• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

So... I'm burned out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

I'm burnout! :( :(
(Yes, I was already burnout before I joined THW.
I can feel that I'm lazy guy... Burnout...)

:'(

So... Have you guys suffered burnout? How bad is it?

I just feel that I'm lazy, nothing motivated me. (Even though something motivates me, but it doesn't work.) That's all for me...

Level 28
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/off-topic-478/how-you-deal-239034/index3.html
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/off-topic-478/life-shit-256131/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/off-topic-478/need-some-help-can-i-ask-you-pls-259246/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/medivhs-tower-411/depression-262537/
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/off-topic-478/who-i-am-268170/

Read those carefully and decide for yourself what to take into account in order to get over your state.
Your case isn't that uncommon, you know.
However, as you describe it, being "lazy" und "unmotivated" is nowhere near to a burnout unless you crack up in tears just thinking about work, followed by you going into sheltering all week.

It may also originate from a lack of minerals, vitamines, salt and other neccessities to keep your body health up. The cause is not always limited to the human mind.
If you notice yourself shaking your head as you read this, however, it may be cause by something psychological.
In that case, you need something to motivate you - something that's worth working for.
It doesn't need to be a hard task, like "make tons of money yay!", but rather a simple one.

To give an example, I wrote my novel over a course of four years and am still writing every now and then. The mere fact that I managed to create something like this out of nothing greatly adds to my self-confidence, helps me sorting out thoughts and... I dunno, it's complicated.
Acknowledging that whatever it is that you set to work is a thing nobody else has feels simply great.
The worst thing, keep that in mind, is to rely on your state and tell people of with: 'No, I'm too unmotivated to do X because I feel like I'm burnt out."

Let me also, lastly, have Shia LaBoeuf scream at you to just... do it:

Last edited:

Ash

Ash

Level 22
Squiggy mentions a lot of good points.

Burnout's a pretty regular thing (at least for me) because we live very fast lives with very few breaks. The only way I've managed to continue handling it is to keep on moving. Don't let my entropy stop.

Winimasker

W

Winimasker

Thanks for your comments! I can feel that I'm sober and motive a little bit (better than being burnout by 100%).

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
Burnout is a choice. At least what I know as burnout which is basically being extremely mentally tired. Edit: Yup, I was correct. (Source)

You can lower responsibility, hours worked, everything in general if you're willing to lower your living standards.
Either you work your ass off at your super stressful job (and well paying job) to buy the latest phone, the best car and a ton of bitches..
OR, you work way less in a calmer environment and live in an small apartment, taking the bus to your average job.

I bet the later option lower exhausting by a whole lot.

Burnout is a choice. At least what I know as burnout which is basically being extremely mentally tired. Edit: Yup, I was correct. (Source)
What? The article states exactly the opposite: that Burnout is just a sub-type of depression (which is not a choice, but a metabolic desease).

Level 19
think of your burnt out condition as an opportunity to prove how awesome you are. that you can still kick ass even when you feel totally crap

when life presents you with a challenge, look that challenge straight in the face and say, 'I'm going to fuck you up challenge. when your own mother looks at you she is going to say, 'ops I forgot to flush' your father is going to kick himself in the nuts so you can't happen again and all your siblings are going to commit suicide. so bring it on challenge, bring the shit on! I'm waiting for you challenge!!!!'

or remember that a challenge is exactly that. someone has offered you the opportunity to show you what you are made of. are you just going to sit down or are you going to rip the stuffings out of this challenge and eat it!

oh man, you picked the wrong dude today challenge. I'm going to mess you up!

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39

You can lower responsibility, hours worked, everything in general if you're willing to lower your living standards.
Either you work your ass off at your super stressful job (and well paying job) to buy the latest phone, the best car and a ton of bitches..
OR, you work way less in a calmer environment and live in an small apartment, taking the bus to your average job.
Pride? Attachment to your peers? Feelings of responsibility? Going through the motions of finding a new job you like? You talk about switching out of your career like spitting out a sour piece of chewed gum in place of a Hubba Bubba Max.

