• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Since Windows 10 release is right around the corner...

So, what say you?

Excited for Windows 10?
Not going to make the upgrade?
Already have your FREE copy reserved?
Pessimistic about it?

Tell me how you feel!

Don't get me wrong, I love Win 8.1 (so so so much better than 8) but I personally can't wait for the sexy sweet Directx12 and the implementations they have coming with it along with it's features to Xbox One. Gonna be a sweet future for gaming!

Level 25
Microsoft is kind of notorious for releasing one or two bad/mediocre versions before giving us a good one. I have 10 reserved, but I'm not going in with high expectations for everything to work right off the bat.

Also, I don't get why they didn't just call it Windows 9. I thought it was a virus at first when the prompt came up in taskbar since it jumped a version number.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
I'm actually quite looking forward to trying it out. I don't mind Windows 8.1 too much, but something much closer to 7 would be nice.

However, my laptop isn't actually allowing me to reserve, which is quite confusing given that I meet the requirements to install it... It's ready to go on one of my desktop boxes, though.

Deleted member 242951

D

Deleted member 242951

I reallly realllllly miss the windows 7 transparency effect...Why did microsoft remove it? Some people say it makes win 8 and the successors look smart OS but that is not the truth depending on how tend 2 view the OS.

Windows 10's start menu is definitely better also the startup speed of 8, 8.1 and 10 are so fast that 7 looks like a turtle before a running buggati....

Level 22
Also, I don't get why they didn't just call it Windows 9. I thought it was a virus at first when the prompt came up in taskbar since it jumped a version number.

I'm surprised that is bothering you considering this
Bill-Gates-Count-to-10-Windows-Meme1.jpg

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Windows 8 sucked. No idea if windows 9 is good, but i dont think windows 10 is any different.

What if I told you that there is not windows 9. They skipped that number because reasons.

OT:
I will upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 since it's free. But I am not exactly hyped about it I just see it as a performance increase.

Windows is definitely shaping up. Even though many people disliked Windows 8, it was a step in a decent direction. And finally, a free upgrade. And auto-updates. Many people criticize Windows 10 for having required updates, but I don't understand the issue. It is stupid that so many people experience issues for their inability to move on with software, or for their laziness to turn on a download.

Windows is definitely shaping up, and their laptops (at least some Samsung ones) have come to be a bit more competitive with the mac laptops in recent years (strictly software-wise, I'm not talking about overpriced apple hardware and limited customization). The style/goals of Windows 10 combined with the fact that they finally grew balls and dropped security support for XP means that the OS has a pretty promising future. :)

Level 11
Yeah the free upgrade was a great Idea on Microsoft's part... I think They are trying to drop Windows 7 support much quicker than they did XP so their target is Windows 7 users over Windows 8.1. Windows 8 gave people such a bad taste in the mouth that they are reluctant to leave 7 - That's why Microsoft makes the emphasis on Win10 looking like windows 7.

Plus they are hoping to get most of the pirated OS's upgraded to Windows 10 (Especially considering how China has like 60% of their PC's with a Pirated OS or something ridiculous like that).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Windows is definitely shaping up. Even though many people disliked Windows 8, it was a step in a decent direction. And finally, a free upgrade. And auto-updates. Many people criticize Windows 10 for having required updates, but I don't understand the issue. It is stupid that so many people experience issues for their inability to move on with software, or for their laziness to turn on a download.

This scenario explains why...

Right so to win I just need to execute one perfectly timed attack. Wait for it... WAIT FOR...
*Game minimizes*
WHAT THE ****!
*Restart your computer to finish installing important updates*
*Maximizes game*
"YOU ARE DEAD"

Or this...

This is the most important game of the season, if I lose now I will lose everything. Must stay focuses and...
WHAT THE ****!
*Windows is shutting down*
*Installing updates*

It would be fine if they do not force the restart and actually let you choose when to restart.

Plus they are hoping to get most of the pirated OS's upgraded to Windows 10 (Especially considering how China has like 60% of their PC's with a Pirated OS or something ridiculous like that).
It was a lie that pirates would get it for free. They still need to pay for a licence.

Level 11
I have a feeling it'll update when you it goes to sleep or you shutdown "power it off". Generally that's how the Xbox One auto-updates, when it's turned "off". Otherwise it will force you to update as soon as you turn the system on.

If you check your Bandwith usage on the Xbox One, even when you are not home and the system is indeed turned off, it's still using several MB's worth of data each hour. I'm wondering if it does this on a wireless connection, but I know it does when it's wired.

