• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Reader's Lounge

Level 36
You should write a review when you're finished, I'd like to know if it's worth reading or not.
I've semi-started reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, which means I read
some pages until I got my hands on Dune again. So first I'm going to finish that, then I'll
be reading Gjengangeren by Ibsen, Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf and Krapp's Last Tape
by Samuel Beckett THEN I'll continue reading the Stormlight Archives :p

What I can say, though, is that it seemed pretty entertaining thus far, and somehow
slightly, for some weird reason, reminded me a little of Jak and Daxter. (The game.)

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I read all of the Eragon books a while ago, but I do not remember enough to write a detailed review though. I remember I liked pretty much every aspect but the romance though.

edit: When I think back I didn't like Eragon's brother either, I felt like it turned out completely absurd when he killed 100 enemies without any military training.

Level 34
I am not familiar with any of these names. Is "The Way of Kings" in the "Stormlight Archives"?. Not familiar with "Jak and Daxter" either.
"The Way of Kings" is book one of my favorite series ever. There's only two books so far (third is in progress), but they are so awesome. The series is called "The Stormlight Archives." The author is Brandon Sanderson. I may be a bit of a fanboy.

Jak and Daxter was a platforming game for the PS2. Jax II and Jak 3 (sequels) kept the platforming and added a GTA style of gameplay on top. Jak II and 3 are two of my all time favorite games. I don't see how any of the Jak games relate to "Way of Kings", but I love Keiji even more now. That is if he keeps reading Stormlight.

Level 36
I don't see how any of the Jak games relate to "Way of Kings"

I guess it was a little far-fetched, but I reckon it's mostly the magic and how it works that
sort of reminds me a little of how Eco works in the first game. And yes, the Jak series was
my favourite game series as a child, I even bought the high-def ps3 game not too long ago.

Which was a blast to play through.

Also, hello everyone!

It's alive! - Where the heck have you been? :)

Level 34
So, any impressions of it so far? I have yet to recommend that book to someone and have them tell me it was disappointing. It's fantastic.
It's been a slow start, but I think last night got my hooked finally so I'll probably be reading every day now.

So far I like it a lot.

Roland

R

Roland

I like the Anarchist's cookbook, It's awesome and devilish. I also did some ton of CCTV Sabotaging.

And I love reading 100 words to make you sound smart, It's really a nice book too :D Thanks cousin <3

Level 34
What part did you hit that got you hooked?
Once he starts to tell his story, and
especially once the troupe is attacked.
Although it may also just be me. I usually read a book here and there for a bit, then a few chapters in I start wanting to know what happens and I'm hooked.

Level 15
Once he starts to tell his story, and
especially once the troupe is attacked.
Although it may also just be me. I usually read a book here and there for a bit, then a few chapters in I start wanting to know what happens and I'm hooked.

Oh man, it's just getting good. The frame story gets good later on, but the first few chapters are definitely a bit slow.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Oh right, he is pretty good at that. In his interviews many people also assumed he had gone to a university. He had, but only for a short while and he sucked at it. He was pretty good at describing this school feeling too.

Things in this book have really good names and he creates his own authentic kind of slang "What does that have to do with the price of butter" for example.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
I believe this can be considered an instance of literary work.

I just finished reading listening to the article How and Why Space X Will Colonize Mars and found it very exciting and informative. A must read for people who care just a little about space.
This guy goes very much in depth with the article. I believe you will be able to understand everything he talks about from the article itself without any background. It explains why it's important for us to colonize Mars and other planets. I am convinced :).

Level 15
I'm almost half way I think. I'm hooked. <3

How is it going now? Any thoughts on it?

Also, I've finished the first 2 books of the Steelheart series by Brandon Sanderson. They were great, and as usual Brandon Sanderson has held true to form by taking something as common as superheroes and twisting and changing them enough to make a compelling story. I felt that he did a much better job with his characters this time around as well, better than Mistborn, and on-par with Stormlight Archive. I'm eagerly looking forward to the third book.

Also, I just read "The Emperor's Blades", the first book in The Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne. It was an interesting read, but it struggled to keep me hooked at the beginning. However, it got much better towards the end, and I'm working my way through the second book at the moment. I would recommend it.

Level 34
I finished both Kingkiller books. So good. I love the adventure theme (small story lines instead of one big one). I didn't like the sex in the book.
The Fae section kinda sucked, and I didn't like how Kvothe's relations are pretty much a teenage wet dream.

Wasn't Firefight a bit disappointing with length? I wanted more! :p

Level 15
I finished both Kingkiller books. So good. I love the adventure theme (small story lines instead of one big one). I didn't like the sex in the book.
The Fae section kinda sucked, and I didn't like how Kvothe's relations are pretty much a teenage wet dream.