People who burn out are generally not even aware that they're running on fumes until it all bites their hamstring clean off and they lose footing. And burnout symptoms include actual physical illness, nausea, ect. Hindsight is 20/20 though, and I guess we can all rely on that...

think of your burnt out condition as an opportunity to prove how awesome you are. that you can still kick ass even when you feel totally crap

when life presents you with a challenge, look that challenge straight in the face and say, 'I'm going to fuck you up challenge. when your own mother looks at you she is going to say, 'ops I forgot to flush' your father is going to kick himself in the nuts so you can't happen again and all your siblings are going to commit suicide. so bring it on challenge, bring the shit on! I'm waiting for you challenge!!!!'

or remember that a challenge is exactly that. someone has offered you the opportunity to show you what you are made of. are you just going to sit down or are you going to rip the stuffings out of this challenge and eat it!

oh man, you picked the wrong dude today challenge. I'm going to mess you up!
Thanks, Shia LaBeouf.

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
What? The article states exactly the opposite: that Burnout is just a sub-type of depression (which is not a choice, but a metabolic desease).

Obviously it's not a choice as in it comes as a guarantee with the job or whatever caused the burnout.
But rather as in you can adapt your life accordingly to get rid of the burnout once you've gotten it.

>trusting wikipedia
It's an accepted source in most cases, I have always used it in school and the teachers have never said that it was wrong to do so.
Though one should not trust literary everything a source says, but that's another debate I believe.

Pride? Attachment to your peers? Feelings of responsibility? Going through the motions of finding a new job you like? You talk about switching out of your career like spitting out a sour piece of chewed gum in place of a Hubba Bubba Max.
Be my guest and keep the burnout then.

People who burn out are generally not even aware that they're running on fumes until it all bites their hamstring clean off and they lose footing. And burnout symptoms include actual physical illness, nausea, ect. Hindsight is 20/20 though, and I guess we can all rely on that...
This. I have never heard of a single case of Burnout where the patient was aware of having it until confronted with the reality.
It's usually family and friends that notice the change, not the victim himself.

Level 19
I still don't understand this. Guaranteed you don't work as hard as me and I've never even heard of burnt out. it sounds like something complacent and lazy individuals come up with to claim that this level of work is humanly impossible, when there are millions doing it everyday and not realising they should apparently not be able to.

1 work 12 hours day in construction which is both physical and mental.
including math, endurance and heavy lifting.

6 days a week every second week, 5 days on normal weeks

weekends are sometimes taken up to make invoices and do measurements on site

when laying foundations we work all day till 7 with no lunch breaks, 13 hours with no food.

what exactly do you do in order to be burnt out?

Ash

Ash

Level 22
I still don't understand this. Guaranteed you don't work as hard as me and I've never even heard of burnt out. it sounds like something complacent and lazy individuals come up with to claim that this level of work is humanly impossible, when there are millions doing it everyday and not realising they should apparently not be able to.

I don't understand why you have to compare yourself to someone else. What's toiling for you is easy for someone else - and vice versa. Burning out is legit, and it's tough to deal with. I can almost guarantee you've experienced burnout, just perhaps in a slightly different way to what is described here.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Aiy it's still sounds like a made up excuse not to come to work.

and if it is something I've experienced, I didn't complain about it enough to remember it happening
Again, it's common that the victim is unaware or in complete denial of it. Complaining about it doesn't fit into the model; it's the exact opposite. They keep going into work, denying all problems, until they completely collapse both mentally and physically, to the point where they require immediate medical attention. It's a pretty far throw from asking for paid leave because you're tired.

Occupational burnout takes many forms and can reach very severe phases. Like Ash said, most people have experienced at least early onset syndromes of it, even if it hasn't been severe and reached any critical phase. Take the Freudenberger/North 12-phase model for reference.

Level 19
the signs of being burnt out are pretty vague and sound even more made up now that I read it