@DSG: Microsoft would be stupid to do that. I imagine they'll do a similar implementation to xbox one (as PublishedShadow mentioned) or OS X (background downloaders, and they'll ask you when you want to restart. You can delay it as long as you want, but it'll automatically apply the update the next time you turn on/restart your computer).

And in OS X, updates can be paused if they are done at an inconvenient time. So IMO, it is a good feature all-around. I prefer auto-updates rather than having dialogs thrown in my face (e.g. java, lol). Half the time, those dialogs interrupt a game or something important. I remember when Norton AV used to pop up--it would mess up the mouse sensitivity in WoW and I would have to reload the game. :( I'm not sure if auto-updates will apply to software on your computer, but I hope it does. It'll be better on both the dev-side and the user-side.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
If you check your Bandwith usage on the Xbox One, even when you are not home and the system is indeed turned off, it's still using several MB's worth of data each hour. I'm wondering if it does this on a wireless connection, but I know it does when it's wired.
If it is off it uses no data as something that is off cannot use data. The fact is most modern consoles (like phones) do not have an off and instead only a "standby" mode. Hence why you unplug them (or turn off the wall socket).

Microsoft would be stupid to do that.
To do that? They have done that already... Welcome to Windows 7. Hence why people often turned off automatic updates so they can manually install them when convenient to them.

Also the argument was aimed at commercial users where any form of system update results in down time. This is why Blizzard has 1-6 hour maintenance every week as on top of backups and software updates, they also can do OS updates. 24/7 systems need completely different design, specifically supporting live updates (swapping running program code) which has other security implications and certainly alters system design.

Ah good point, I didn't think of commercial users. And upon reading further into it, it seems like it is difficult to disable it. That is lame. Even on OS X it is easy to disable (and usually osx is the more restrictive OS).

Well I hope they have an option to disable it when it goes live. Otherwise I agree with your point--it is problematic.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
In theory an OS could be designed such that it never needs to restart. All components of it should be able to be changed and updated as the system is in use. The problem is keeping the state during the migration in a way transparent to all processes. Most commonly this is done by phasing, where existing processes keep using old components while all new processes swap to the new components.

Sadly I doubt Windows 10 will adopt anything as sophisticated as that.

Level 28
I thought it was a virus at first when the prompt came up in taskbar since it jumped a version number.

Because the windows update algorithm looks for the first digit, which is 9 (yes) but this also goes for 98 and 95 (ouch) so it looks for windows 95/98 updates.

As for me, I'm not going to bother with win10.
I'll acqiure my personal license I get for free from upgrading but that's that.
Instead I'm going to work on LinuxMint since it's an awesome linux distro, widely available and extremely upnp.

Level 16
I watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XjCA9q7WsQ

It appears (at least for the technical preview) that Microsoft has the right to collect information about what applications you run, how long you run them for, collect speech information, collect file information and worst of all, potentially log all text input from the computer.

Of course this info won't be sold or probably looked at, but as a privacy advocate, I have to say I'm disgusted at how they're treating the privacy of their users. None of the information they're collecting is any of their business in my opinion. The policy is still online at Microsoft's website, feel free to take a look: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-privacy-statement

One of the main reasons I moved away from Google products was their privacy violations. Ironically enough, Microsoft were the ones that sued Google on multiple accounts for several privacy violations. Reading Microsoft's privacy policy now makes me upset.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I watched this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XjCA9q7WsQ

It appears (at least for the technical preview) that Microsoft has the right to collect information about what applications you run, how long you run them for, collect speech information, collect file information and worst of all, potentially log all text input from the computer.

Of course this info won't be sold or probably looked at, but as a privacy advocate, I have to say I'm disgusted at how they're treating the privacy of their users. None of the information they're collecting is any of their business in my opinion. The policy is still online at Microsoft's website, feel free to take a look: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-privacy-statement

One of the main reasons I moved away from Google products was their privacy violations. Ironically enough, Microsoft were the ones that sued Google on multiple accounts for several privacy violations. Reading Microsoft's privacy policy now makes me upset.

I don't give a shit if microsoft look at which games I play or which websites I visit, it's not like I got secrets on my computer (time to delete -censored- folder). I guess I wouldn't prefer that my passwords got logged though.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63

Of course this info won't be sold or probably looked at, but as a privacy advocate, I have to say I'm disgusted at how they're treating the privacy of their users. None of the information they're collecting is any of their business in my opinion. The policy is still online at Microsoft's website, feel free to take a look: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...vacy-statement
If you read the document, it only applies to the technical preview.