Wasn't Firefight a bit disappointing with length? I wanted more! :p

Yeah, I agree with you on the entire fae section. That scene dragged on a little too long, and the whole sex thing with Felurian was just too much for too long.
However, I still really enjoy the books as a whole. Also, Patrick Rothfuss is working with Lionsgate on getting a movie deal and TV series worked out, you can read about it here.

And yeah, the end of Firefight came way too soon. Talk about a cliffhanger. Great books, looking forward to the last one.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
is this how it's done?
Okay. I really couldn't agree more about the
Fae
scene. It's boring and long. Aside from that I think I love everything in the books. I can't wait for book 3. I have waited 2-3 years already.

I am still crunching away on Eragon book 3. I have about 7 hours left on it. I keep getting the feeling that the world is actually shallow but they try to make it seem deep by continuously pulling out new names and history out of their ass with no prior reference. I may have high expectations after having read Tolkien and Rothfuss. The story is quite catching though.

Level 21
I keep getting the feeling that the world is actually shallow but they try to make it seem deep by continuously pulling out new names and history out of their ass with no prior reference.
This is the case in many books,movies and games

Level 15
is this how it's done?
Okay. I really couldn't agree more about the
Fae
scene. It's boring and long. Aside from that I think I love everything in the books. I can't wait for book 3. I have waited 2-3 years already.

I am still crunching away on Eragon book 3. I have about 7 hours left on it. I keep getting the feeling that the world is actually shallow but they try to make it seem deep by continuously pulling out new names and history out of their ass with no prior reference. I may have high expectations after having read Tolkien and Rothfuss. The story is quite catching though.

Yeah, the wait for book 3 has been long. I read Wise Man's Fear in one sitting on the day it was released in 2011, it's been a long wait since.

Eragon, for me, falls into the category of "Great when I read it when I was younger, pretty terrible now that I've branched out and read so many different books."

It is LITERALLY Star Wars Episodes 4-6 in a Fantasy world. Young boy lives on farm with Uncle, Uncle dies from fire, Boy runs away with Wise Old Man. Wise Old Man gives him his Father's Sword. Boy joins the rebels, one of the big bad guys is his father, etc.

Roland

R

Roland

It is LITERALLY Star Wars Episodes 4-6 in a Fantasy world. Young boy lives on farm with Uncle, Uncle dies from fire, Boy runs away with Wise Old Man. Wise Old Man gives him his Father's Sword. Boy joins the rebels, one of the big bad guys is his father, etc.

Some stories are messed up and making a twist on the reader's imagination or it's way of thinking.. :wink:

I read tons of books about pick-locking and CCTV Sabotage. It was enjoying to read it so I tried numerous times on pick-locking some of the principal doors in school and trying to remove the wires of the CCTV and worked <3 Reading the Anarchist's cookbook it's also fun and enjoying. So as Noli Me Tangere & El Filibusterismo By: J.P Rizal is a fun way to understand the culture of the Filipinos in 17-18th Century.

Level 19
we should make a warcraft creep paste... I'm really sorry if this is the wrong section, but I'm really puzzled where I should write it?

Readers lodge was my best guess...

I'm not writing it!

Level 34
This isn't the right section for that. This is thread is intended for talking about books, hence Reader's Lounge.

There's always Off-Topic, or the Screenwriting/Storyboard Forum.

Level 36
Halfway through Way of Kings now, and Sanderson is slowly earning my very deep
respect as a fantasy author of diversity. Sure some of the magic is similar, but there
is a reason for that. However, the world he's created here, which is so vastly different
from the Mistborn world, is so alien and strange, and yet at the same time it's thrilling
and not confusing. I also love the style of the telling: This fractional way of looking at
a story through the eyes of several different characters. Which in the beginning doesn't
have anything to do with each other, but as the story progress they slowly start
intertwining. I also love how I'm halfway through it now, and I'm not particularly wiser
toward what the overall plot of the story is.

Sure I know what everyone's "up to", but I still feel like there's something looming on
the horizon, so to speak.

Level 15
Halfway through Way of Kings now, and Sanderson is slowly earning my very deep
respect as a fantasy author of diversity. Sure some of the magic is similar, but there
is a reason for that. However, the world he's created here, which is so vastly different
from the Mistborn world, is so alien and strange, and yet at the same time it's thrilling
and not confusing. I also love the style of the telling: This fractional way of looking at
a story through the eyes of several different characters. Which in the beginning doesn't
have anything to do with each other, but as the story progress they slowly start
intertwining. I also love how I'm halfway through it now, and I'm not particularly wiser
toward what the overall plot of the story is.

Sure I know what everyone's "up to", but I still feel like there's something looming on
the horizon, so to speak.

Absolutely fantastic series so far. It hurts to think that he has said he currently has about 10 books worth of content to go through, and here we are waiting on Book 3.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Finished Eragon book 3. The third book isn't available as an audiobook in my Audible region so I will pass on that one. The series was alright. I liked the universe and the characters but it underwhelmed me for a few reasons as stated earlier.

