• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why elves??????

Choice you'r favorit race!

• Human(Dwarf,Human)

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Elf(all elven races)

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • Orc(Trolls,Ogers,Orcs{Fel Orcs,Orcs},Taurens)

• Undead(Crypt,Demon,Undead)

• Draenei

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Naga

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
So guys why every recent campagin have to do with elves ,i mean it starts to be for me realy bored,where ever i look in the map devolpment,i see just storys about elves,and i'm so bored when i read something about the elves ,becasue the site contains many stuff that has to do with elves,so its time to make some changes,anybody can make a different race ,becasue it exsist not a limit for a race,be just creativ ,and set your fantasy free,but don't set to much fantasy free,becasue to much fantasy=ugly ,and to much nonsense.

I create too a campagin,and i will nothing say about,becasue i don't want destroy the suprise, and i don't want that people take ideas for maps,story,terrain,....before the map is not uploadet.

Any comments?

Last edited:
Level 21
Maybe elves are simply back in fashion or the elf fans are majority now? Gone are the days when we hated the pointy eared, arrogant, know-it-alls, barely not human poor excuse for a fantasy race... ahem I mean they are traditional classic race and they don't lack models and other resources. As for other races well its peoples choice if they want to use elves or some of the other races, but unless they are modelers I doubt they will have freedom to make up new original race. And what is "too much fantasy", it isn't quantity that makes something good or bad it is implementation.

I myself have never had an elf project because I prefer monster races like Taurens, Trolls, Gnolls, Murlocs and so on but I just don't have time to start a project. I am tired of the orcs too though, especially the noble warcraft kind.

Level 3
Maybe elves are simply back in fashion or the elf fans are majority now? Gone are the days when we hated the pointy eared, arrogant, know-it-alls, barely not human poor excuse for a fantasy race... ahem I mean they are traditional classic race and they don't lack models and other resources. As for other races well its peoples choice if they want to use elves or some of the other races, but unless they are modelers I doubt they will have freedom to make up new original race. And what is "too much fantasy", it isn't quantity that makes something good or bad it is implementation.

I myself have never had an elf project because I prefer monster races like Taurens, Trolls, Gnolls, Murlocs and so on but I just don't have time to start a project. I am tired of the orcs too though, especially the noble warcraft kind.
I don't force someone for a race,and i know you have not say that i force someone,but one small part on your threader sounds like"Crused you force someone to change the race"*LoL*,
Yea, thats true what you said about "too much fantasy",i should say "set you'r ideas free and you'r fantasy style,but don't set to much of the fantasy style ,becasue that would be a big nonsense ugly shet",my bad x)!

Level 3
Anyways i will create a lich race in my campagin,i mean that i will download stuff and customize it to a lich race,its like a ice race with some undead units,i hope that the race will be popular ,and that the race will give some inspiration to people :)!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Because being a human sucks. If your an Elf you not only live longer, have un-natural accuracy, usually model-like looks but also have a good innate magic capability. Basically being an Elf automatically makes you a super hero (or villain) compared with humans. Gnomes, Dwarves, Orcs and all other such races all have major dis-advantages associated with their powers, where as the Elves have none.

They are also human enough to still be considered "human like" so do not suffer from all the furry hatred that goes around.

Even Link and Zelda from Legend of Zelda series were not humans. They were Hyrilians (might be misspelled) which if anything are closer to elves than humans (they even have pointy ears!)

Level 21
Interesting view but you forgot that elves usually despite being shown as "humans but better" are often in state of stagnancy or slow downfall. For all their arrogant superiority they still manage to be surpassed by humans. I do find interesting that most examples of elves are inspired by tolkien elves who are actually subversion to stereotype at least in their Silmarilion History (they were hardly noble and good there).

Regarding Hylians honestly they only appear as elves but are honestly more related to humans. They aren't long lived and besides royal family there doesn't appear that common folk have any innate magic ability.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
are often in state of stagnancy or slow downfall
Humanity is not? Last I read Saudi Arabia was hiring 10 new "swordsmen" to behead people and Islamic State was destroying one of the best preserved ancient cities in the world.

For all their arrogant superiority they still manage to be surpassed by humans.
They do? I though elves were mostly destroyed by demons, undead or other evil forces such as Saruon.
I do find interesting that most examples of elves are inspired by tolkien elves who are actually subversion to stereotype at least in their Silmarilion History (they were hardly noble and good there).
Elves are not by nature "good". They are by nature super powered but they still can be both good and evil.

Regarding Hylians honestly they only appear as elves but are honestly more related to humans. They aren't long lived and besides royal family there doesn't appear that common folk have any innate magic ability.
They all have innate magical capabilities, just few find it. Hence how fairies give link a Magic gauge. Zelda has innate magical capabilities but that can be written off due to her being the incarnation of a goddess. Additionally a lot of the people in Hyrule are not "Hyrilians" in some of the games due to various reasons.

Level 21
Humanity is not? Last I read Saudi Arabia was hiring 10 new "swordsmen" to behead people and Islamic State was destroying one of the best preserved ancient cities in the world.

