...btw you dont need to destroy the trigger...

Rating: 9.1/10 (could be 9.9 if it's more efficient)

I vote for -Kobas-

EDT:
Oh S*** I didn't noticed Amn's Entry is added, my bad, Ima do it also...

Level 22
Hoho, arguing is fun.

mckill2009 said:
DISBTN is missing
Not exactly. DISBTN is there, but wc3 won't use it, and I'm too lazy to find out why. :>

mckill2009 said:
Force Grip has no description...the only complete I see is Force Jump...
Yeah, I had to replace a spell with the Force Grip spell in a rush due to the extreme lack of good, usable star wars models here, and yes, Force Jump is the only entirely complete spell, but the ultimate and the Force Grip spells were almost complete :>

mckill2009 said:
Force Cataclysm has no effect
Yeah, it wasn't finished. It was almost done though, as I only needed to add a little bit more code to make it push units around.

mckill2009 said:
These days, RegisterPlayerUnitEvent and SpellEffectEvent libraries is a MUST consideration rather than Creating trigger & call TriggerRegisterblahhh
all the time ;)...
Lolno :D

mckill2009 said:
An Allocator that reqiures something Imo is really not good, it's supposed to be independent :)..
It's called reusing code. It's way better to make a library use one common library, than to include the library in every other library. It's why we even use libraries.

mckill2009 said:
"GetWidgetLife(u) <= 0.405" >>> "not IsUnitType(UNIT, UNIT_TYPE_DEAD)"
Hoho, you wish. Doesn't work that way.

mckill2009 said:
Spell structs is recommended to be private
Not if they are supposed to be accessible from other libraries or scopes.

Level 13
nerovesper:
Awesome!, but I dont like the name 'Millennium Force' but the hero is quite good, I like the idea of effects...
I found mistakes though, like the XT Vortex it says, 'pulling them to the center', but the spell actually push them
from the center, like a knockback...
It's always best to save keyID's (LastCreatedUnit/Picked unit, and alike) into a variable and you dont need to use arrays for your
variables unless its a must, just make them separate coz it's easier...
One hashtable is enough for all the spells...

Uh, I don't believe I was mistaken with my description. XT Vortex has 2 effects. You must have used it while Polarity Switch was turned on that'y why it knocksback. All my abilities have 2 effects that can be change by Polarity Switch. Unfortunately though on saving KeyID's through GUI Hashtables, whenever I look for variables it won't show me any variables. I thought it was some kind of glitch or bug on the WE. at ung, one hashtable thing... yah, I just noticed. T_T

Thanks for this knowledge, the review, and the time as well to for checking all our submissions.
May God bless you. ^_^

Last edited:
Level 10
Hoho, arguing is fun.

Oh, that's so true xD

Take-over for example ability doesnt need to have cooldowns as it simply rides to another machine and I expect it to include flying units, but it cant...

I had to make a decision here. When i would add flying units into the targeting, then i would risk to cause bugs when the mechanical unit dies above unwalkable ground or above trees (in which situations the hero could get stuck). I added the cooldown to prevent a mass death/abuse of enemy mechanical units, since when the occupied mechanical unit dies, you could easiely ride another one until this one dies. I added it just against this abuse, so you could at maximum occupie 2 vehicles at once without retreating for a time.

The only thing I dont like about the triggers is the Indexer, you should have used Bribes/Hanky's indexing system
OR all into hashtables, and you should have saved some hash instance into a variable then load it that way, sample,
the "Load 8 of Tempinteger1" spamed 5 times, which is slow...
Yes, i searched too late for indexer templates, when i already completed 2 spells with my selfwriten one and had only 1 day left :D, i'm quite stubborn to stick just to selfwriten scripts xD

LOL! same here. Lord_Earthfire's was cool. I especially liked the drones. xD

Unfortunately though... I don't find riding a vehicle and putting on a sticky bomb on a vehicle "Science Fiction" or was I mistaken that the theme was different?

I thought that the definition of a distant future is quite open and i believe that old methods do not become unusual in the future. I almost believe that the drones are saving my hero in this contest, especially since it was quite frustrating to come to a method how the drones fly towards their target, they had sometimes "fail" flying courves, which never collides with their target, because they were moving away (the problem of the 0 to 360 jump along the x coordinate was very annoying here) :3

Thanks for the review of my hero, and thanks to the future reviewer, i always appreciate feedback, especially since it's my first serious entry on the hive (i posted a map at the very beginning of my editor experiences once in the developement but luckily it has sunk into the deeps of the forums :) )

Status
Not open for further replies.