Thank you for choosing to participate in a pre-release program for our next version of Windows! The purpose of the program is to enable you to provide usage data and feedback to Microsoft while trying out the pre-release software and services. Your participation is important and will provide us data we can use to better understand and engage our customers, and to improve our products and services. This privacy statement applies to the pre-release Microsoft Windows software, services and related experiences, including program websites and software that display or link to this notice (the “Program”).
This is common practice in any form of "early access" program. Half the reason they give early access to the public is to collect usage data and feedback so that the OS can be improved before release.

OSes especially need this. By collecting information as to what you are doing they know what parts of the OS are getting used (where optimizations count the most) and what parts are never used (the feature should be removed or redesigned). It also gives general usage metrics which they can compare with previous OS versions to help detect regression of both features and usage.

If they keep such a liberal data collection approach with the release version is an entirely different question. Chances are they will still have it in the form of "allow Microsoft to collect data to improve future products" (default on) which all Microsoft products now have but one can always disable that.

Does the data have value? Inside Microsoft for sure since they can use it to tailor products and updates. Outside Microsoft the value is much less as the OS metrics they record are only really useful for Microsoft OS development (both Mac and Linux OS have completely different use cases).

Level 15
Windows 8 was an improvement from a technical standpoint in comparison to 7. But holy crap, from a UI design standpoint it was a smoking pile of s*it.

It's like they took the desktop UI and the tablet UI, stitched them together to form the most dysfunctional Frankenstein of a OS UI I have yet seen.

Oh yeah, let's not put important user account and other settings in the control panel, lets put it in the "charms bar", because "Modern UI". Seriously a multi-billion OS corporation and they do amateur sh*t like that

Charms bar is bloody useless and only manages to annoy you, because guess what's usually in the same corner that's used to show the charms bar, goddamn button for closing maximized windows. WHAT THE HELL MICROSOFT?!

From having to use it on my 2in1 tablet for over half a year now, I can say with certainty that the UI, due to it's slapjack nature, doesn't function well no matter how you use it.

Oh and don't get me started on the start menu.

At the moment, the only reason I might ever consider moving to Win10 is only because DX12 and that is if AMD stops sitting on it's ass and releases a proper graphics card that doesn't make them look like complete idiots. But considering how it's faring now, it's quite possible that by the time I switch to Win10, AMD will be no more.

On the other hand, there's nvidia releasing utter trash of a "midrange" card and the blatant lies about their product specifications.

So yeah, Windows 10 won't happen for me anytime soon. On the tablet maybe, because I can't stand Win8.1 and I can't install Win7 on it because of the damn UEFI.

Level 21
windows 8 had one quality and that was backwards compatibility.(i could run breath of fire 4 without any issues. the pc version of course.) the interface was a problem but, i installed an addon that brought back the start menu. on my next pc i am planning to run 3 systems: 64 xp, 32 bit vista and 64 bit windows 10. xp have one strength and that is frequency.(modern systems supports only 60 hz or lower.) vista is my all time favorite and nothing will change that, i also need a system to run older games on.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
xp have one strength and that is frequency.(modern systems supports only 60 hz or lower.)
Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 10 all support refresh rates past 60. If fact Windows does not deal with display refresh rates, assigning that responsibility to the display/graphic drivers (eg NVidia, AMD or Intel).

If such a refresh rate is not available from the drivers, then either the display does not support it, or it is not being automatically detected. Follow your driver manual to find out how to add a custom resolution with custom refresh rate.

Level 21
nvidia does not provide higher rates through their drivers(check their website if you do not believe me)(they will only provide through monitors.). microsoft removed support for higher refresh rates and that is something they confirmed. they will not tell why however. certain games can manually set higher rates like quake(darkplaces engine source port). i managed to run it in 100 hz without any problems because it overrides the system limitations.(more straining to watch however.)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
there is. microsoft confirmed it. it have existed since vista.
You keep saying that but I see no proof. I searched the internet for any such evidence and all I find is posts about people running Windows 7 at >60 Hz without problems, or complaining that instead of 144 Hz they can only get to some value >60 Hz and <144 Hz as the refresh rate is not being detected correctly.

I know for a fact that 200 Hz is supported in some way. That is what some 3D technology uses (shutter glass).