How is that statement relevant to my point? I was speaking about elves in fiction and you give me examples of humans in reality. And not even humans that follow the western/european values that are most common in fiction. Doesn't prove or disprove my claim that elves are often portrayed as stagnant/dying race as whole and not some isolated fragment.

They do? I though elves were mostly destroyed by demons, undead or other evil forces such as Saruon.

Again what are you proving with that point? Does surpassing word in English mean always destroy, annihilate or some other hostile and direct action. Humans also face same problems yet they are shown most of the times as progressing and expanding. Humans also don't share with elves their almost non existent birthrate. What you should have pointed out instead that humans are protagonist race so of course they in the end always receive best destiny (which is why I am bored of humans too not just elves).

And really what did Sauron himself do to the elves, tried to trick them with 3 rings which failed. If anything Lotr elves brought their fall duo to mass migration of population and no real population growth combined with stagnation of their societies.

Elves are not by nature "good". They are by nature super powered but they still can be both good and evil.

In theory yes that is correct (in case of Lotr in practice too). But in most settings elves are shown without doubt as good unless they are the hedonistic/fetish "dark" elf subrace.

They all have innate magical capabilities, just few find it. Hence how fairies give link a Magic gauge. Zelda has innate magical capabilities but that can be written off due to her being the incarnation of a goddess. Additionally a lot of the people in Hyrule are not "Hyrilians" in some of the games due to various reasons.

By few you mean titular hero of time and princess. Rest of population seems rather human like to me. Also yes there are humans in Hyrule along with Hyrulians but humans mostly appear in games not set in Hyrule (Oracle Seies, Link's Awakening). I am wiling to go with idea that original Hyrulians had magical capabilities but lost them with each generation. But even so they are lot more closer to humans than elves, but aren't humans themselves.

Level 24
Elves are in general characters that you like a lot I mean just look at the elves from my favorite fantasy series. We have Arya, Iorveth, Galadriel, Merrill and not to mention Sylvanas Windrunner.

Not only are elves generally more interesting characters (The only exception I can think of is Dragon Age.) they also as Mr Super_Good said generally can't die from old age, they have a keen eye for magic and have beautiful features. They also are fantasy characters and few people come into a fantasy series with the goal to play as a human. In addition they are very gender neutral which makes them fit in better with the modern western civilization and we find it simpler to be sympathetic to someone who isn't a sexist. Besides in more cases than not elves represent the good side while there are generally a human ruler on the evil side.

And lets not forget that we aren't just speaking of any elves here either but the elves of WarCraft. There are so many great elves to choose between Sylvanas, Alleria, Vereesa, Tyrande, Malfurion, Illidan, Lor'Themar, Keal'Thas, Azshara, Vashj and many others.

The only race I like better than elves are dragons, I mean how could you argue with Saskia, Glaedr or Malygos?

Level 24
Bad things always happen to them however. Cool as they are they are forever confined as "dragons to be slain" rather than the heroes.

I'll have to partly agree with you there, in some cases it is true that they are leviathans to be slain. If you look at Glaedr for instance then yes Galbatorix wanted him dead but we have even more who revered him as a god. As for Saskia you can always spare her her life and if you sided with her in act 2 she'll even appear in front of you in humanoid form one last time. As for Malygos I'll always remember him as he was prior to Deathwing in War of the Ancients and Dawn of the Aspects. We do however have dragons such as Smaug who are as you said only depicted as dragons to be slain.

I do agree however that tragic things always happen to them. Dragons are always depicted as raw power and therefor makes an impressive trophy either dead or as your subject.

Level 3
Naga is the mutation of elves(that knows everyone who have finish TFT night elf campagin),and elves are weak,i mean elves could never beat my orc strategy(the strategy of the horde) in melee,i can destroy them with any difficult,so the mutation of orcs(the fel orcs) can esey beat the naga,so yea the naga have strong units ,but they can have just a low amount of units ,and just one hero(ilidan is not realy the part of naga,becasue he is half night elf,half demon),i mean i use just three heros ,and a tactic formation for my horde),ther is no chance for elves.
Guys i'm serious now,elves have never beat my horde forces,they was not even the last alive race. :wink:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
can esey beat the naga
Until the Naga sit in water rendering all your insane Orc melee firepower worthless while they cast all kinds of high damage stuff on you all day long.

The reality is that the power of a race is entirely defined by the writes imagination of them. Some Elves are as good as "useless hippies" while others are demi-gods. Like wise you get humans which are nothing more than slaves all the way to god killing machines.

Level 3
Oh yea i forgot the water,becasue i play mostly times on maps that have just a little amount of water,but you know what the naga can still lose,becasue my main strenght comes not just from my tactical army,it comes to from my main hero,and my main hero is the Shadow Hunter,so about him i can just say that he is very,very,very useful,not like the naga medusa hero that turns into a frog when she see my shadow hunter. :p

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The Naga never got a full compliment of heroes. As such you cannot say that for sure. If you assume the campaign heroes then they have Sea Witch, Blood Mage and Demon Hunter. Obviously these are silly heroes that do not match them but as I said, they were never finished as a race.