Anyway, I have started listening to Fight Club the book. It is quite like the movie and you really get a feeling of being inside this guy's head, pretty cool. It's only 5 hours so I will be done with it in no time.

Also, I discovered a podcast which I have been binge listening. I have also been reading this article: http://waitbutwhy.com/2015/01/artificial-intelligence-revolution-1.html .

Ash

Ash

Level 22
I really liked Fight Club. There's some incredible passages in that book. Do you know how true the audiobook is to the book? They dropped a lot of the more serious things in the film, I wonder if they did the same for the audiobook.

Level 36
It hurts to think that he has said he currently has about 10 books worth of content to go through, and here we are waiting on Book 3.

Don't worry, that's why we have this thread, so that you can find suitable substitutes
while waiting for the next book. I'd say, just be glad there will come a next one ;)

Which reminds me that people shouldn't forget what the main purpose of this thread is:
To recommend and review books for others to read, I'm pretty sure we can extend the
current list better than we currently have.

Do you know how true the audiobook is to the book? They dropped a lot of the more serious things in the film, I wonder if they did the same for the audiobook.

I don't have a lot of experience with audio-books, but isn't it generally meant to just be
a dude reading the exact words from the book itself? If that's the case, then they
shouldn't omit anything. And if they do, then I find myself having lost the last vestiges
of respect for audio-books that I had.

Level 34
My understanding of audio books is that it's a direct reading from the book. There are some that are more like radio productions that are acted and narrated. Those are usually abridged.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
There is abridged and unabridged. You usually want unabridged which means every single word is in the book. The other is shortened.

I read one book narrated by Wil Wheaton and the guy in the book actually met Wil Wheaton. Fun stuff like that doesn't come up in written texts.
The book The Areas of My Expertise was narrated by the author himself and it is hilarious because it is a whole show in itself. There are some real gems out there.

Level 51
Just started reading the Mistborn Chronicles because of you guys. Really awesome stuff. Quite refreshing "magic" and battle mechanics as well as loveable characters. I also quite dig the fact that there's not so much scene jumping going on from one character to another. There's the main characters and the story follows them.

Another series I really can recommend:

The Demon Cycle from Peter V. Brett.

Amazing storyline, entertaining progress of the characters, awesome "magic" system as well. Although it suffers quite a bit from the scene jumping mentioned above, it's still one of my favourites.

Level 36
Just started reading the Mistborn

Gotta love it when a thread is successful :D

-

I'd love it if you could spare a moment to sell in that series a little better, as of
currently, most of what you said doesn't really make me want to go and buy it.
Tell us of the storyline, what kind of book is it, if you would compare it to something,
what would that be? So on and so forth.

Review: Three - By Jay Posey

Personally, I could recommend a book called "Three" by Jay Posey, apparently it's part
of a small series of books, but I've only read this first one. It's a sci-fi book set in a
distant, post-apocalyptic, future where humanity has receded, crazed cyborg-like
creatures called the "Weir" roaming the night and killing everyone they find and a world
of technology and despair.

At first glance, this sounds like your average post-apocalyptic story like Fallout,
The Book of Eli and such stories. But before long you will realize that there are deeper
facets of this story, a weird "magical system" that somehow involved technology and
mysticism, and characters with deep and intricate psychological scars. Jay has a very
peculiar writing style, keeping his action quick and enticing by the simple use of so
many punctuations that it could make you dizzy, and you're always kept wondering
whether the characters of the book are good or bad, or maybe neither...

It's a quick, entertaining read, and I loved it.

Level 34
Mistborn Overview

I'm going to try and keep this short.

Mistborn takes place in a world where some people are born with magical powers called Allomancy. These people are able to use metal in their body (either naturally or by ingesting metal flakes) to power different abilities. For example Steel allows someone to push on nearby metal. Iron lets them pull on nearby metal. Pewter greatly enhances physical strength. There are 8 basic metals.

The main character is a girl of about 18 (I forget exactly) who works for a small time criminal. She's grown up on the streets and learned to fend for herself by unknowingly using one of the allomantic metals to sway peoples emotions.

The story takes place in a medieval fantasy setting with tones of industrial England (sort of a Charles Dickens feel). I don't mean steampunk, but it has social elements from that time period. At least that's how I felt reading it. The story takes place in an empire ruled by a tyrant god king.

The story does jump between characters, but the majority is from the view of the main girl.

Level 36
Finally, someone else writing an overview/review :p
- Added a link from the main post.

Two things though: I'd use "trace minerals/metals" instead of plain metals, might sound
a little weird to people who haven't read it otherwise.

And Vin is 16 in the beginning of the first book.

Level 14
I tried getting into the "Percy Jackson" book series.
Not even remotely my cup of tea, they make the greek gods look incredibly lackluster and the story is contrived to all hell.

Speaking of whoever mentioned the audio book, my band's second album is actually going to be an audiobook story with classical backings to it based on a childhood story I crafted.