Level 21
60 hz is the highest refresh rate that is supported in vista and newer though lower rates is available. i have been in direct contact with microsoft by email and that is where they confirmed it. there is some monitors that upscale 60 hz signals to higher frequencies. do you really think they would have been released if windows supported the frequencies nativly?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
i have been in direct contact with microsoft by email and that is where they confirmed it.
Microsoft says they do support it here.
A refresh rate of at least 75 hertz generally produces less flicker.
Obviously the guy who you got into "direct contact" with has little idea about Windows. I would recommend never contacting him again.

there is some monitors that upscale 60 hz signals to higher frequencies. do you really think they would have been released if windows supported the frequencies nativly?
They are almost entirely marketing hype. It allows them to charge more money for delivering nothing useful.

The main reason most displays are limited to 60 Hz is due to cable bandwidth at HD and UHD resolutions being only sufficient for 60 Hz at a reasonable length. Higher refresh rate displays like used for shutter glass 3D require more expensive cables, or are limited to very short cables. Additionally cheaper displays are limited by how quickly they can change pixel colour which sets the maximum possible refresh rate for the panel (more expensive panels are needed for high refresh rates).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
how much evidence do you need?
Real, independent evidence. Word of mouth is not credible unless you can back it up with real evidence.

I linked you to an official Microsoft page proving that refresh rates beyond 60 Hz are possible in Windows 7 and even instructing you how to change refresh rates. So far to support your argument you have given no proof at all saying that some random employee (with no listing of the communication) and unqualified shop assistants (who know as good as nothing about computers and also provided no listing of the communication) said it is so.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
shops in norway have strict demands and only certified people can work where they sell computers.
Yes but I highly doubt they have a MSc with distinction or better in Computer Science.

Oh and here have some more evidence.
attachment.php

As you can see, "75 Hertz" "screen refresh rate" supported by Windows 7. This is using an old monitor with AGP cable connected into an 8800GT. The monitor is from early 2000 (13 years old I think) and was probably designed to imitate CRT display settings (hence the 75 Hz support).

Attachments

• Windows 7 showing 75 Hz refresh rate.jpg
    Windows 7 showing 75 Hz refresh rate.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 241
Level 21
my 2 most used pcs can run in 100 hz in games that overrides system limitations. on one the monitor is installed currectly and i still only get 60 hz or lower but, it does work when i try to override limitation in the system.(some games is able to.) you are clearly using a hacked system for that screen shot but i will not use hacks.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
you are clearly using a hacked system for that screen shot but i will not use hacks.
Nope, I can plug it into any Windows 7 computer and it will still show up like that, even yours and it will show up like that. I tried this just now even for proof. This is because people have been pulling your leg by telling you the OS limits frame rate when it does not.

The issue you describe is an auto detection problem. People report this with various displays where they do support higher refresh rates but the graphic card does not automatically detect them. In this case you either need to go to the graphic card driver and manually set up a higher resolution, or you need to install the display drivers which instruct the graphic card how to interact with the display correctly.

Refresh rates are part of the display configuration. A display configuration consists of refresh rate, resolution (H/V) and colour depths as well as some protocol information. It is possible that unusual displays do not have automatic detection for all their display configurations. For example a 144 Hz monitor might not be given a 144 Hz display configuration automatically since the GPU driver might not be able to detect such a configuration (or not be programmed with one by default). You can add display configurations in your graphic driver to fix this problem.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
if you are so sure you wouldnt mind telling me how to do it would you.
I already have, I linked to where you change refresh rate and also said that if it does not appear there then you either need to install your display drivers (display variant, you have provided no information) or add a custom display configuration in your graphic drivers (vendor variant, you have provided no information). You could google, bing or whatever for a more detailed guide more specific to your configuration.

Do be aware that just because a display says "120 Hz" on the box does not mean it supports it. For example I have a "120 Hz" TV which actually only supports 60 Hz (says so in the technical document of supported display formats, no 120 Hz are mentioned there).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Here you go. For someone who read the NVidia site so carefully about SLI it surprises me you did not read this.

I tested the steps provided personally on my own Windows 7 computer running the latest NVidia drivers and a modern graphic card. Since these steps have not changed since the GeForce 7 series and my card is newer than a 650 ti I can confirm they are the same for the 650 ti.

Ash

Ash

Level 22
As I've said, I run and publish experiments at 85hz and have pushed my CRT monitors up to 120hz. Running at such a high refresh rate is relatively pointless due to monitor flicker, and it hurts my eyes. >_<

Windows supports hz greater than 60, there is no room for debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.