Level 30
About OP's question, its probably because Warcraft III's history background started from the civilization of Elves(or Night Elves), and much of what I can recall is that Elves are an essential to the Fantasy genre, and I'm sure there is more humanoid races that can be the primary asset of a story instead of elves.

As for the poll, I picked Orcs. Because said so. (Appeal to Popularity)

Level 21
Naga should just spam Coutles against orcs really. They cost just 2 food and are as strong as wind riders. Not to mention that naga lacks tiers so nothing to stop them from destroying player at the start except merciful attack schedule. Honestly campaign naga race is just broken.

Deleted member 238589

D

Deleted member 238589

@VeljkoM: More like incomplete design, I'd say. And yeah, Coutles are so strong.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Why elves??????
Because they've got looks, keen senses (vision & hearing, sometimes olfaction too) they don't age, they're skinny, hairless (beard/body), beautiful, blond and often possess magical abilities. I also never heard of them needing to pee or poop. In essence, they're everything we would like to be.

My next step to evolving the elven race is to make them photosynthetic. :smile:

Level 30
Naga should just spam Coutles against orcs really. They cost just 2 food and are as strong as wind riders. Not to mention that naga lacks tiers so nothing to stop them from destroying player at the start except merciful attack schedule. Honestly campaign naga race is just broken.

Same here, even their ground units are just enough to handle crowd control (except murguls), I mean the Myrmidon can exceed the melee advantages of a grunt/raider or even a knight. They can also use the ensnare ability without any requirements. btw, can naga train royal guards? I can't recall much of it, but I'm pretty sure those units are like tanks that can summon, and do splash ability (like shockwave).

Level 24
Even those damn elves outnumbered the naga by 1 vote... Nooooooooooooooooo! Why naga is lost?
*screams loudly, then run around like a Crazy Ivan*

The Naga lost due to simple math. ;) The Naga are remnants of the Highbourne while the elves combined are both the remnants of the Highbourne and the rest of the Kal'dorei people. Highbourne vs Highbourne + Lowbourne, 2 > 1 simple math. ;)

Level 21
Same here, even their ground units are just enough to handle crowd control (except murguls), I mean the Myrmidon can exceed the melee advantages of a grunt/raider or even a knight. They can also use the ensnare ability without any requirements. btw, can naga train royal guards? I can't recall much of it, but I'm pretty sure those units are like tanks that can summon, and do splash ability (like shockwave).

No, they can't train Royal Guards and they shouldn't do that in altered melee map because those guys are demi-heroes. And of course Myrmidons exceed grunt (tier 1 melee) and Rider (Normal damage > medium armor), Myrmidons are equivalents of tier 3 melee units and their stats are nothing laugh at. Mur'gul is also quite good compared to Tier 1 units as it is cheapest yet damage is equal to grunts. To bad Blizzard didn't make Naga race properly and instead just left exaggerated units to make campaign more challenging.

Level 20
Well i think the reason why they are in such a spotlight as of now is due to the image their race resembles.Their race looks like that cool girl in the school who has a nice body,pretty face and get's really good grades that all wanna go out with her.

When you get to know here from a more personal prespetive you get to see she ain't as cool as you thought in the begining the same is with the elfs.They almost doomed Azeroth once with their lust for magice.I personaly do not like them...They seem to me like some really annoying spoiled brats who think they are the best at anything...

Taurens Rule!!! :D

Level 19
How about we do something constructive and each contribute an idea to a new race

My contribution is that they should be being made from pure magic, from the realm where magic comes from.

There armour type should be magic and when they die their remaining energy should be added to the source from where they are born ie the building they were made from.

warrior type mana goes to warrior type buildings and the mana used to remake new units... something like mana powered buildings or something.

who is willing to contribute?

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
How about we do something constructive and each contribute an idea to a new race

My contribution is that they should be being made from pure magic, from the realm where magic comes from.

There armour type should be magic and when they die their remaining energy should be added to the source from where they are born ie the building they were made from.

warrior type mana goes to warrior type buildings and the mana used to remake new units... something like mana powered buildings or something.

who is willing to contribute?

Wrong thread. Create a new one for that.

This thread is about why elves suck, why is there even a poll now?

No! Orcs won and annihilated the Naga.

987eb972dba733c873fccc00720e0e4f.jpg

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
To weed out elf lovers from the rest. So far 20 people are safe, 5 are on the list... oh wait its anonymous.

Another mistake, making it anonymous. >:eek:

No! Orcs won and annihilated the Naga.

You realize that naga are elves as well, in a way? Look at their origins.

Level 24
To weed out elf lovers from the rest. So far 20 people are safe, 5 are on the list... oh wait its anonymous.

We aren't ashamed of our love for elves anu belore dela'na sin'dorei. Feel free to do your worst. ;P

Status
Not open for further replies.