symptoms
-----
1. The Compulsion to
Prove Oneself;
demonstrating
worth obsessively;
tends to hit the
best employees,
those with
enthusiasm who
accept
responsibility
readily.
2. Working Harder;
an inability to
switch off.
3. Neglecting Their
Needs; erratic
sleeping, eating
disrupted, lack of
social interaction.
4. Displacement of
Conflicts;
problems are
dismissed, we
may feel
threatened,
panicky and
jittery.
5. Revision of
Values; values are
skewed, friends
and family
dismissed,
hobbies seen as
irrelevant, work is
only focus.
6. Denial of Emerging
Problems;
intolerance,
perceiving
collaborators as
stupid, lazy,
demanding, or
undisciplined,
social contacts
harder; cynicism,
aggression;
problems are
viewed as caused
by time pressure
and work, not
because of life
changes.
7. Withdrawal; social
life small or non-
existent, need to
feel relief from
stress, alcohol/
drugs.
8. Odd Behavioural
Changes; changes
in behaviour
obvious, friends
and family
concerned.
9. Depersonalization;
seeing neither self
nor others as
valuable, and no
longer perceive
own needs.
10. Inner Emptiness;
feeling empty
inside and to
overcome this,
look for activity
such as
overeating, sex,
alcohol, or drugs;
activities are often
exaggerated.
11. Depression;
feeling lost and
unsure,
exhausted, future
feels bleak and
dark.
12. Burnout
Syndrome; can
include total
mental and
physical collapse;
time for full
medical attention.
----
so what do you guys think?

real or not

Ash

Ash

Level 22
the signs of being burnt out are pretty vague and sound even more made up now that I read it

so what do you guys think?

real or not

There will always be an issue if you're going to be so egocentric in your understanding of how things work. Just because you have never experienced something doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. This is a typical issue usually mentioned when psychosomatic issues are discussed, so allow me to rephrase it:

You would have no problem agreeing that the common cold exists, likely because at some point in your life you have suffered from it. However you have never suffered from ebola, smallpox, or anthrax poisoning: would you deny that these illnesses exist? If so, we can arrange for you to have first hand experience...

Level 19
the difference dude

I've heard of all those other illnesses, I have never heard of this burnt out syndrome.

give me a statistic of where it is most common. guaranteed its only been heard of in America

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
A symptom is not the same as a disease. You get tired when you have the flu, but you don't necessarily have the flu because you're tired.

well try Google, they don't believe it either

the first thing you get is, 'is it real? '
I get a wikipedia article, NCBI articles, psychologytoday, and a few help guides as first hits.

You know that Google search results are associated with your browser cookie record, right?

Level 19
Wow! you see

even in that article that's obviously well researched, they say there is no way to determine if Burnt out is real or just a miss diagnosed form of depression

in other words... made up by lazy people

Ash

Ash

Level 22
even in that article that's obviously well researched, they say there is no way to determine if Burnt out is real or just a miss diagnosed form of depression

in other words... made up by lazy people

You're missing the point still. If someone is complaining they're burnt out, they may actually be saying they're depressed. I'm sure you're not going to argue depression doesn't exist...

The article makes the case for a potential functional difference between the two.

Roland

R

Roland

I'm not fat and I'm really fucking skinny I'm just 50-50.. Although I'm sickly person.

Level 34
I realize this is off-topic to a degree, but I didn't want to make a new thread for it and this one fit best. I apologize if you guys thing it's too OT.

I agree with this guy a lot. He mentions religion and God a bit, but I think the rest of it is universal truth regardless of beliefs.

Level 19
I'm so tired I don't even take a shower yet I'm covered in dirt

only had 2 days off in the last 3 weeks and it's 12 hours

I work so hard that I sleep on my breaks and don't eat

I believe that burnout is just our body and unconscious mind trying to get us to stop wasting our life on the wrong things. You might be trying too hard to do things that you don't really care about in the first place. Your body could be making itself decline to force you to stop. You might just need to find something that you are self-motivated to do, and do that for a while.

Our lives are too structured, and we aren't free to make the changes that we need. Burnout is difficult to fight because you need a complete change in scenery. Your entire life needs to be different for a period of time. You need to do what you want to do for a while.

The problem is that everything you left behind will be gone when you come back; your job, and everything that you used your job to pay for.

But somehow you need to find a way to be free for a while. Not free and lazy, but free and working; you need to do something because you want to do it.

Level 19
what about doing a job you don't particularly fancy, and in your off time you focus on building your dream job

yet despite the fact that your dream Job is what you love, you find no energy to do it?

like me for example. I like my construction job but I also realise it's not something I'll be fit to do my whole life.

which is why in my off time I program making programs for handicapped kids.

however. when it comes time to do some programing after work, I'm so so so tired despite all the ideas I had during the day

what about than?

are we just screwed either way with no hope of ever escaping achieving our dreams?

Status
Not open for further replies.