• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What's the difference between a gamer and nerd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I call myself nerd, I spend a lot of time on computer and some days play a game for a moment.

So I see some call themselves gamers, cuz they play a lot, like at least 2 hours a day, and some even play like 100 hours in 2 weeks. I think they're just nerds.

So what is the difference? I bet some are too shy to call themselves nerds so they call themselves gamers.

Level 22
Maybe because the word nerd sounds like turd. Or just because they aren't socially impaired.

Level 14
I think you can't call someone a nerd by the ammount of time he plays in the PC or by the "actions" he does in the PC.
You can call someone nerd by his social image.
A guy who always talks about PC, disgusses his experiences in the PC and same stuff when he is NOT in front of the PC, is a stupid nerd and he pisses me off.
I mean, I also play PC for about 2-3 hours a day on average, but when it comes to real life I act like a human, a homo sapiens.
The same thing happens with the "cool" guys and girls who spent 24 hours on facebook and tweeter and those sites and when they go out, the also log in to those sites using their phones etc.
DON'T DO THAT TOO! IT'S MORE ANNOYING THAN BEING NERD! TALK TO EACH OTHER!

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

So like, nerd is a social image and gamer is a lifestyle?

Level 14
It depends of the point of view gamer can be an term for speaking of those who have as work to play games (then it is very rare and it is professional chess players professional SC players and stuff of this kind) or those who play too much but the term is vague and means only someone who plays games(it does not need to be video-games at all).
Nerd is associated with the knowledge or the investment of the one doing the activity and so someone playing too much can be considered as an nerd as well as an doctor(in any domain) or an noob like me who read 48 300 pages DND manuals and played it only 20 hours to it in its whole life(reasonless waste of time in my case).
When you have multiple titles you can say you have the title you want it is not hiding your other titles it is economizing time.

Last edited:
Level 12
You can be a gamer without being a nerd and you can be a nerd without being a gamer. A gamer is generally someone who plays games. A nerd on the other hand is also considered sometimes socially impaired and highly intelligent. (I guess)

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

highly intelligent. (I guess)
lol :D they're just selfish. I'd hate a person who always believes "I know the answer" and "I'm smarter than you"

Level 22
Shellfish are great, specially on soups. One time, this cute girl served me some, it made my day.

Anyway, your description fits "arrogant" too.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I pretty much agree with what Wikipedia has to say:
Wikipedia: Nerd said:
Nerd (adjective: nerdy) is a descriptive term, often used pejoratively, indicating that a person is overly intellectual, obsessive, or socially impaired. They may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, obscure, or non-mainstream activities, which are generally either highly technical or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities. Additionally, many nerds are described as being shy, quirky, and unattractive, and may have difficulty participating in, or even following, sports. Though originally derogatory, "Nerd" is a stereotypical term, but as with other pejoratives, it has been reclaimed and redefined by some as a term of pride and group identity.
Wikipedia: Gamer said:
A "gamer" is someone who plays video games or board games. The term nominally includes those who do not necessarily consider themselves to be gamers (i.e., casual gamers), as well as those who spend a notable part of their leisure time playing or learning about games.

There are many gamer communities around the world. Many of these take the form of discussion forums and other virtual communities, as well as college or university social clubs.

Level 16
A nerd is a geek * 100 and he can't stop talking about it. Also, he is socially awkward.

This. I don't think there is anything socially wrong with playing computer games or spending time doing computer based things. The only problem is when somebody finds it difficult to spark conversation that DOESN'T revolve around a game or other computer related things. I think people who can't talk about something other than computers is a nerd. Generally speaking, people who spend 3+ hours a day on a computer are nerds. Think about it, if you spend all your time on a computer, what time are you leaving yourself to do and learn about other things? Your knowledge of the world becomes restrained to killing noobs in a DOTA game and raging about losing.

I have a friend who is addicted to computer games and whenever you will see him, he always starts conversations about computer games or changes your topic to a computer based conversation. If you talk about anything else, he appears to know very little and shy's out. His social skills aren't all that great. I'd call him a nerd.

the 'nerd' label refers to an individual that is socially awkward but academically gifted
the 'geek' label refers to an individual that is obsessive over certain pop culture media eg) trekkies
the 'gamer' label refers to an individual who has gaming as one of their interests

'geek' and 'gamer' define our interests, 'nerd' defines our personality, & neither are mutually exclusive. a gamer can be a nerd. however, a gamer can also fit the 'jock' archetype, among many others. that said, there can also be nerdy jocks etc. and most people fall into 2 or more categories.

in any case, 'nerd' isnt really a thing u want to label someone, nor is 'geek'.

Level 21
In European culture(and thus, America), the word "nerd" has a negative undertone, because the western cultures usually don't favor people who shy away from socializing. It is often taken as anti-social, rather than unsocial.

In Japan there is a word called "otaku", which means pretty much the same as "nerd" in English, but has a positive undertone. This is largely because the Japanese are a people who traditionally don't like overly social people and prefer those who are quiet and do their job well. Those 2 traits are seen as different ends of the same scale, but in a manner opposite to what Europeans consider right.

It could be said that both of those are biased or prejudiced, but then again it somewhat makes sense culturally.
Nowadays that people are more interlinked across the world, this "otaku" perception of nerds has slowly been dripping into the western world and many now consider nerd to have the same or a similar undertone as otaku.

However, they are not the same historically and thus, this thread was created.

Level 15
in my country there is no such thing, well actually there is gamer. Gamer is a guy who play game, no matter who is he. Thats my opinion
if you play "High School Story", an iOS game, "Gamer" is made by "Nerd" and "Jock"

DESTROYER123 said:
The same thing happens with the "cool" guys and girls who spent 24 hours on facebook and tweeter and those sites and when they go out, the also log in to those sites using their phones etc.
i believe its "Twitter" not "Tweeter". I was saying that for a year till a couple months ago. LOL

Level 34
See? ^ This is why rep needs to be enabled in off-topic. Now I've made a whole post that people need to see in order to tell Taxi that I enjoyed his comment. I'm sorry you lost so much of your life here guys, it's the sites fault.

Level 11
In European culture(and thus, America), the word "nerd" has a negative undertone, because the western cultures usually don't favor people who shy away from socializing. It is often taken as anti-social, rather than unsocial.

In Japan there is a word called "otaku", which means pretty much the same as "nerd" in English, but has a positive undertone. This is largely because the Japanese are a people who traditionally don't like overly social people and prefer those who are quiet and do their job well. Those 2 traits are seen as different ends of the same scale, but in a manner opposite to what Europeans consider right.

It could be said that both of those are biased or prejudiced, but then again it somewhat makes sense culturally.
Nowadays that people are more interlinked across the world, this "otaku" perception of nerds has slowly been dripping into the western world and many now consider nerd to have the same or a similar undertone as otaku.

However, they are not the same historically and thus, this thread was created.

An excellent post on cultural polarity. Deserves rep. IMO
The 'otaku' stereotype has dominated western films and culture for a long time now. Recently I saw the movie 'How to train a Dragon' (bit late, I know) and the fact was solidified.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Well, if this thread was created in Medivh's tower...
Go make one there if you want to. I cant post there somehow

Nerdiness is actually taken as a positive thing in some cultures?? :OO I WANNA GO THERE LMFAO

Level 21
This thread is too old to be moved to MT imo. Also, this isn't the kind of thread that would fit there, because the question itself is vague.
About posting there, you'll need to ask Hakeem(who I asked) or someone else who has the power.

Status
Not open for further replies.