• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Rune Scroll Pack

This pack contains 24 icons of the norse elder futhark.
The futhark is the runic alphabet of the vikings. Its named after the first 6 runes (ᚠᚢᚦᚨᚱᚲ).
Due its north-european origin, the futhark have runes for sounds the latin alphabet does not contain. For example, the vikings had runes for W, J, EI, TH and NG, while the Latin alphabet contained none of these (W is a doubled V (or U), J was written as I).
In the ancient world, writing was a rare ability and the few how were able to, were considered magicians. Each of the runes has its own meaning, often giving a clue how it developed. Often the Rune itself is taken as this word an written down instead od it, making it difficult to understend and translate old runestones.

In this pack, the runes are written on scrolls to unleash their power if the owner wants to. But he can also choose to take the runes and write a word with them to get access to even greater magic.

Keywords:
Rune, Futhark, Scroll, Norse, Viking, Alphabet, Letter
Reviews
16:11, 28th Feb 2010 General Frank: Impressive pack. Extremely good execute and cleverly done. Approved and star-rated.

M

16:11, 28th Feb 2010
General Frank:

Impressive pack. Extremely good execute and cleverly done.
Approved and star-rated.

Level 4
Your rune icons are perfect, good job mon ;)

Some of these viking runes are same as the old hungarian runes.

As a matter of curiosity, that's the old hungarian/transylvanian alphabet(the characters are turned over, because our ancestors are wrote from the right way to the left):

hunrune.jpg

Last edited:
Level 1
It's a awesome pack! But the size is a bit... :\ Large... Each icon is 17kbs, and ends up to be quite large together... Could you look into compressing them slightly??

Level 6
The size of the icon was no problem to me, but the icons did good job for me. Thanks, man. Credits given, 5/5